PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions on Black Bears

Harvest the Land
07-18-2016, 01:49 PM
1) How common is it for larger Black Bear boars to kill small black bear cubs? Out scouting this weekend I came across a black bear cub carcass and there wasn't much left except for a couple of very small paws (smaller than my hand), bones, hair etc. I haven't come across a cub carcass before and was just wondering how common it is for male black bears to kill cubs? I know grizzlies will target black bear cubs.

2) How big can black bear poop get? Probably about 1/2 a km away from where I found the cub carcass, I came across the largest bear scat I've ever seen. It was almost the size of horse poop! How common is it for black bear crap to be this large? (Tried uploading a photo from my computer but it kept saying file was too large even after I shrunk it to smallest possible size)

Thanks in advance

Gateholio
07-18-2016, 02:38 PM
1. Not uncommon, I've seen it happen right in front of me

2. Big bears make big poop

Steeleco
07-18-2016, 03:50 PM
I've found claws in bear scat a few times, they kill the young to get tail!

Harvest the Land
07-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Got it - thanks guys

Surrey Boy
07-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Bears make huge piles.

takla1
07-19-2016, 06:14 PM
The wider the log the bigger the butthole= large bear,i look at the width of the log for size indication rather that pile size

takla

gmachine19
07-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Only insane people/doctors would examine poop so closely...oh and hunters hahaha!

Dash
07-19-2016, 06:53 PM
I always get made fun of for analyzing poop in the woods so intently.. :-| lol. I feel like showing those people this forum and being like "See! I'm not the only one!" Thanks for the info though guys. Interesting as always :)

Rotorwash
07-19-2016, 08:04 PM
One time I saw crap that was about the diameter of a Coke can. Was all red and mostly rose hip seeds. I have a picture of it somewhere. There was fresh piles outside the camper every day we were there but we never did see it.

limit time
07-20-2016, 10:05 AM
One time I saw crap that was about the diameter of a Coke can. Was all red and mostly rose hip seeds. I have a picture of it somewhere. There was fresh piles outside the camper every day we were there but we never did see it.
i know what you mean !! I was hunting around Quesnel lake 15-C and came across a pile full of hair so F-ING BIG I swear it was the whole rabbit !! We did see an ice silver tip in a cut not far from camp. (Yes I know not a black bear story)
as said, a male will kill the Cubs if they are not his. The bigger diameter the turd, the bigger the bear !

Fella
07-20-2016, 10:16 AM
The wider the log the bigger the butthole= large bear,i look at the width of the log for size indication rather that pile size

takla
Hard to tell when it's just diarrhea from salal berries!

07-20-2016, 10:18 AM
I have seen it the diameter of a Lucky can...... might have used one as a reference...

Xenomorph
07-20-2016, 03:24 PM
A couple years ago on my most intense bear hunt yet, I took the biggest dump ever on the side of this stump, then we headed into the thick of this bush to look for the massive blackie. We searched a large enough radius to convince ourselves he's either just grazed a little or it had been a clean miss. We found his lair, plenty of dead and smelly things around, but not the bear.

We climbed back on the ridge and over, got to where we had dumped all of our gear and then stepped away to relieve myself. Cold beer on a hot day, adrenaline running and what do I see. SOB had taken a dump next to mine and I must say it was pretty impressive. He'd circled around, sniffed our packs, left me a "I'm OK asshole" message and then ****ed off minding his own business.

We still haven't gotten him, but I remember the smell, the woofs, the moments spent with him feet away in the dark of the raspberry bush, waiting for the charge or a sight of black to get the bullet into.

Quite an experience, my first bear hunt too.

tigrr
07-20-2016, 03:42 PM
A boar will kill cubs to get mom back in heat. Not sure if it eats them as well though.
I wish I had a camera the day I saw the biggest grizzly pile ever. Think garlic sausage 7 feet long. Frozen solid in the middle of the road. Full of moose hair. That pile would have filled a 2 1/2 gallon pail easy.

Salty
07-20-2016, 06:01 PM
Yup its quite common for the biggest boars to be cannibalistic to new borns.

I can't always tell the difference between grizzly and black bear shit but living out here the last long while there's no grizzlies so all of the ursus crap I see is virtually guaranteed black bear scat. I've seen piles quite a bit wider than a beer can a few times. These are the biggest of the biggest bears and you don't see it real often.

HarryToolips
07-20-2016, 06:05 PM

takla
Lol what if the bear is homo-sexual??? :mrgreen::mrgreen:.....
1). I have read that the boars will kill up to 50% of the Cubs in a given area, and as others have said, then breed the female..
2). Yes as others have said, big poo = big bear..

604Stalker
07-20-2016, 06:21 PM
Saw one that put the cow pies to shame in region 8 this spring.. Wish he he was still busy whiping when we rolled through.

Squamch
07-20-2016, 06:49 PM
We saw some huge piles on a trail while scouting a few weeks ago, so we set a trail cam up.
Went back to check the cam a couple weeks later, and on the way in found a FRESH huge diameter poop pile. "Oh hell yeah we're gonna see this bear on cam!" Strange though that the only tracks are a little smaller than my hand...we had a bear on cam. 3 hours before. It's not much bigger than my 85lb dog.
I dunno if there's a monster just using the road for shitting, or if that little bear just got outta prison, but it sure seems to give lie to the "big poops=big bears" idea!

wideopenthrottle
07-21-2016, 03:06 AM
A couple years ago on my most intense bear hunt yet, I took the biggest dump ever on the side of this stump, then we headed into the thick of this bush to look for the massive blackie. We searched a large enough radius to convince ourselves he's either just grazed a little or it had been a clean miss. We found his lair, plenty of dead and smelly things around, but not the bear.

We climbed back on the ridge and over, got to where we had dumped all of our gear and then stepped away to relieve myself. Cold beer on a hot day, adrenaline running and what do I see. SOB had taken a dump next to mine and I must say it was pretty impressive. He'd circled around, sniffed our packs, left me a "I'm OK asshole" message and then ****ed off minding his own business.

We still haven't gotten him, but I remember the smell, the woofs, the moments spent with him feet away in the dark of the raspberry bush, waiting for the charge or a sight of black to get the bullet into.

Quite an experience, my first bear hunt too.

please bury your shits ...heheheheheh