PDA

View Full Version : Backpack hunting gear on a budget

Rotorwash
07-17-2016, 05:14 PM
So I don't have a ton of money to spend before this fall but I've been interested in doing more backpack style hunting this year. Does anyone have any suggestions on tents , sleeping bags and cook stoves that won't cost a ton but will do well enough and are still lightwieght.
Thanks

allan
07-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Depends a lot on location and season.
for three season use I use
jet boil sol
all season neo air therma rest ( cheap would be a blue foamy)
look for used tents , I bought a big Agnes for 1/2 price on this site
i use a montbell super down spiral bag, Bought on sale.
Don't cheap out on boots but you don't need expensive outdoor gear. HH makes decent rain gear, layer with wool and your good to go
also hunting specific backpacks are "nice" but any backpack that FITS YOU, will work just get creative with a bit of rope, twine or para cord to lash stuff to it if you need on the pack out.
Two of the most successful hunters I know don't have any hunting specific ( read fancy) gear and they get it done. One looks almost homeless when he's dressed to go hunting. Yet he always connects.
Shoot straight and wear good boots. The rest is all bonus.
Just my 2 c

BgBlkDg
07-17-2016, 05:41 PM
You can and should try to buy good, USED gear and there is TONS out there as many guys seem to change packs, tents, bags, etc, as often as they do their gonch. I think that this is partially due to the "in" feeling caused by certain internet forums concerned with self-propelled hunting and the VERY clever marketing they accomplish.

"IE", geez, if I don't have the latest KifRanExSGSO pack, and stretch-WPB-athletic fit camo duds, I am not ONE OF THE GANG........sad, really, most of this stuff is VERY costly and does nothing in the bush that less costly, traditional gear did/does not do as well. But, there is one "born every minute"........

Tents-the BEST are Hilleberg, VERY costly and worth every penny. Sometimes, one can find used and even at a good price, but, you need to jump on it. MSR, Sierra Designs, North Face, Mountain Hardware and others make good tents and can be found discounted and used IF you search the net and get to know experienced people here.

Bags-ORIGINAL, Calgary-made Integral Designs, down fill, either shell fabric, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Valandre, the best I have seen and can be found used as above. Sierra Designs, Marmot, Montbell and some others are good bags, look for about 3 lbs total weight and rated to about 10*F, perhaps 0.

DO NOT, buy an "expedition bag" for alpine siege climbing rated below Zero F, too heavy, too hot and you will regret that purchase. Good down, properly handled is still the best insulator, overall.

Get a basic pack, a Cabela's Alaskan Guide, for example and BE CAUTIOUS about buying a specialized IF pack UNTIL you have some miles under your feet. Those, who sell packs, etc, every few months may SEEM to know things, but, are more often relative novices who want to impress the unwary and credulous.

DO get a Siltarp and a bivy for emerg. uses and cooking under when tent camping, watch your WEIGHT and practice putting your gear together and testing it on local hikes.

BgBlkDg
07-17-2016, 05:47 PM
I happen to prefer canister stoves under Snowpeak Ti pots and have a Primus whatever, a Snowpeak Litemax, for day use to make a cuppa. I am getting a Soto "Regulator" for cold weather and have an ancient MSR GK and an Optimus Nova MF, for base camp and heavy cold weather use.

I would buy the Soto, if I were you and Ti pots, worth it in the long run, IMHO.

I agree with Allan, get your pack to FIT and boots are crucial, I detest Gore-Tex boots and like leather lined treated with Obenaufs.

swampthing
07-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Take what ya got. When I was younger and broke I had some gear I wouldn't think of using now. It worked and I was in great shape so I could could carry cheap [heavy] gear and still climb the mountain.

BromBones
07-17-2016, 07:08 PM
A basic down - barrel or mummy style - is good (you can probably pick one up at Canadian Tire for $100) but do get a good waterproof compression bag for it like the Sea to Summit bag. Dry sleeping bag is a must. Grab a fleece liner if you need a little extra warmth. Use a cheap roll up foamy for a sleeping pad, they insulate well and are light.

The Primus trail stove and Primus or GSI kettle will be a good lightweight cooking kit for less than $60. I prefer kettles over pots.

Research two-man, three season tents as there are many that will fit your needs for about $300. Dont get a solo tent, most two-man tents are more like one-man + gear tents. Average tents in that range will be 6 lbs or so. Get a fitted ground sheet or 'footprint' for it, they are cheap. Combine that with a small sil-tarp and you'll have a good camp with an outside cooking/storage area.

As mentioned, don't get suckered into the latest and greatest camo super duper brand name gear - most of it is overpriced low to mid quality gear. Layering with merino wool, stanfield wool shirts, and fleece jackets keeps you pretty comfy. Some green Helly Hanson impertech rain gear over top and you'll be fine.

NorBC
07-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Like said you should try and put your money where it counts, especially on a tent. I'll always take the hilberg or the kuiu 2.0 tent, but I've been alright in the worst country and weather our province can throw at us in a msr ilexer tent. ( don't know how it's spelt ) I've used lots of different tents, and that one beats the hubba, and all the other lower end tents.

two-feet
07-17-2016, 08:53 PM
I have always resisted the temptation to buy super expensive, techy gear. Mostly because i am too broke. I hunt in wool. I use shell style rain gear for wet/windy days. Good full leather boots! If i had $1000 to spend on gear, i would spend $400 on used, decent equipment and the other $600 to actually get out on a good hunting trip.

shaydog65
07-18-2016, 07:19 AM
I've been researching Backpack Hunting Gear on a budget recently. I've found a couple items worth mentioning:

This Sawyer water filtration system for less then $30 dollars. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FA2RLX2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Small, light, versatile, lasts 100000gallons, 0.01 micron (most are 0.02). Most water filter systems are over $100.

The exped downmat lite 5 for $139. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-644/Downmat-Lite-5-Pump-Sleeping-Pad
R4.1, 600gr. (compared to Thermarest NeoAir at R4.9 510gr $165)

For a tent, I would look at the MEC Spark UL 1 for $289. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5036-963/Spark-UL-1%2B-Tent
2.5lb, vented, vestibule and a great mec warranty.

I think the real trick to weight saving is not to over pack your clothing. You should spend some time developing a layering system that works well for the kind of conditions you are expecting.

Cody1771
07-18-2016, 07:26 AM
I run a MEC Tarn2 tent, it's technically a 2 person tent but i think we all know it's really only 1 person. or the other person better be a real good friend because it gets really tight. i think MEC replaced the Tarn with the Spark? if that's to pricey check out some surplus stores. i slept under an army tarp for years.

a good sleeping bag is key. it sucks to be cold at night. i have 3 or 4 depending on the temperature variants i expect to see.

A good back pack, make sure you take some time to find something that can fit you well. Goto MEC, again they almost always have something on sale.

If you don't want to buy a filtration system, I use a product called Pristine, been using it for about 20 years and it's always done a fantastic job. and the bottles are tiny.

The Exped downmat is the cats ass.

get the best boots you can afford, a topic that has been beat to death but bad boots will end you're hunt/hike faster than anything. wear them for a week minimum leading up to the hunt to ensure you don't get blisters.

BRING SECOND SKIN for blisters. if you feel a hot spot, STOP, put some over it (or even duct tape works great).

Lastly there are probably dozens of outdoor buy and sells for every city in the province on Facebook, join as many as you wish and start positing wanted adds or thumbing through the for sale adds. people buy new gear all the time and don't use it.

ursusbait
07-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Where do you live? Where do you plan to hunt? Just general area don't give up your honey holes. These details may help for more specific advice.

Rotorwash
07-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys, I'm researching all of your suggestions to see what I should get this year and what I can do cheap to get me going. I hate buying junk only to replace it later. I'd rather buy quality gear but Im going to have to do it piece at a time. I have a pretty good pack but my tent bag and pad while comfortable are about 20lbs combined and my boots are junk for any kind of steep terrain. That primus trail stove and GSI cookware looks like the way Ill go for cooking.
I usually hunt 5-15 north of mahood lake, but would love to do a goat hunt if I ever draw one. Thanks again guys I appreciate the help!