PDA

View Full Version : New Kuiu Camo Pattern

SR80
07-21-2016, 06:34 AM
Looks like kuiu is changing up their verde camo pattern..verde 2.0

http://www.gohunt.com/read/news/kuiu-changing-camo-patterns

GetLethal
07-21-2016, 06:38 AM
I like it, makes me wish I wouldve waited when i ordered vias gear. Haha next time!

nolimits
07-21-2016, 07:14 AM
Not bad at all but I still prefer the original Verde.

NorBC
07-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Well I was hoping not to do another order this season, but........

swampthing
07-21-2016, 06:29 PM
It looks good. Way better than the original verde stuff. I am glad I don't like it better than my vias. Don't need to make another order.

ditch donkey
07-21-2016, 07:13 PM
i sense another sr80 outdoors clothing blowout in the near future

Wentrot
07-21-2016, 07:41 PM
Looks like optifade..

leadpillproductions
07-21-2016, 08:31 PM
i like the old version more the green for elk season hard to beat i think

albravo2
07-21-2016, 08:40 PM
I am convinced camo is designed for a hunter's eye, not the animal's.

That said, I like the new camo and will undoubtedly end up with some in my gun room.

SR80
07-22-2016, 06:07 AM
i sense another sr80 outdoors clothing blowout in the near future iy

nahh i don't really care for it

BgBlkDg
07-22-2016, 07:14 AM
All of these camo patterns are designed to "fool" hunters-buyers, NOT game.

I have never seen an example of such duds actually making me more successful in finding and sneaking up on game than I have been wearing dull earthtones and masking my hands and face. SCENT and sudden movements of "white" skin are the real issues, IMHO, much more than what latest camo one wears.

Ten years ago, I slowly snuck to with ten feet of a spike Blacktail on Texada and shot him with one of my 7x57 rifles, I was wearing dull green Filson whip cords, old green woolen sweater and a bandana, gloves and my ancient Kangol British "tanker" beret, again, dull green.

Turkeys, OK, I have and wear camo, but, ungulates, doubt there is any REAL difference. YMMV, if you enjoy it, do it, this is all about fun anyway.

ajr5406
07-22-2016, 07:58 AM
All of these camo patterns are designed to "fool" hunters-buyers, NOT game.

I have never seen an example of such duds actually making me more successful in finding and sneaking up on game than I have been wearing dull earthtones and masking my hands and face. SCENT and sudden movements of "white" skin are the real issues, IMHO, much more than what latest camo one wears.

Ten years ago, I slowly snuck to with ten feet of a spike Blacktail on Texada and shot him with one of my 7x57 rifles, I was wearing dull green Filson whip cords, old green woolen sweater and a bandana, gloves and my ancient Kangol British "tanker" beret, again, dull green.

Turkeys, OK, I have and wear camo, but, ungulates, doubt there is any REAL difference. YMMV, if you enjoy it, do it, this is all about fun anyway.

That's my understanding too. What are your thoughts on avoiding blue clothes? I understand ungulates can see blues very well and should be avoided if you want to be stealthy.

NorBC
07-22-2016, 10:13 AM
All hail BgblkDg's experience and knowledge ��

BgBlkDg
07-22-2016, 04:56 PM
That's my understanding too. What are your thoughts on avoiding blue clothes? I understand ungulates can see blues very well and should be avoided if you want to be stealthy.

I don't know about blue clothing, did some reading decades ago on the then new research concerning the rod and cone cells in the eyes of Cervidae, which, apparently enabled them to see red. I have not followed this up and my subjective impression is that the movement, pale skin display and scent issues are by FAR the most important in evading detection by animals when hunting.

I have always worn dull colours for hunting, have a lot of camo, but, have never seen it make a real difference. Who knows, perhaps some super camo, stretchy, WPB, *kewl* fabric will soon emerge for every mountain hunter to wear and instantly kill *crankers* when doing so.................

I wonder, would my bino be more effective if it were *Verde* or maybe *Multicam*, then there IS *pink camo* now, just the ticket for some............. ;)

charlie_horse
07-22-2016, 06:50 PM
I love camo because when I'm wearing it, it means I'm hunting. And boy do I love hunting.

jacksondog
07-22-2016, 06:58 PM
I love camo because when I'm wearing it, it means I'm hunting. And boy do I love hunting.Well said, well said :)

BromBones
07-22-2016, 07:44 PM
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13692687_1012961468752434_3221793259699163739_n.jp g?oh=1fa090296dd9ccba3b0f50720b7251d2&oe=58195687

From a critters point of view, what makes any one of these patterns less visible than the others? :lol::lol:

Version 2.0 will let you sneak up closer than the original?

swampthing
07-31-2016, 08:30 AM
Camo is all in the eyes of the dude wearing it. I don't feel its helped me a bunch in most hunting. Love it though!! If they make it I will buy it. I have a costume for everything I do. One for work, one for quading, one for taking the wife to dinner. My hunting costume is a top favorite though.

fuzzybiscuit
07-31-2016, 09:08 AM
Fisherdude swears his camo that matches the seat covers in his Duramax really help him to blend in and give him all the advantages that he needs.

brian
07-31-2016, 11:42 AM
The fashion industry relies on an annual transformation of suckers I mean peoples wardrobes in order to maximize profits.

Lastcar
07-31-2016, 12:49 PM
It is an interesting slice of the hunting industry. Both from the retail perspective and the user perspective.

Camo patterns are to a large degree a "fashion" thing or brand loyalty thing amongst many hunters.

No doubt these companies know making new stuff all the time is what makes them more money.

Clearly, there is a demand for it as people buy it all the time. Who is right and who is wrong is kinda moot in my opinion. These companies give back to conservation and other forms of lobbying for sportsmen. Sponsor events and generally do good for the critters and outdoorsmen.

I came into hunting from a background of backpacking, backcountry skiing and other backcountry activities I noticed a lack of technical clothing geared directly to hunters.

There were things I didn't realize at the time. There are many effective ways to hunt. Not all hunters are putting in miles and miles of hiking every day.

There is a ton of reasons for a huge percentage of hunters to not need advanced technical hunting clothing. At a cost of thousands of dollars for a basic kit to boot.

Never mind the fact that more critters to date have been killed by hunters wearing plaid, jeans, wool pants, Stanfields, etc.

I fell hook, line, and sinker for Sitka gear when I started. I have to say I love their gear other than a few pieces. It reminded me of what I was used to using in the backcountry.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd go down the same path. It is comfortable, durable and tends to be well thought out. I'd have gone with more solids than camo. As I upgrade various pieces, I always look at the solid options.
Does the camo matter? Doubt it. Do movement and stink matter? Sure does. Was told it over and over when I started. Took no time to confirm. If seeing the ass end of a deer bounding away was the goal I'd be a legend in the hunting world.

I got into archery last year and was fortunate enough to get very close to a couple of critters. One was a buck with 3 does. One of the does knew something was up and kept an eye on my general area. Would she have noticed without the camo, maybe not.

I didn't move an inch while she stared in my direction. Which I am sure was the primary reason.

But once down to 30 yards I am sure the camo came into play. Ended up getting busted by a couple of quads pulling up on a road about 150 yards back. Every time I followed the deer across a road I'd think to myself it is only a matter of time...and sure enough. Frustrated at first, but had a chuckle with them about it. Was a cool experience to get that close and start to plan out a shot.

The other was a black bear at about 10 yards, but it had zero idea I was there. I likely could have worn a clown costume and got the close.

Wind was well in my favour it was so focused on feeding. I moved in slowly and quietly. A smaller bear and it was hot as hell out so I passed. I was concerned about what kind of blood trail I'd have and how long it may take to find in that heat. I know it was the right decision but part of me wonders.

https://youtu.be/6YYB_8WTYD8

I think in the end, Charlie_Horse said it best "I love camo because when I'm wearing it, it means I'm hunting. And boy do I love hunting." Isn't that what matters? People get out hunting and enjoy the crap out of themselves? :-)

BgBlkDg
07-31-2016, 01:22 PM
The single largest Mule Deer rack I have ever seen shot in BC, came from behind where I used to live at Nelson, BC. It was shot by the late W.C. "Bill" McDonald, and I started hunting with his eldest son, the late Tom "Mucko" McDonald when I was 18 and he was 16.

Camo, was unheard of, we wore WWII Canadian battledress pants, dull brown and "Indian Sweaters" often brown or, best in snowy conditions, white with green/brown tree designs. These worked BETTER, overall, than the camo I have seen worn and with merino wool "Mellofleece" under them, were warm, dry and also breathed as you sweated at below freezing temps. climbing the steep ridges of the Kootenays.

Bill, as I knew him for years, usually wore a red/black checked "Mackinaw" from "Pioneer" and the surplus battledress....and guys like him shot more game than most here have ever seen.

I would STILL prefer good dull coloured woolen pants, the old "Pioneer" or "Caribou" brands, or Swedish-German surplus and a good "Indian sweater" for late season hunting over ANY of the new camo, wonder fabrics. In fact, I wish someone would make the old "Indian Sweaters", to the quality that our mums and granmas did, nothing worked as well in BC bush in more different conditions.

Lastcar
07-31-2016, 02:13 PM
The single largest Mule Deer rack I have ever seen shot in BC, came from behind where I used to live at Nelson, BC. It was shot by the late W.C. "Bill" McDonald, and I started hunting with his eldest son, the late Tom "Mucko" McDonald when I was 18 and he was 16.

Camo, was unheard of, we wore WWII Canadian battledress pants, dull brown and "Indian Sweaters" often brown or, best in snowy conditions, white with green/brown tree designs. These worked BETTER, overall, than the camo I have seen worn and with merino wool "Mellofleece" under them, were warm, dry and also breathed as you sweated at below freezing temps. climbing the steep ridges of the Kootenays.

Bill, as I knew him for years, usually wore a red/black checked "Mackinaw" from "Pioneer" and the surplus battledress....and guys like him shot more game than most here have ever seen.

I would STILL prefer good dull coloured woolen pants, the old "Pioneer" or "Caribou" brands, or Swedish-German surplus and a good "Indian sweater" for late season hunting over ANY of the new camo, wonder fabrics. In fact, I wish someone would make the old "Indian Sweaters", to the quality that our mums and granmas did, nothing worked as well in BC bush in more different conditions.

It is funny. They built the goddamn railway across the country including and most importantly The Rockies without any of the modern clothing. I often think about that when I slip on my fancy ass gear. Standing at the edge of The Rockies they said, well guys we have some work to do. And got after it. Probably over simplifying the process but you get the idea.

Same applies to damn near anything...I put on skates that have more technology in them in one model year than all hockey skates had from inception to the late 90's. Gordie Howe sure did fine with his.

I still get a rise out of seeing an elderly gentleman wearing a suit out doing his business in Vancouver. And by doing his business I mean some basic shopping and maybe a coffee with a fellow elder gentlemen.

There is something to be said for the clothing, styles, and habits of yesteryear.

So the point made above is not only valid but something to not lose site of.

Gear of the past was bad nor has lost its purpose. As mentioned above, it still has its place and can do what the new stuff can and possibly better.

The only reason I say "possibly" is I have never worn the items Dewey mentions.

While he has been kind enough to offer to let me handle some of his rifles, I suspect he isn't in a rush to let me wear his pants for a day. I promise to wear clean underpants in case he is interested.