PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear Hunting Survey

Bruinhunter
06-17-2007, 12:05 PM
:-D How about your Spring hunting?

coolhunter
06-17-2007, 12:28 PM
I went to squamish for two times and only got some bear's dejecta ,hoho!

mark
06-17-2007, 12:40 PM
The question should be, how many days did you bear hunt and how many could you have shot. I didnt spend anytime actually persuing blackys but could have shot about 25 in my travels!

mikek blacktail
06-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Shot one big bear this year with my new bow could have shot at about fifty others but that's all I'm saying till I get some pics online.

bruin
06-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Shot 1 bear this year, could've shot maybe 20 with a rifle and 3 or 4 with a recurve

Gamebuster
06-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Went out for one afternoon..seen a couple of bears but nothin' that itched my finger....

coolhunter
06-17-2007, 01:37 PM
:-D
The question should be, how many days did you bear hunt and how many could you have shot.

good idea!:-D

rollingrock
06-17-2007, 02:11 PM
The question should be, how many days did you bear hunt and how many could you have shot. I didnt spend anytime actually persuing blackys but could have shot about 25 in my travels!

Still too universal.

For those who only hunt Region 2, how many bear could they have seen and how many bears could have presented a shot for them? It's a complete different situation than you guys who live far from civilization.:mrgreen:

Steeleco
06-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I was there for 2 kills and only really was out twice. All told we saw 4 that were shooters. This year the bar has definitely been raised on what to shoot and what to let walk!! Hope the rest of the year plays out as well.

Byson
06-17-2007, 03:33 PM
i worked this area in Squamish I seen 4 bears 2 were small i could of shot them so many diffrent places i had 1 big guy i was working i seen him on 3 diffrent days but he was way to smart for me to shoot he was off so fast the brush was so hard to work for this guy i didnt really start trying for the last couple of weeks i did manage to take some pics of the smaller Bears with my camera

Wildfoot
06-17-2007, 03:35 PM
went out lots, but im in a totally new area. Saw a few. Got 2 in shooting range. Didnt arrow one because it was first bear on my first day. LOL I regretted that. Shot at the second, but missed!

Aug 1 season opens again.. and they should be on my doorstep then! Living in an orchard has some perks!

hunter1947
06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't like to kill for the hide ,i don't like the meat and I'm not going to shoot a bear for it's hide ,I'm a firm believer that i shoot what i eat.

pupper
06-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I went out to where I know without a doubt I would get a bear and I shot one the first day there, after we all bagged a bear we headed out. It was a weekend trip up country.

After that I saved my second tag for a booner, I saw a couple that wouldve been around the 19" mark but could not get close enough for a shot. I saw a few colour bears and a few blackys but did not fill my second tag which is fine since I have enough meat for now.

dana
06-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Didn't really start looking until Mother's Day. My son killed one that day and I killed one the next weekend. We spent a little bit of time trying to get a second bear for my son. Since his first was a 6'4" brown, we were looking for a 6+ black. We saw several 6 plus bears and a couple in the 7 foot range, just were a little too quick for us is all. Overall, I betcha I saw 40 plus bears in the month I hunted them.

Kirby
06-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Shot one, passed on god knows how many, the day I took mine I passed on 4 in bow range before I dropped it, so I would guess 20-25 in bow range this year? Kinda slow year but then again haven't been out since May 20.

Kirby

todbartell
06-17-2007, 05:56 PM
didnt pursue black bears much although I did buy a tag. During my 6 days of grizzly hunting we passed up a dozen or so bears, only a couple of them were decent sized.

CanAm500
06-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Shot my first big game animal this spring!!!

NaStY
06-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I was fortunetly able to get a bear on my third day out on my first real hunt for the first time in my life. I will never forget the experience and doubt i will ever feel that way again. Still waiting for the skull in hopes it makes the BC record book.:biggrin:

And the best part is he tastes real good too.......

Gateholio
06-17-2007, 07:31 PM
I was out a fair bit this year, saw upwards of 50 bears, had crosshairs on several but never pulled the trigger. I was holding out for a real big one, or a real special one, or one that was a good candidate for trying out my 223, but nothing ever came together at the right time.:-|

Biggest bear I saw this season was right on the highway, about a km from my house!!:mrgreen:

Bear season is still open not to far form here, so we will see how motivated I am!8)

Brambles
06-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Shot mine with my Bow, 30 yards, mostly was turkey hunting and waiting for my new bow to arrive, didn't want to tempt myself with a rifle, really wanted a bow bear.

BCbillies
06-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately only made it out three days for grizz - saw seven but no shooters. Took a young first time hunter out for a blackie and used the predator call to bring in a big ol battled scared boar. Connected at 55 yards. Not so keen to hunt blackies for myself but a good hunt with the rookies!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-17-2007, 09:23 PM
First time I've ever tagged two blackies in one year.
Blackie count had to be in the 70-80 range.
No grizz for myself but had the priviledge of being on Calvin's great grizz as well8).

This season will be hard to top!!:)
Will put more effort into getting a good one next year with my bow.

SSS

Brambles
06-17-2007, 09:47 PM
First time I've ever tagged two blackies in one year.
Blackie count had to be in the 70-80 range.
No grizz for myself but had the priviledge of being on Calvin's great grizz as well8).

This season will be hard to top!!:)
Will put more effort into getting a good one next year with my bow.

SSS

If I was Calvin I would have made you tag that grizz, skull smasher:-D

BowsUp
06-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Hunted three days on the island for the first time, drove a lot, scouting the future neighbourhood.

Shot one on day three, too good a hide to pass on.

Mr. Dean
06-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Got one. Found out that they're excellent eats... Should've taken another.

Live and learn.

srupp
06-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Hmmm out for 4 days for grizzly and "WE" got a "fine" one...
out for 5 days for black bear and got a well furred 6 footer...

All in all a great spring getting ready for summer sheep..

Steven

greenhorn
06-18-2007, 01:09 AM
I got two last season.

I went out twice this season and ended up with one bear. The sausage turned out great!!

I hope I don't get skunked this deer season :)

rollingrock
06-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Altogether I went out for bears for four times, all in Region 2. First time was on opening day. I went after work. Saw nothing. Second time I was out there after work again, saw six bears but passed five of them up, put a stalk on a big chocolate brown but didn't succeed. The third time was on May long weekend, also after work, on a camping trip. On my way I took that good eating small bear plus a nice hide. The fourth time I really passed up a big one as my freezer is full and it would cost a lot money to get him processed. So the tag is saved for a fall bear.

Elkhound
06-18-2007, 11:40 AM
none for me. was in on a few kills with others though. Helping my wife take her first was a real highlite for me. Lost track of how many bears we saw. Got footage of a few too which I will post when I get the time. Stalked 3 with the bow. Could have taken 2of them.....they just were not "the one" but had the most enjoyable bear season ever.

stanway
06-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Nothing for me, but I never had a chance to get out either.

moosinaround
06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Seen tons of blackies, only hunted one day and my buddy conected on a small one. Made pepperoni and smokies and WOW are they good. So good I'm taking one myself in the fall. They are pretty fun to hunt, and my son was very excited to get out there and shoot a bear. Excellent way to start a season off, this was my first spring bear hunt, but it won't be my last. Moosin

Islandman
06-19-2007, 08:34 PM
There were lots of bears on the North Island this year. Hard to go out without seeing half a dozen each time. Shooting was another story. Seems I can never miss when it's deer, but I managed to miss three bears while trying for headshots this spring. In the end I managed to connect with one just before the season ended, and my partner dropped another one. All I can say is I am looking forward to what the fall will bring. Maybe now I can get past that psychological block or whatever it was when I was shooting at bears. My new wife says she wants a bear rug. Does it get any better than when your woman is onside with you?