PDA

View Full Version : Meat packing pack - Recommendations?

Omenator
07-24-2016, 10:33 PM
I'm planning on doing some hunting off the beaten path a bit and am looking for suggestions on a meat packing pack.
As I already have a backpacking pack, it doesn't need to be versatile, it will only be used for meat packing.
I'd like it to handle loads up to 120lbs, and be able to be cleaned after I get home. External frame seems like it'll work just fine and be easier to clean.

Any general suggestions about the best way to get a dead animal from field to cooler are appreciated as I've never done anything but drag my deer to the truck.

BCbuckhunter
07-24-2016, 10:52 PM
Why not just line the pack you already have with a garbage bag and debone the quarters? Good synthetic game bags would be good to have as well.

allan
07-25-2016, 06:31 AM
Garbage bags are not ideal to pack meat in, they often contain products that are used for reduction of odors. My father in law uses mining sample bags which do not contain any extra odor reducing chemicals or additives, the bags are designed to haul rocks so they are super tough. We can put 1/2 a deboned deer into one bag. They have never leaked. We put them into our packs all the time. Just don't leave the meat in the bags for any length of time as it will spoil quickly . Unless you have it submerged in water or a freezer close by.
Too small for moose quarters though. ( I don't know where he gets the bags from)
last moose I packed out just went to a game bag into my pack, (mr6500) when I got home my wife was disgusted to find my pack floating in her newly renovated tub with a pink tinge as I was rinsing the blood out :)

bighornbob
07-25-2016, 08:44 AM
You can also buy ziplock bags that are the size of a pillow case. That's what I pack on extended sheep hunts.

BHB

spatsizi moose
07-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Garbage bags are not ideal to pack meat in, they often contain products that are used for reduction of odors. My father in law uses mining sample bags which do not contain any extra odor reducing chemicals or additives, the bags are designed to haul rocks so they are super tough. We can put 1/2 a deboned deer into one bag. They have never leaked. We put them into our packs all the time. Just don't leave the meat in the bags for any length of time as it will spoil quickly . Unless you have it submerged in water or a freezer close by.
Too small for moose quarters though. ( I don't know where he gets the bags from)

If you are in Vancouver Deakin will have them.

Omenator
07-25-2016, 05:04 PM
The pack I have is a 48 liter pack, too small to really pack all the meat from even a medium sized deer out in. Some of the space will already be taken up by gear. This is my hiking/overnight pack and it's the only one I have currently. So I was thinking of getting another larger pack just for meat hauling. Since it will be specific to meat hauling I was thinking I could get a pack with only the features I need and hopefully save some on the cost.

monasheemountainman
07-25-2016, 05:09 PM
game bags, pillow cases, kifaru makes a washable game bag strap them to frame...good to go

Salix
07-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Kifaru or mystery ranch frame with a cargo panel to carry that weight. If you want a cheaper option look at the llbean hunter carry-all pack. It's a similar concept. I've carried 100lbs+ in one for a few years hunting but it's not as comfortable as my kifaru I now have.
The price is right though for the llbean if you are just looking for a pack for simply packing meat. Get good meat bags, use plastic bags if you want to keep a pack clean but don't leave meat in it long as it can spoil fairly quickly if the weather is warm.
J

Ohwildwon
07-25-2016, 07:04 PM
The pack I have is a 48 liter pack, too small to really pack all the meat from even a medium sized deer out in. Some of the space will already be taken up by gear. This is my hiking/overnight pack and it's the only one I have currently. So I was thinking of getting another larger pack just for meat hauling. Since it will be specific to meat hauling I was thinking I could get a pack with only the features I need and hopefully save some on the cost.

Here is one of the better bangs for the buck....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R7L7YU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Plus Pack Bag, 5250 Cubic Inches

Sitkaspruce
07-25-2016, 07:13 PM
I have this one

http://www.a3sports.ca/index.php/tatonka/lastenkraxe

Best meat hauling pack I have used. Adjustable, tough, lots of lash points and a meat shelf that stands up.

Cheers

SS

skibum
07-27-2016, 09:08 AM
After much research into the same question I went with the Commander X hunting frame plus pack. Took a long time to find a reasonably priced pack in Canada. Because most packs i liked were not available in Canada, shipping and the dollar soon took the price of many packs over $600. Will admit that it was not my very first choice, but there are some limits to what I will spend on a pack. Saying that, I am very impressed with the pack after opening the box.

Found the pack on Amazon.ca, think i got a deal as soon after I bought it for $450Cdn, (edit - changed from $350 --- was what I told the wife) it was pulled from the site, but is now back up for over $500 from the same seller.

https://www.amazon.ca/ALPS-OutdoorZ-9994710-Extreme-Commander/dp/B011YC293S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469635061&sr=8-1&keywords=Commander+X+%2B+Pack

Wentrot
07-27-2016, 10:37 AM
After much research into the same question I went with the Commander X hunting frame plus pack. Took a long time to find a reasonably priced pack in Canada. Because most packs i liked were not available in Canada, shipping and the dollar soon took the price of many packs over $600. Will admit that it was not my very first choice, but there are some limits to what I will spend on a pack. Saying that, I am very impressed with the pack after opening the box.

Found the pack on Amazon.ca, think i got a deal as soon after I bought it for $350Cdn, it was pulled from the site, but is now back up for over $500 from the same seller.

https://www.amazon.ca/ALPS-OutdoorZ-9994710-Extreme-Commander/dp/B011YC293S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469635061&sr=8-1&keywords=Commander+X+%2B+Pack

I use the same one. You will be very pleased. Excellent frigging pack.

two-feet
07-31-2016, 09:26 PM
Cabelas alaska pack frame. $150, just the frame with a shelf, ideal for quarters.

srupp
08-02-2016, 05:00 PM
I have the Cabell guide outfitter..works great.
The tekonsha with shelf is super tough carries large amounts..better for bone in than game bags I'm
Srupp

Omenator
08-25-2016, 11:38 AM
Bought a Alps OutdoorZ Commander. Not too fancy, but hopefully it'll carry the loads fine. Lots of space which is nice.

Ron.C
08-25-2016, 12:00 PM
I've used a Cabela's Alaskan for the last 5 years. Been used on 4 backpack trips for goats, one griz backpack trip, a couple elk hunts, deer and lots of black bear trips.

It's been up and down my local mountain loaded on training hikes probably better than 100 times over 4 years.
It's hauled meat from everything above and worked flawlessly.

I use a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag with it and remove the top bar which makes it easy to sling your rifle when moving.

Cabela's had this frame and harness on sale right now for $129.

jburgundy
08-25-2016, 12:17 PM
The Cabela's Guide frame is on sale right now, with or without a pack. Never used it, but it seems to fit your requirements.

dracb
08-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Buy the mining bags at Deakins in Vancouver. All sorts of sizes and supper tough. See there web site to order if you are not in lower mainland.