PDA

View Full Version : Building your own natural blind.

nolimits
07-18-2016, 10:48 PM
I have started recently another thread regarding "Pop up blinds versus natural blinds" and as this still is still running I am getting more and more curious on the ideas of building the proper natural blind? Tips? Ideas? Pointers? Pictures of something from your past??? What does it take to make it right? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

brian
07-19-2016, 10:15 AM
From a minimal stand point all you need is something that breaks your silhouette. A small screening of sticks or branches will do this. Deer detail vision really sucks but they will zero in on movement. That means less "blind" you have the more still you have to sit. For natural blinds I look for a few criteria. First a natural feature that will do most of the work for me. Stumps, mounds, trees, uprooted trees, dead fall, rocks, under brush etc etc etc all will work. It has to be comfortable enough for me to sit as still as possible for a few hours. I have to be able to get into a good stable shooting position and have clear shooting lanes on likely places game will come through. I Clear all debris that will make noise if I have to shift positions and cut any branches that will get in my way or broadcast my position. That's all there is to it. No blind will be perfect and there are always compromises to be made. To do this you gotta sit still, absolutely meditative Buddha type still! You can build more elaborate blinds that conceals your movement or keeps the wind/rain off of you. But keeping it small and light makes it easier to abandon if the wind turns against you.

nolimits
07-20-2016, 11:58 AM
Great info, thanks for that.

I also have this question. Suppose I would chose to stay inside timber line, but that particular stretch is maybe 20-25 yards deep and not really thick, so I would be clearly visible if moving. In order to break or cover my silhouette would I build something in front of me, or right behind?

lank1234
07-20-2016, 01:10 PM
You want to break up your outline so having something behind you (say a tree) would be easiest. If you plan to build a simple blind having some cut foliage (tree limbs, sticks, tall grass, etc.) will both help to break up your outline, but also to conceal any slight movements you may have since its between the game and you. If you plan to hunt this area often id invest the couple hours of work to make a blind since itll be more comfortable and do a better job than just sitting against a tree. There are lots of how to and images on google, thats how ive learned. I make a rough perimeter with deadfall stacked on top of eachother, then when hunting season rolls around you can cut some green boughs and place them around the blind to help to hide any movement. Then i just have a tiny collapsible seat that i bring in with me, use my stacked deadfall as a rest. Be sure to clear the shooting lanes a couple weeks before the season if you can

nolimits
07-20-2016, 08:07 PM
You want to break up your outline so having something behind you (say a tree) would be easiest. If you plan to build a simple blind having some cut foliage (tree limbs, sticks, tall grass, etc.) will both help to break up your outline, but also to conceal any slight movements you may have since its between the game and you. If you plan to hunt this area often id invest the couple hours of work to make a blind since itll be more comfortable and do a better job than just sitting against a tree. There are lots of how to and images on google, thats how ive learned. I make a rough perimeter with deadfall stacked on top of eachother, then when hunting season rolls around you can cut some green boughs and place them around the blind to help to hide any movement. Then i just have a tiny collapsible seat that i bring in with me, use my stacked deadfall as a rest. Be sure to clear the shooting lanes a couple weeks before the season if you can
I wish there was a 'like" button here. Thank you for great input. I am slowly getting the idea on what/how to deal with my situation.

brian
07-20-2016, 09:50 PM
In order to break or cover my silhouette would I build something in front of me, or right behind? Either or would work. Put the screening in front of you and it would conceal your movement a bit better but could get in the way of a shot. You would need to be more still if you put the screening behind you but you'd potentially have a clearer shooting lane. Either way works though.

Your bigger concern will be how the blind will work with the wind? if you know the area well then you will get a sense for what kind of conditions will make it worth while sitting in this spot and what won't work at all.