PDA

View Full Version : taking youth hunting

scotty30-06
07-21-2016, 04:29 PM
I have seen in the regs about kids have to be 10 for youth license but am I able to have my 8 year old daughter accompany me on the hunt aslong as there is no plans for her to pull trigger

Stone Sheep Steve
07-21-2016, 04:35 PM
I have seen in the regs about kids have to be 10 for youth license but am I able to have my 8 year old daughter accompany me on the hunt aslong as there is no plans for her to pull trigger

Absolutley! That's where the passion is born.

scotty30-06
07-21-2016, 04:39 PM
OK awesome....all I could find is 10 and up

Stone Sheep Steve
07-21-2016, 04:47 PM
OK awesome....all I could find is 10 and up
10 and up refers to actual but hunting. Once they turn 10 you can either let them fill your tags under A junior license...or once they pass the CORE they can get their own tags to fill. In both cases they can hunt during the youth seasons.

scotty30-06
07-21-2016, 05:10 PM
OK gotcha....youngest loves following me on squirrel and rabbit hunt and loves the idea of coyote hunting....but this is the first year going after bucks with me

swampthing
07-21-2016, 05:19 PM
My son started coming along right after he learned to wipe his own azz. About 4 years old. You cant leave em at home!

yamadirt 426
07-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Yes 3 & 4 is when i took the kids out duck hunting. The boy doesnt want to wait until he is 10 before he pops a grouse. He can shoot a bottle cap at 10yds with a peep sight on 22 rascal while standing. hes turning 8 this year.

scotty30-06
07-21-2016, 05:46 PM
Yea both my stepdaughters are awesome shots and the youngest has dropped many a tree rat in the back yard

two-feet
07-21-2016, 05:47 PM
URL=http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/two-feet1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsy7ysehdj.jpeg.html]http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r748/two-feet1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsy7ysehdj.jpeg[/URL]

scotty30-06
07-21-2016, 11:12 PM
Hahahahha.....awesome pic bro

MRP
07-22-2016, 07:32 AM
my boys been hunting since he was born. stopping to change diapers on a hunt is just part of the whole dad experience.

chris
07-22-2016, 08:37 AM
my kid has been coming with me since he was 3. Mostly road hunting type stuff but slowly going for longer and longer outings. he is 5 now and has been with me for lots of grouse and a couple bears and bucks. It's never to early just don't push them. If they want to take a break and have a snack or climb a tree let them. I have always let my son set the tone of the hunt because after all I want him to become hooked.

HarryToolips
07-22-2016, 03:14 PM
My son started coming along right after he learned to wipe his own azz. About 4 years old. You cant leave em at home!
How did he take to seeing something die that early??? Sorry to slightly derail the thread there Scotty...my little guy turns 4 in November, can't wait to take him out, I'm just worried about how he'll react to an animal dying..wicked pic there Two Feet...

Bear Chaser
07-22-2016, 07:17 PM
How did he take to seeing something die that early??? Sorry to slightly derail the thread there Scotty...my little guy turns 4 in November, can't wait to take him out, I'm just worried about how he'll react to an animal dying..wicked pic there Two Feet...

Kids are far more resilient and accepting of new experiences than adults. If you take the time to explain that the animal you are killing is the food on his table he will be on board. Obviously a clean humane kill will reinforce that.

Fresh tasty deer backstrap on the table also helps.:smile:

mastercaster
07-22-2016, 08:38 PM
my kid has been coming with me since he was 3. Mostly road hunting type stuff but slowly going for longer and longer outings. he is 5 now and has been with me for lots of grouse and a couple bears and bucks. It's never to early just don't push them. If they want to take a break and have a snack or climb a tree let them. I have always let my son set the tone of the hunt because after all I want him to become hooked.

Same here with both my kids. At the age of 4 he was a seasoned co-pilot,,,,,,the smile says it all!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/mastercaster07/IMGP1620_zpsa4c029b7.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mastercaster07/media/IMGP1620_zpsa4c029b7.jpg.html)

This is what they did when we'd take a break:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/mastercaster07/ps_2011_08_08___13_58_52_zpsfwzfrndr.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mastercaster07/media/ps_2011_08_08___13_58_52_zpsfwzfrndr.jpg.html)

My daughter could really shoot,,,,,,my son had trouble hitting a barn door back then. Turns out he was left eye dominant. Who knew?? LOL
They both really enjoy hunting as adults now.

HarryToolips
07-22-2016, 08:59 PM
Kids are far more resilient and accepting of new experiences than adults. If you take the time to explain that the animal you are killing is the food on his table he will be on board. Obviously a clean humane kill will reinforce that.

Fresh tasty deer backstrap on the table also helps.:smile:
Thanks bud, I'm sure your right...^^^awesome pics...

albravo2
07-22-2016, 09:15 PM
my boys been hunting since he was born. stopping to change diapers on a hunt is just part of the whole dad experience.

Dang. That is hardcore. When my kids were really young I wanted the peace and quiet and solitude of hunting solo but I have a ton of respect for dads that bring kids along from a very young age.

Boner
07-22-2016, 09:35 PM

Ive put a lot of thought into kids' reactions. I think much of the time they are based on what other people's reactions are at that time. Leave the bleeding hearts at home, and I think things will be OK.

I plan on taking my little one out for a grouse hunt this fall and working up the food chain as she gets older.

mastercaster
07-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Ive put a lot of thought into kids' reactions. I think much of the time they are based on what other people's reactions are at that time. Leave the bleeding hearts at home, and I think things will be OK.

I plan on taking my little one out for a grouse hunt this fall and working up the food chain as she gets older.

Oh, so true. I remember quite clearly, even though it was 2 1/2 decades ago, when I'd step on the wings of a grouse to get the breast my kids would check out the guts and if the heart was still beating they wanted to hold it in their hand.

Strange, as it may seem, they turned out to be incredibly normal,,,,cried like babies when they watched "Old Yeller". LOL

two-feet
07-23-2016, 02:07 PM
Kids love to get right in there with the blood and guts. I encourage it because thats real life, thats our food, and the human race has been teaching our young to hunt since we bacame the human race. Hunting for food in the chips and pop isle at safeway is effective, but does not nourish the body and soul.

IslandWanderer
08-28-2021, 01:56 PM
10 and up refers to actual but hunting. Once they turn 10 you can either let them fill your tags under A junior license...or once they pass the CORE they can get their own tags to fill. In both cases they can hunt during the youth seasons.

Bumping an older thread.

I'd agree with this. I've read the regs well, and would think if a youth license wasn't allowed during the youth season it would likely be written in there.