PDA

View Full Version : Dry ice

jdmck
07-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Has anyone used dry ice for early season hunting to keep our frozen meat cold for some length of time any idea how much I would need to keep our meat frozen for about 7-10 days

panhead
07-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Yeah ... took some on a fishing trip once. Got it on a Friday and threw it in the house freezer overnight and the next morning it looked like it was half gone. Put that in a cooler with frozen meat. Seems like it was completely gone within 3 or 4 days. Wasn't impressed but will add the dry ice I got were chips. Some pretty large one's though ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m feeling like the hind quarters of bad luck

Gulf63
07-27-2016, 12:52 PM
In the heat of summer we use dry ice in one cooler to keep meat and sea food frozen for 10 days and often throw some of the dry ice out when we get home. The more dry ice the better. We take 40lb.

Gulf63
07-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Chips are fine for day use. For long trips the suppliers will cut it in blocks. Keep the block whole and not cut into smaller pieces. A good cooler helps, but we don't have one, yet. Our cooler is of average quality

Just
07-27-2016, 02:49 PM
Where does one buy dry ice?

Gulf63
07-27-2016, 02:58 PM
I purchase mine from Praxair in Vancouver

Depending on where you are, google...Industrial Gases, Supply, Equipment & Services | (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjv99Gd0ZTOAhVN0GMKHeywD10QFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.praxair.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNEHzv8LFZiru6W_4n6FB-zWL-DGWg&sig2=ElLN4CPyMd5bPUJVlob3YA&bvm=bv.128153897,d.cGc)

SSG-man
07-27-2016, 03:30 PM
Keep in mind that it will convert into CO2 gas pressure, so watch you don't blow the lid of your coolers

Sportster
07-27-2016, 03:30 PM
Yeah we used dry ice on a self guided fishing trip to Rivers Inlet some years back and it works great. Buy it in 50lb blocks. We found that we could even make ice cubes with it fast.

jdmck
07-27-2016, 03:32 PM
thnx for the info might do a trila run in Aug fishing

MB_Boy
07-27-2016, 04:31 PM
If Praxair is the place on Clarke in Vancouver they definitely do sell it. As others have said I would buy it in blocks though. Bought some (not blocks) for a trip cruising up to Desolation Sound a few years back and between the overnight in my freezer and then into the cooler it didn't really last more than a couple of days.

Not sure if it would be worth looking at salt ice as an alternative or even an accompaniment to the dry.

ydouask
07-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Years ago I remember reading a story in Outdoor Life or Field & Stream of a couple of fellows who packed dry ice around a bunch of moose meat in their camper... don't recall if it involved coolers or not. They came very close to both being asphyxiated by CO2 gas. Be sure to provide adequate ventilation.

Daybreak
07-27-2016, 09:18 PM
There are some methods of dealing with frozen food and coolers that can get you through 7-10 days without needing dry ice provided it isn't exceptionally hot out. I packed food for 2 adults and 2 children in August on the Island one year and had no issues...

Freeze all your meat packages solid with the freezer setting to its lowest temp.
Once frozen, wrap each item with tinfoil shiny side in and place back in freezer.

Get yourself a large stack of newspapers.
The last thing you do before you get in the truck to leave is pack your coolers.
Plan your meals to some degree and pack the cooler accordingly... things needed last go in first. As each item goes into the cooler wrap it with 3 or 4 layers of newsprint and mark it with a felt marker as to what it is.

Pack the first layer, fill all air spaces and voids with tightly crumpled paper and then cover with a thin layer of newsprint. Pack another layer and repeat until cooler is full. The key is to fill all air voids with either product or crumpled newsprint.

Once your cooler is full, close it up and tape all the seams around the lid. Pack the cooler into the truck with a heavy blanket wrapped entirely around it. Here again,the key is to prevent air movement over the cooler. I use a moving blanket and it acts like an extra wall on the cooler. Cooler is best in the truck cab rather than the box. The more you wrap the cooler the better off you are.

Never expose the cooler to sun or breeze during your drive. Once you arrive, put it in a dark shady place with the blanket in place. Make sure you know what you are after every time you open it and be quick. Every time you remove something fill the resulting void with crumpled newsprint and reapply the tape. The contents will easily last 7 days without thawing. Its air movement within and around the cooler that accelerates the thawing.

A second cooler full of block ice can be used for everyday needs and reduce the need to open the cooler dedicated to meat. Might seem like a hassle but it all works well and gives you good piece of mind knowing your meat will not spoil. Left over paper is always handing in camp for wiping out pots and burning. Good luck out there this fall!

shortrange
07-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Where does one buy dry ice?

Fred Meyer in Bellingham has it.

itsy bitsy xj
07-27-2016, 10:15 PM
Fred Meyer in Bellingham has it.

So does walgreen, winco foods and most other grocery stores down there

shortrange
07-27-2016, 10:53 PM
So does walgreen, winco foods and most other grocery stores down there

Winco? They are usually the cheapest for stuff. I am going to check it out.

walks with deer
07-28-2016, 10:46 PM
What about regular ice saw dus than a barrier like a blanket.. my grandpa used to cut ice out of puntzi lake in the winter cover it in sawdust and ice would last tell the new temperature drop sometimes right through mind you he built the cold house in the ground.

tipper
07-29-2016, 08:59 AM
we used to cut ice at my camp north of Kamloops fill an icehouse and pack tons of sawdust around it. Would last almost all summer

Drillbit
07-29-2016, 09:53 PM
It's always fun to put a few chunks of dry ice in a 1/3 full water bottle and screw the lid on tight.

Always a surprise around camp!