PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Optics

Savage230
07-24-2016, 07:50 AM
So I am in the market for new glass. I'm looking to be in the $400 -600 range and I am wondering what peoples preferences are?

I was leaning towards Vortex but that was mostly for the warranty but after doing some reading it appears that several of the optic companies offer the same lifetime warranty.

So lets here what your running and how it preforms.

Thnaks

Seth
07-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Scope, Binoculars or Spotter?

adriaticum
07-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Scope, Binoculars or Spotter?

Ha,ha or reading glasses.

Harvest the Land
07-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Leupold VXIII. Can see really well both first and last light. Easy to adjust. Lifetime warranty. Very durable, I dinged mine pretty good while hiking though thick blacktail country and no scratches at all. Love the gold ring. That said, I have a pair of Vortex Vipers binoculars and those things are absolutely amazing to look through (Vortex makes good stuff too imo)

Savage230
07-24-2016, 08:10 AM
awesome, thanks for the input I will check those out.

Bear Brawler
07-24-2016, 08:13 AM
I have a Swarovski X5 and a Vortex HS-LR. Both awesome! The Vortex is bomber proof, easy to see through and I think a great deal for the money. I have heard Nikon is doing the warranty thing now but I have not looked through a pair. I would look at Vortex and Nikon for the price range you're talking and I don't think you can go wrong with either. My binos are 10 yr old Bushnell Elite 2's and still work amazingly, but will be my next upgrade.

luger
07-24-2016, 08:26 AM
Also check out burris. They have a no questions asked warrenty and from what I could tell it was good stuff. I borrowed a rifle with a Burris 3-9 for 5 weekends and i liked that scope. I went with spending a bunch more to get a leupold though. All my family runs leupold everything 4 sets of bios and 5 scopes ( 2-10 years old) and we have never had a problem. Just make sure when you buy a leupold that you are buying a Canadian leupold. They won't warrenty a American leupold in canada. ( just call Korth group and tell them the serial.

russm
07-24-2016, 08:49 AM
I was torn between leupold, vortex and nikon for my new scope until i came across a zeiss that was on sale in my price range, I haven't had any issues with the vortex that I have but when comparing to the zeiss side by side it looked like you were looking through the vottex at dusk or right before the sun comes up, the zeiss has a better defined reticle too. If I didn't end up with the one i bought I would've gone vortex over leupold and nikon wouldve been my last choice.

Savage230
07-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Also check out burris. They have a no questions asked warrenty and from what I could tell it was good stuff. I borrowed a rifle with a Burris 3-9 for 5 weekends and i liked that scope. I went with spending a bunch more to get a leupold though. All my family runs leupold everything 4 sets of bios and 5 scopes ( 2-10 years old) and we have never had a problem. Just make sure when you buy a leupold that you are buying a Canadian leupold. They won't warrenty a American leupold in canada. ( just call Korth group and tell them the serial.

Thanks for the response. I think I am considering the leupold vx1 and the vortex dimond back or viper. Depends on price.

RackStar
07-24-2016, 11:14 AM
Vx3i.......

Shooter Jr.
07-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Definitely check out the leupold VX3i, really cool scope, and fantastic for the price. After having many first hand problems with vortex personally, I stay away from them. Nikon never impressed me clarity and contrast wise. They were fine, but i always found a vortex, or a leupold in the same price range that seemed to perform better. I say compare as many you can side by side.

Leupold VX3i gets my vote.

tipper
07-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Stay away from the cheap vortex stuff, I have a few different pairs and the diamondback stuff is junk.

Shooter Jr.
07-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Stay away from the cheap vortex stuff, I have a few different pairs and the diamondback stuff is junk.
I had the same experience with the expensive stuff... Lost a little bit of faith in them afterwards. I've gone leupold and never looked back!

Also, the VX3, and the VX3L is probably all gone (discontinued for the VX3i) but if you can find some old stock, I'm sure you can get a sweet deal on a VX3/L

Fred1
07-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Leu's are always a good bet. I was given a Minox 3x9 pipe two years ago. (About$400) Amazing glass! Put it up to my $800 Leu any day Even in low light I smashed it pretty hard on a boat and the eye piece came loose and fogged. Sent it back. Got a whole new pipe no questions. I'll keep using the Minox until I have $800 sitting around doing nothing.... Then I would buy the Leupold. Im a guy that would rather pay once and never have to use the warranty... But shit happens. I'm sure any scope would have been damaged from that knock on the boat. Standing behind a product is everything. There are some great choices out there in your price range. Bushnell is makes some great stuff too with good warranty. Oh and don't bother with the 50mm pipe. You won't need it. Good luck

Wentrot
07-24-2016, 12:05 PM
I had the same experience with the expensive stuff... Lost a little bit of faith in them afterwards. I've gone leupold and never looked back!

Also, the VX3, and the VX3L is probably all gone (discontinued for the VX3i) but if you can find some old stock, I'm sure you can get a sweet deal on a VX3/L

Which items failed?

Wentrot
07-24-2016, 12:05 PM
I have a Swarovski X5 and a Vortex HS-LR. Both awesome! The Vortex is bomber proof, easy to see through and I think a great deal for the money. I have heard Nikon is doing the warranty thing now but I have not looked through a pair. I would look at Vortex and Nikon for the price range you're talking and I don't think you can go wrong with either. My binos are 10 yr old Bushnell Elite 2's and still work amazingly, but will be my next upgrade.

Vortex hs lr X2. Awesome scope

Shooter Jr.
07-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Which items failed?

My Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 fogged up so bad, moisture droplets formed on the inside lenses (first time in the rain). That PST was replaced. The new PST had tracking issues in the turrets.
My brothers HST never held a zero out of the box. New leupold rings, torqued to leupold specs, and sprayed the paper. My brother hasn't tested his replacement yet.
Aside from my moms Diamondback binos, all of ours binos had to go in. My dads Viper 3 times (fogging and or eye cups coming apart), my crossfires never made it to warranty as I upgraded (eye cups).

All this being said, my current PST is on top of my Savage mod 25 .223, and I like the scope. Its not that the scopes are bad, I'm just concerned about reliability, so they stay on my range toys.

SaintSix
07-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Hs LR sits on my main hunting rifle and I also have a viper pst that works great. I have a vx2 on my 17hmr that's never had a issue either. My last 7mm wsm used to have a vx3 that worked well for years until I sold the gun. and my Nightforce is on my long range rifle. Maybe I'm just lucky but i've never had any issues with any my scopes and i've fallen on more then one. Sometimes I think some peoples comments might have more to do with the shooter then perhaps a bad scope??

savagecanuck
07-25-2016, 04:19 PM
A great scope in your price range is the Bushnell Elite 4200 series.I have one in 4-16 DOA reticle .I got it on sale for $399.They have the rainguard coating on the glass which really helps in crap weather days.I have it on my new deer rig 243 vanguard S2.I looked thru it on a foggy day with big wet flakes coming down and it was amazingly bright.Sightron hunter series get good recomendations as well.
I'm also a big Vortex fan and own many of there products and never an issue.I have a PST 6-24x50 on my T3 varmint.HST 6-24x50 on my precision 22 BR gun.Viper HS 4-16 on my 270

curt
07-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Leupold optics IMO of over priced they are like a honda riding on the former reputation ya they are ok but some other companes have done some major improving .......you can get just as good or better optics for less money vortex are as good or better, bushnell elite series are nice .....and lower end Ziess you could pick up for somewhere close to your top end price too bud do one extra overtime shift and do it!!

Weatherby Fan
07-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Leupold optics IMO of over priced they are like a honda riding on the former reputation ya they are ok but some other companes have done some major improving .......you can get just as good or better optics for less money vortex are as good or better, bushnell elite series are nice .....and lower end Ziess you could pick up for somewhere close to your top end price too bud do one extra overtime shift and do it!!

I have to agree Curt

and I'm a diehard Leupold VX3 line of scope user, 30 years now and never a failure or lost a zero, I have bought several scopes lately that have as good or better optics but I'm still leary of testing the ruggedness/dependability of the other brands while hunting, Ill stick to the Leupolds for hunting.

Shooter Jr.
07-25-2016, 06:49 PM
For me, weight was a big thing. I really liked the Zeiss glass, but it was extremely heavy when compared to the Swarovski Z3/5 or leupold VX-6. Same deal with vortex. The eye relief on a Leupold or Swarovski was amazing. Far less generous than my PST.

russm
07-25-2016, 07:14 PM
For me, weight was a big thing. I really liked the Zeiss glass, but it was extremely heavy when compared to the Swarovski Z3/5 or leupold VX-6. Same deal with vortex. The eye relief on a Leupold or Swarovski was amazing. Far less generous than my PST.

There is a pretty noticeable weight difference between the zeiss and leupold, but to my eyes the glass was much better in the zeiss, i picked up a zeiss terra on sale for $399 from $550.

REMINGTON JIM
07-25-2016, 08:49 PM
I got as Brand New Tasco 6-24 Varmit scope that i am trying to
Give to WF for his 240 WBee Ultra light - hes thinks its NOT up to Snuff for that rifle & cartriddge ! Lifetime Warranty too ! :smile: RJ

Gr8 white hunter
07-25-2016, 09:05 PM
So how would a Vx 3i 4.5 -14 x40 match up to a 338 mod 70 Wincheste.

375shooter
07-25-2016, 09:32 PM

For a scope of that power range, it's a good choice, IMO. Light weight is best for heavy recoiling rifles, for durability reasons. Although, I wouldn't consider M70 .338WM very heavy recoil.

kevan
07-25-2016, 09:58 PM
Give to WF for his 240 WBee Ultra light - hes thinks its NOT up to Snuff for that rifle & cartriddge ! Lifetime Warranty too ! :smile: RJ

That scope is popular with .22 rimfire shooters... LOL !

Gr8 white hunter
07-25-2016, 10:04 PM
Ok what would you suggest Im looking for the right match.

375shooter
07-25-2016, 10:29 PM

I have a 1.75-6 on my .338WM, but I'm not suggesting anyone to do the same. That's just my preference for the type of hunting I do, with this rifle, at this time. I generally don't shoot past 250 yards. The 6 power has been perfectly adequate for this distance, and I also know it will work out to 400, no problem. It seems the 4.5-14 is pretty popular these days. It just depends on what type of hunting YOU do, but anything from 1.75-6 and up, should work.

375shooter
07-25-2016, 11:14 PM

I have a 1.75-6 on my .338WM, but I'm not suggesting anyone to do the same. That's just my preference for the type of hunting I do, with this rifle, at this time. I generally don't shoot past 250 yards. The 6 power has been perfectly adequate for this distance, and I also know it will work out to 400, no problem. It seems the 4.5-14 is pretty popular these days. It just depends on what type of hunting YOU do, but anything from 1.75-6 and up, should work.

Oh yeah, and I should add that I've used my .338 for grizzly hunting, and intend to continue doing so. I don't particularly favor the idea of following up a grizzly in thick cover with a scope set on 4.5 power. 1.75 to 2 power, seems like a better idea to me. My rifle doesn't have open sights, so removing the scope for that job, is not on option. A VX6 2-12x40 might be worth looking at. It's still a little heavier than I like for a .338WM, though.

Weatherby Fan
07-26-2016, 12:29 AM

A VX3i 3.5-10x40 or as you mention above 4.5-14x40 would be ideal for your rifle, if it's your only rifle for hunting I would go with one of those two options.

Weatherby Fan
07-26-2016, 12:41 AM

Funny......being a Scottsman with short arms and deep pockets and your trying to GIVE it away........now I've heard everything.....you must be half a bottle in if it's free ;-)

You send me that piece of junk scope on your 240 and keep the Tasco for yourself........I couldn't possibly take that fine instrument from you buddy !

REMINGTON JIM
07-26-2016, 08:50 PM
LOL :lol: RJ

Savage230
07-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Well thanks for all the advise and I think I am going to go into Cabelas and have a look at some of my options and go from there.