PDA

View Full Version : Hunt in Taylor with Grandpa

Eva_Hunts
07-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Hi all,
My grandpa and I are planning an elk hunt around Taylor / Pine river in September around the rut. He wants to do a float hunt as it's always been his dream, he's been talking about this type of hunt with me since I was small and it's finally going to happen.

Has anyone hunted around the Pine south of Taylor? I'm wondering if the elk use the river as their primary drinking hole or maybe ponds or pools? From google earth it seems pretty woody and sort of flat there as well. It's gonna be tough for granp's to do a lot of hiking but I thinking glassing from whatever high points we can find is probably the best idea, as well as calling? Any elk habits we should look out for or any other thoughts guys?

Also, should we have white tail or moose tags in our pockets as well?

Much appreciated and thanks,
Eva

squamishhunter
07-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Pine or peace? Pine ends at the bridge in Taylor.

Lots of farm/private land along the river.

Eva_Hunts
07-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Pine between Taylor and Chetwynd

Pine or peace? Pine ends at the bridge in Taylor.

Lots of farm/private land along the river.

moosinaround
07-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Know this area well. Lots of jet boats go up the Pine during the rut, doing the exact same thing you guys are doing. They camp on gravel bars up the river, and hunt and call for elk in the cottonwoods and aspens. There is quite a bit of private land along the river, and getting up to high vantage points is a good hoof up the river escarpment. The elk in the area are pressured hard, and you will be bumping into both river boat hunters, and hunters from the upper escarpment as they hunt down towards the river from the top. Id have all the tags on ya, as there are pretty good moose and whitetail in the area. Remember, mulies are closed till November unless your packing a bow! Good hunting to ya, family hunts are the best! Moosin

dhog
07-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Two years ago we hunted that area saw 4 jet boats in about a two mile section on the river lots of people

Eva_Hunts
09-08-2016, 12:32 AM
Can anyone chime in on the grouse situation on the pine? I desperately want to bring my 22!!

Bear Chaser
09-08-2016, 06:43 AM
Yes you should bring your .22. I don't know about the Pine specifically but there are grouse around and quite a few rabbits this year.

firstshot
09-08-2016, 08:13 AM
I would take a .22, we saw a good amount of grouse last year. We are headed up there tomorrow, can't wait!

BRvalley
09-08-2016, 08:24 AM
another good year for grouse up there, definitely bring the 22...lots of rabbits too

Boner
09-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Your question about water, there's a fair by of water on the top. The area by the tracks has tons of beaver ponds.

Ive saw elk and moose in the area. But lots of hunting pressure as mentioned.

Eva_Hunts
09-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Awesome, thanks guys! See you on the river firstshot!

Eva_Hunts
09-13-2016, 09:44 PM
Sad~ish update on this adventure/hunt; pine river levels were high and wild after the rains this weekend and grandpa tipped the canoe in some rapids / lost his gun but salvaged his life and some of his gear :( ... had to portage our gear off the river now we're back in chetwynd and kinda just road hunting... trying to make the most of it... if anyone has tips for chetwynd area please pm me. Thanks

firstshot
09-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Wow that's brutal. We just got back yesterday with one bull elk. I spend a lot of time on the rivers and I know how things can go sideways real quick, glad nobody was hurt or worse.