PDA

View Full Version : Finding Someone Else's Blind

lank1234
07-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Hey all,

I have been scouting a nice area to try and bag my first whitetail this September. Today I went to put up a trail camera and explore the area.
After doing some hiking around the clearing I wanted to hunt I found an existing blind. It was pretty crude and just some cut branches and deadfall. I also found a lawn chair under a tree nearby, it looks to be in good shape. This leads me to believe that someone may be using the blind but its hard to say as painted metal and sheltered canvas wouldn't deteriorate very quickly. If you were in my position would you setup a camera and invest time in the location or would you leave the area to whoever has that blind? I know it's technically public land but I wasn't sure as to what the socially acceptable thing to do is.

Thanks!

sobirch
07-15-2016, 09:20 PM
You are probably on cam and didn't know it. Check back at the start of the season and if you see any activity maybe back off a bit but you could still hunt the area in my opinion. Just make sure to give a brother some room.

adriaticum
07-15-2016, 09:24 PM
Leave it better than you found it and you will be good in my books

LuckyIfYouGetOne
07-15-2016, 09:24 PM
I have had trail cameras ripped off in the past so now I only put in areas where I think no one will find them. Since you know someone is hunting in the area I would not risk losing my camera. Better to find a different spot to set up camera.

lank1234
07-15-2016, 09:33 PM
So so far the consensus is that I should still be able to hunt the area, just stay out of his blind? Or am i misinterpreting that?

lank1234
07-15-2016, 09:35 PM
I have had trail cameras ripped off in the past so now I only put in areas where I think no one will find them. Since you know someone is hunting in the area I would not risk losing my camera. Better to find a different spot to set up camera.

Thank you, I never thought of that

Corb89
07-15-2016, 09:58 PM
once, buddy and i were walking down a deactivated road that led to a cut block that had good moose sign, bout' halfway we could here a quad coming up behind us. the two guys asked what we were doing( as if it wasn't obvious), and proceeded to tell us that this was "their" area and to f#ck off, also told us "it would be ashame if something happened to you boys out here" and then they drove on. we were 19 year old boys,scared boys.
since then ive not let someone else influence how or where i hunt. it's public land you have the right to be there, just be respectful, thats all.

lank1234
07-15-2016, 10:14 PM
once, buddy and i were walking down a deactivated road that led to a cut block that had good moose sign, bout' halfway we could here a quad coming up behind us. the two guys asked what we were doing( as if it wasn't obvious), and proceeded to tell us that this was "their" area and to f#ck off, also told us "it would be ashame if something happened to you boys out here" and then they drove on. we were 19 year old boys,scared boys.
since then ive not let someone else influence how or where i hunt. it's public land you have the right to be there, just be respectful, thats all.

I'm 20 and that would have scared the shit out of me too, but I would agree that its all public land, no one can tell you where or where not to hunt

Boner
07-15-2016, 10:37 PM
Similar thing happened to me at work in 7B. I had two trail cams set up at a salt lick/spring on our job site. I pulled my cams on August 14, I just had a feeling there was going to be traffic there for the start of the moose hunt. Sure enough, I met guys on my way out. They had quads and some gear including a ladder and a tree stand. They got all suspicious, I was coming out of their honey hole. To me it's just the bush, they must have thought otherwise since they were probably the ones who salted that spring. I was even wearing my work gear-hi vis, saw pants and hard hat, and they still acted like pricks.

Fred1
07-15-2016, 11:47 PM

Grow op...

srupp
07-16-2016, 12:01 AM
Hmm we mostly have mule deer here..but found a couple blinds on crown land over the years. .definatly not in high moose traffic areas..one was plywood, with lexan slide windows..spray painted camo for snow.
Only have 1 trail cam..thanks Nick..couple years ago went to check out what was on tge card..2 guys standing both thumbs up..big smiles..obviously spotted the camera..left some smiles and the camera.
Steven

Wentrot
07-16-2016, 05:18 AM
I personally would find an area without the human sign.

hunter1947
07-16-2016, 05:19 AM
Leave all be find a place to put your trail cam within this area you have been scouting out build your own blind within this area for yourself..

howa1500
07-16-2016, 10:02 AM
Public land, public use, just dont wreck buddies blind, and if you can make it better, clean it up, brush it in. All the better.

Obviously some people are pricks. But i guarantee that if you are a prick to me... Claiming a blind as "yours and its your land"... Well lets say the karma tornado is a son of a b!tch. Cant be at "your land" 365 days a year....

Bugle M In
07-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Lets put it this way.
"Should I start putting up Blinds in My honey Holes", as to make a claim on my spot as "Mine"
If that's the case, I better get out there and build 7 or 8 Blinds right away!...or I might lose my spot.....permanently.

If you look at it this way, I think you can see that "No One" can lay claim to an area as "Their Own" just because they put a blind
up.

The Blind is just something that they decided to put up (Erect), to give them an "Advantage in Stealth", when "Hunting Game"...
Not making a "Land Claim" or buying "Private Property"...

So, if they got a problem....in my books...they can S**K IT.

Having said that, if there is lots of equal hunting area near by, and I may know that this blind was there before I ever hunted that
area, than ya, I might give them a wide berth to hunt in their "blind" out of respect....
But that's the deal, they have to respect that I am there too, and want to hunt the area as well.
I give people the benefit of the doubt that they want to "Share" the area...
If they get Bitchy.....Watch Out....you may think you have chased me off.

brian
07-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Well you know two things, somebody put a blind there anticipating being able to kill something, and somebody put a blind there and you have no idea if they know how to hunt the area well. Personally I wouldn't hunt in someone else blind or tree stand, but the presence of the blind would not stop me from hunting an area.

Big Lew
07-16-2016, 09:36 PM
Well you know two things, somebody put a blind there anticipating being able to kill something, and somebody put a blind there and you have no idea if they know how to hunt the area well. Personally I wouldn't hunt in someone else blind or tree stand, but the presence of the blind would not stop me from hunting an area.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.
I've come upon many blinds while hunting, both for big game, and for waterfowl.
Some have been there a long time with no signs of recent use, some were fairly new,
some looked like they were hastily slapped up, and some were elaborate wooden platforms
big enough to hold a square dance on. None have had anyone in them when I chanced upon
them, but if they did I would give them space and skirt around their immediate area, but that
doesn't mean that I would necessarily leave the area entirely. I wouldn't pay them any concern
and would hunt as if I hadn't seen them if they were vacant.

tuner
07-16-2016, 10:45 PM
Grow op...
Those were my thoughts too after reading the post.

Treed
07-16-2016, 10:58 PM
I've got a few blinds and stands setup. If ya find them, have at 'em. Walked up last year to a spot that I thought would be a perfect spot to watch an area and someone had built a blind. Hunted it a few times now and cleared some of the shooting lanes a bit. If you are there, it's yours. If I find you in one I built its yours. If I'm in yours...? Much as I'd like to have 'my' areas to myself, they aren't mine. I'll still beat you to the big bucks though. That's what 35 years in one area buys.