PDA

View Full Version : 5-13c Bull draw

Rob Chipman
07-14-2016, 06:12 PM
So, I've been skunked on LEH for moose for about 6 years now. Luckily, my wife is two for two. She got the draw last year in 3-31 and this year in 5-12C.

I shot my first moose in this area, but that was about 1981. We hunted from a canoe on the river and had a ball. I got a cow one morning and later saw two cows and a bull - the bull had a huge rack and seeing him run through the trees was a sight I'll never forget. Over the years I've seen lots of moose in that area, and two years back we got a bull a little further north, around Tatuk.

Anyway...Oct 1-15 is the draw. Last year I called a bull in, perhaps starting the evening before (who knows?) and we got him in the morning. I plan on calling in likely spots, and also going up there in the next month to scout, but I'm looking for any comments at all, especially in regard to hunting from the canoe. The Blackwater has a fairly steady current, so if we just float it it's kind of like road hunting.

If a bull walks out, great.

If he's standing in a back eddy, great.

If he's in a moose meadow 30 feet off the river behind a wall of willows? We'll float right by. In my experience calling moose requires that you're not moving too fast.

Thoughts from anyone?

srupp
07-14-2016, 06:51 PM
So, I've been skunked on LEH for moose for about 6 years now. Luckily, my wife is two for two. She got the draw last year in 3-31 and this year in 5-12C.

I shot my first moose in this area, but that was about 1981. We hunted from a canoe on the river and had a ball. I got a cow one morning and later saw two cows and a bull - the bull had a huge rack and seeing him run through the trees was a sight I'll never forget. Over the years I've seen lots of moose in that area, and two years back we got a bull a little further north, around Tatuk.

Anyway...Oct 1-15 is the draw. Last year I called a bull in, perhaps starting the evening before (who knows?) and we got him in the morning. I plan on calling in likely spots, and also going up there in the next month to scout, but I'm looking for any comments at all, especially in regard to hunting from the canoe. The Blackwater has a fairly steady current, so if we just float it it's kind of like road hunting.

If a bull walks out, great.

If he's standing in a back eddy, great.

If he's in a moose meadow 30 feet off the river behind a wall of willows? We'll float right by. In my experience calling moose requires that you're not moving too fast.

Thoughts from anyone?

Hmm 12..or 13? Lol..
Have some ideas..experiences over past 35 years..in Cariboo..simply too much to type..send pm with ph number I will call.
Cheers and congradulations
Steven

allan
07-14-2016, 08:13 PM
I'm confused too! :) I don't see a zone 5-12c on my map?
I have a draw for 5-13c though. Never been there but my hunting partners have. I'm planning on an archery hunt.
Second week of oct all you need to do is drive the road slow ( under 10 k ) and in two days you'll get your moose if your hunting with a rifle.
All my friends hunt moose like that, and their success rate is pretty good. I've had good chances in the zone next door but I prefer getting close, under 30 yards. Road hunting is not the best strategy for that style. Sitting and calling will be a better chance.

Rob Chipman
07-14-2016, 10:16 PM
Doh!

5-13C (Would you believe I was looking at the map as I wrote the original post? What a maroon!)

barry1974w
07-15-2016, 07:14 AM
My wife had a bull draw in that zone a few years back, it was in November though. We hunted for a week and saw two moose, both cows. There was wolf tracks everywhere at that time, we had fresh snow several mornings, and the wolves beat us pretty much everywhere. Good country though, just too much competition at that point, hopefully they've been thinned out a bit.

Good luck

Rob Chipman
07-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Hi Barry:

Two years ago hunting just north, around Tatuk, I cow called and...wolf pack freaked out and came running!

I will report on how it turns out.

two-feet
07-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Where i hunt there is plenty of wolves, they are there because there are plenty of moose! Dont let a few wolf tracks lower your confidence

Rob Chipman
07-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Same experience in 3-31. Lot's of wolf sign, but we got our bull, saw 4 others, and saw 2 cows.

barry1974w
07-15-2016, 08:58 PM
Hi Barry:

Two years ago hunting just north, around Tatuk, I cow called and...wolf pack freaked out and came running!

I will report on how it turns out.

hope you shot a couple wolves!! We didn't see any wolves when we were in 5-13c, but I was hoping.