PDA

View Full Version : 5-02d Sept 10-30 moose draw

Gone_Fishin_
07-15-2016, 01:23 PM
Somehow the LEH gods were on my side this year...

I managed to pull another bull tag for 5-02D. Was in a group draw last year up there for Oct 15-31 and managed to get a nice young bull off of the 2600 road area before Likely. Was some hard hunting though and had no luck with deer or seeing any other bulls (1 cow) during our 10 days. Day after we departed our other group managed to get a nice young'n as well so 2 moose between the 2 groups was great for us new hunters. Never been up there until then and was just following another member in our group as he had a tag back in 2010 and pulled one out of the area. The area seemed like it kept us stuck in a little spot with lots of growth so looking to venture out further into 5-02d this year.

Reason i'm posting is a few questions about this earlier draw, I put in for the earlier draw as the odds were better with my chances being reduced from drawing a tag last year.

I assume the hunting is going to be dependent on weather and if its hot or cool out. Starting the process of converting a small utility trailer to an enclosed unit that I can run an AC in off a generator. Just enough to cool the meat and keep it in good temps for a day or 2 while camp gets packed up, if im lucky enough to tag one that is. Also if it happens near the end of Sept would like to stay a day or 2 and try for a buck while up there.

Newb when it comes to moose hunting. Last year was a first and to be honest totally lucked out. Buddy chased a grouse into a heavily grown cut, heard a bull grunt. We made a quick plan and snuck in, spotted a cow and sat for 5 watching her. Looked to my side and out comes a bull running stops behind a bush. Bang, flop, up again, bang and down. Not much of a story besides a quick 5 minutes.

Being LEH only area wondering if anyone doesn't mind sharing some information or locations that would help me. Maybe some road names or general areas that hold some moose. Even though it is never time wasted and always a great to be out, id hate to go up and spend 10 days looking for a moose in an area that doesn't even hold them during that time of year.

Do you think I am going to have any luck calling one in? youtubn the heck out of calling videos and have it down pretty good I think. Cow and bull calls. Not sure about sequence or playbook yet and how that works but am really interested in trying to call one in or locate to help increase my odds.

Planning on heading up there for Sept 9-11 for a pre-scout trip (tag is valid following day so bonus if we see one). Will bring along some bear tags too as I hear there is quite the abundance up there in recent years.

Wondering where i should be focusing my efforts on? high up in the hills in timber. Or low in the swamps and by water. look for willows and feed, or search for fresh sign. If its warmer will they be held up in the shade and not interested in cows yet, is the rut starting around this time? again all new to me so lots of questions and looking for a mentor or someone that doesn't mind helping. Would it be worth it to pack a canoe up or maybe my 12' tinny. Or I may have access to a zodiac to drift the river.

I'll be dragging up a complete newb hunter with me as well, might not be too much help in the hunting portion but with will definitely help when it comes down to the hard work. Our plan is head up Sept 24th and pack up Oct 2nd unless of course we get a bull and its too hot so have to head out.

Will update this thread as I learn and after our scouting trip in Sept.

Also... any recommendations on a bullet for moose.
Remington 700 CDL SF 30.06 Vortex Viper 3x9

Thanks for your time and any assistance you can provide, cheers

andrewscag
07-15-2016, 03:00 PM
I drew the same tag. Congrats! I'm heading up to scout August 6th weekend and will probably hunt solo. Srupp very generously shared some good info that I can pass on as well unless he minds. Shoot me a pm with your number if you want and we can chat.

srupp
07-15-2016, 05:25 PM
No problem. .if there is anything I can do to assist..shoot me a PM with phone number..I will call..
Steven

charr
07-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Srupp gave me good info also... Great help.