PDA

View Full Version : Bipod on hunting rifles?

ajr5406
07-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Do many of you guys use bipods on your hunting rifles? I'm not thinking so much about long range, but mainly normal 100-200m usual hunting situations?

Squamch
07-16-2016, 08:42 AM
My buddy had one on his 7mm he used up north. It was heavy, noisy, and snagged on stuff in the bush. That's South Island though, he never had issues with it when he was living up north.

gmachine19
07-16-2016, 09:00 AM
I have one one my tikka but I removed it. Its just added weight and you really wont be able to use it much as the perfect shooting position rarely presents itself when the animal is close.

Corb89
07-16-2016, 09:02 AM
I like them for predator calling, not for general hunting though, ive also found my zero changes slightly with a bipod as compared to sandbags.

BCbillies
07-16-2016, 09:34 AM
As I stated in the sheep thread a while back. After 4 years I just found my misplaced bipod last week so now my son has one.

I use the smallest Harris bipod on all sheep and goat hunts for numerous reasons. If I've got the rifle slung over my shoulder I often have the legs out and rest them on my shoulder. It feels pretty comfy. When resting, glassing, doing a belly crawl stalk, around camp, etc I prefer to open up the legs rather than having the rifle lay on the ground and on abrasive rock. The bipod has been a great help in allowing to keep the rifle stable and get a shot off quick. On my last Stones hunt I did a final stalk on a steep scree slope with a just under 40" ram 200 yards directly above me in the cliffs. With no pack or large rocks anywhere near I extended the bipod to the max 9" length and got into position . . . in looking through the scope it was perfectly on the target and I managed to get one shot off quickly before the ram disappeared. IMO I owe that ram to the bipod. Funny thing is I misplaced my bipod when I moved 3 years ago and when I went to pick up my buddy in Terrace for the sheep hunt I dropped into another friends place to borrow his bipod for the trip. Just didn't feel right about not having one on my rifle and this trip proved why you go with your gut. Have no issue packing the extra pound or spending another $140 to replace the one that is hiding somewhere in the house!

russm
07-16-2016, 09:37 AM
I keep a short one on my 17 hmr for grouse, i just like like to be able to stretch out my shots on them and be able to make it a bit harder to shoot them.

frodo
07-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Would not hunt without mine.

RackStar
07-16-2016, 09:57 AM
never catch me with one...

spatsizi moose
07-16-2016, 10:33 AM
I've got one on my 270, have only used it a few times while hunting. Definitely needed it when I used it. Would have been a 200 yard standing shot without it.

northof49
07-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Yes they work great where no rest or no time to get to one, quick to take off for hunting the bush and work great at the range as well. mid size Harris works for me

rocksteady
07-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Have one on every rifle... From gopher to goat... Excellent tool once you get used to it

Whonnock Boy
07-16-2016, 03:30 PM
My go to's are equipped with bipods. I agree, once you are used to them, they are a great addition.

Have one on every rifle... From gopher to goat... Excellent tool once you get used to it

warnniklz
07-16-2016, 03:37 PM
If I need a rest I usually have time to lay the pack down, grab a tree or set up my hiking polls. Not a fan of added forend weight for freehand shots. Personally I don't think the benifits outweigh the added weight.

No on range toys... different story

.264winmag
07-16-2016, 03:42 PM
I consider it a vital component for hunting where long shots might arise. A pack doesn't compare in my experience. I also use whatever available for a rear rest, binos, rock, ammo box, etc. Let the rifle do the work is my theory...

ajr5406
07-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys...

Never used one, but are they solid enough for sighting in at the range?

Frango
07-16-2016, 03:47 PM
never catch me with one...
why because you have arm muscles that can hold a piano up for an hour or you always hit the center target at two hundred meters free hand? Or perhaps just an attitude. Please enlighten.

Carrollizer
07-16-2016, 04:24 PM
What about a bipod that your sling attaches to? Or do you guys mount a secondary eyelet?

BCbillies
07-16-2016, 04:34 PM
What about a bipod that your sling attaches to? Or do you guys mount a secondary eyelet?

The sling attaches onto the Harris bipod. Likely the same on all other makes too.

Boner
07-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys...

I guess so. You kinda want real world situations when you are just punching paper for hunting practice. If you want a bipod, then shooting at the range with one is a good idea. Getting used to it and all.

I wouldn't use it for figuring out a best powder weight for hand loads though.

hoochie
07-16-2016, 06:16 PM
bi-pod.. its always on my rifle

lucky1
07-16-2016, 06:39 PM
I don't see why you need one when you have sitting or kneeling positions:
https://www.marstar.ca/images/RefLibrary/Safety%20&%20Instruction%20Manuals/M14S/Fig-21.jpg

.264winmag
07-16-2016, 08:28 PM
I don't see why you need one when you have sitting or kneeling positions:
https://www.marstar.ca/images/RefLibrary/Safety%20&%20Instruction%20Manuals/M14S/Fig-21.jpg
Apparently you're one of those marksman where human error doesn't apply. Much like a lot of guys who shoot an animal '500 yds' away lol

.264winmag
07-16-2016, 08:30 PM
I guess so. You kinda want real world situations when you are just punching paper for hunting practice. If you want a bipod, then shooting at the range with one is a good idea. Getting used to it and all.

I wouldn't use it for figuring out a best powder weight for hand loads though.
I use on from bbl break in, load development and hunting. Why would I care what my rifle will do off a bench rest?...

lucky1
07-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Do many of you guys use bipods on your hunting rifles? I'm not thinking so much about long range, but mainly normal 100-200m usual hunting situations?

Apparently you're one of those marksman where human error doesn't apply. Much like a lot of guys who shoot an animal '500 yds' away lol

The original poster said 100-200m. I consider those shooting positions totally acceptable for that distance and doubt that bipods would have a real advantage in that range.

.264winmag
07-16-2016, 08:32 PM
The original post said 100-200m.
Sorry I never read the fine print

.264winmag
07-16-2016, 08:33 PM
The original post said 100-200m.
I love shooting deer in the gear box off a bipod at that range, free hand good luck

.264winmag
07-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Only two guys I know can hold sub moa at 200m without a rest, I'm not one and I shoot a pile...

lucky1
07-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Only two guys I know can hold sub moa at 200m without a rest, I'm not one and I shoot a pile...
If you read my first post I specifically mentioned the sitting and kneeling positions.

tinhorse
07-16-2016, 08:37 PM
They are great at the range, especially with a sand bag to hold the back end up and take out the little wiggles. Was at the range today and had 1.5" or less groups with all 3 rifles, all with bipods at 200 yards. Very handy to have and really don't add a lot of weight for the value they add. In my opinion they are a must, unless still hunting in heavier timber where shots are 75m or less.
Thanks guys...

.264winmag
07-16-2016, 08:49 PM
If you read my first post I specifically mentioned the sitting and kneeling positions.
love those positions, filled a few freezers with them. don't compare to a bipod though...

ajr5406
07-16-2016, 08:51 PM
OK, so now I want one. Any recommendations? ??

.264winmag
07-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Harris, I prefer the non cant one as its lighter. Adjust legs accordingly for long bombs

emerson
07-16-2016, 08:56 PM
I rarely have a place to rest on horizontally that happens to be under where I need the forend to be. The ground is too low. Extra weight and bulk I don't need. I usually rest or lean a part off my arm or hand on a so loud object. Slagging those who don't use a bipod seems more elitist than most "hunting opinions".

.264winmag
07-16-2016, 09:04 PM
I rarely have a place to rest on horizontally that happens to be under where I need the forend to be. The ground is too low. Extra weight and bulk I don't need. I usually rest or lean a part off my arm or hand on a so loud object. Slagging those who don't use a bipod seems more elitist than most "hunting opinions".
saying an improvised rest is better is not 'elitist'?

ajr5406
07-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Harris, I prefer the non cant one as its lighter. Adjust legs accordingly for long bombs

Thanks. Will look into these

Pinewood
07-16-2016, 09:17 PM
I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Tactical-Rubber-Center-Height/dp/B0035L35A8/ref=sr_1_2?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1468729010&sr=1-2&keywords=bipod . I like it.

Boner
07-16-2016, 10:14 PM
I use on from bbl break in, load development and hunting. Why would I care what my rifle will do off a bench rest?...

I wasn't addressing you. Not sure why you're replying to my post from left field.

Frango
07-16-2016, 10:42 PM
It is not a question of slagging. It is a tool. Tools make everything easier. Extra weight? Yes but not enough to think about. I have shot animals without and animals with. Having one on my firearm is well worth the extra weight. Shooting an animal free hand is in some circumstance the only way it is going to happen. Having that extra tool may prove valuable. Never let pride or tradition make you a lesser hunter.

Rackmastr
07-17-2016, 05:59 AM
I've used em in the past and don't care for them any more. On a dedicated prairie rifle or predator gun I might use one but for my purposes prefer shooting off my pack or in field positions.

They do work well, just had a few times I really wish I didn't have mine on so about 6 years ago I stopped using them

gmachine19
07-17-2016, 08:36 AM

Harris all the way

Surreyslam
07-17-2016, 08:37 AM
https://snipepod.com/V2SnipePod.html

Not cheap. But light and quick to deploy. Good for side hills as you can have one leg long and one short etc.

Barracuda
07-17-2016, 09:25 AM
used to be harris was the only kid on the block but I notice a number of less expensive ones from Caldwell and others . anyone have any experience with them?

northof49
07-17-2016, 10:04 AM

Harris HBRS 6-9" legs with swivel base works nice. Prefer smooth legs over model with notches....IMO easier to fine tune leg height on uneven ground.

jamesvtr
07-17-2016, 10:21 AM
i use this instead love it i bought it for predator hunting but im so used to it now ill be using it for everything
https://www.amazon.com/Bog-Pod-Sportsmans-Shooting-Sticks-All-Terrain/dp/B01F3J3PMC

wos
07-17-2016, 10:31 AM
I use a stony point bypod. It's very lite and quick to snap on but it has its drawbacks as well. It works great for me in the places I hunt.

russm
07-17-2016, 11:43 AM
used to be harris was the only kid on the block but I notice a number of less expensive ones from Caldwell and others . anyone have any experience with them?

I have 2 caldwells, i havent had any problems with them other than being kind of a nuisance when in trees and such.

Sportster
07-17-2016, 01:46 PM
One of the best shooting accessories I've bought is a primos shooting stick. Not only are they great for standing nealing and sitting there great for walking and when you're stationery weather sitting standing or nealing you just rest your gun on it and it definitely reduces fatigue from holding your firearm. Did I mention that there excellent for stabizeing your shot to.

longwalk
07-17-2016, 02:27 PM
I have never used a bipod, but for most hunting purposes a bipod seems a bit counter intuitive. If I have to shoot free hand its because there are obstructions between me and the target and then I would need a bipod with 5' legs. Most of the time I can just drop my pack and shoot off it.

emerson
07-17-2016, 07:29 PM
saying an improvised rest is better is not 'elitist'?
It's better for me in the situations I hunt in. Not better for every hunting situation. Like a custom rifle, won't help my needs.

chris
07-17-2016, 07:35 PM
well I have never owned one. I'm sure at the range it would be cool to eliminate a sand bag but otherwise I'm not sure of the value. I have yet to lose an animal and shoot multiple critters each year. No I'm not a sharp shooter but a little practice goes a long way. When at the range sight in off the bench then stand up to practice. Pretty easy

russm
07-17-2016, 08:31 PM
well I have never owned one. I'm sure at the range it would be cool to eliminate a sand bag but otherwise I'm not sure of the value. I have yet to lose an animal and shoot multiple critters each year. No I'm not a sharp shooter but a little practice goes a long way. When at the range sight in off the bench then stand up to practice. Pretty easy

A bipod on the front and a bag under the stock gives you a pretty solid rest.

ajr5406
07-25-2016, 04:21 PM
If anyone has a Bipod your looking to sell, send me a PM!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-25-2016, 05:04 PM
I've used them and killed with them. I've also wished I didn't have one when I had one and also wished the opposite.

I packed one for the first couple of years of mountain hunting but gave it up due to weight.
I'm not really a good shooter but manage to get things done. Could I have shot better with one? Most certainly

Make sure you get one that pivots.

BChunter1982
07-25-2016, 05:21 PM
I have the Caldwell with the cantilever I think its a 9-12" adjustable legs. Love it! Yeah it adds very little weight and its worth the trade off IMO

curt
07-25-2016, 05:38 PM
i have a harris on my xbolt used it lots its awesome and lite

Singleshotneeded
07-25-2016, 06:26 PM

There's a Brit one I've bought from an outfit in Calgary, the Javelin Super-lite...you can keep it in your coat and if you have a long shot you take it out and it attaches to your fore-end with a powerful rare earth magnet...weighs just a few ounces.

44magman
08-02-2016, 02:32 AM
I never take mine off my rifle. Most shots I see are fairly far out. Mine goes long enough to shoot from a sitting or kneeling position and short enough to shoot prone depending on the situation.