PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do You Select Banded Geese from a Flock?

nor'wester
07-26-2016, 10:15 PM
If you spot a collared goose in a flock, do you target it over the other geese?

A project is underway in Nanaimo to assess the abundance, distribution, and movement of Canada geese in the region. There is a movement among local governments on the island to form a regional goose management plan, in order to mitigate goose-related problems. During the last week of June, 2016, 200 geese were banded and collared during 4 roundups in the Nanaimo area. The objective of banding these geese is to obtain a better understanding of their population size and behavior - for which data does not exist.

Studies generally use the proportion of banded geese shot by hunters as an indicator for harvest levels. Being a hunter, I know that this isn't necessarily accurate, because if marker bands are used (ie. coloured leg bands or collars) many guys will target those birds specifically. This skews the data because it indicates that a higher proportion of geese are being harvested by hunters than what is actually being harvested overall. The purpose of this poll is to assess what portion of banded/collared geese are targeted by hunters, so that calculated harvest levels are more realistic.

If you want more information on the project specifically, and/or want to report band sightings, please visit viu.ca/gooseproject.

Thanks for your input... and remember, "mitigation of goose problems" potentially means better hunting opportunities :) Good shooting!

steelslinger
07-27-2016, 08:44 AM
I'd shoot at it first, second and third then cry as it flew away.

A leg band I can't see from the blind, but a neck band I think I could.

walks with deer
07-28-2016, 10:55 PM
Never seen a leg band..

Probably have shot 5 or 6 banded birds mostly mallards one goose.. normally never noticed tell I was cleaning them lol..

walks with deer
07-28-2016, 10:56 PM
However a neck band would be like the canada I saw with white on its wings..it took me three sets but it died lol.

Chessieguy
08-02-2016, 10:22 AM
I believe that there was some modification to the practice of neck collaring birds as targeting them actually became an issue with the data that it generated. The fact that many hunters targeted the collared birds meant that a higher number than actual were harvested. The move to a reward band was tried as a way to ensure that harvest data was submitted.
I never lucked into one, but had a couple of buddies that both got $100 reward bands.

rbduck
08-03-2016, 01:14 PM
I have a buddy who shot two Canadas with $100.00 reward bands. Same field, two years apart. Beer and pizza was on him that night.

Ron