PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoe hare lower mainland

Alienation
07-14-2016, 11:12 AM
I don't want anyone to give up their favorite local spot. But August is coming up real quick and I wouldn't mind sharpening my skills and getting a stew together...any and all help is appreciated for some local areas (local being as far as hope even)

604Stalker
07-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Check the regs most of the lml is closed for snowshoe hare anywhere up the coq is pretty much full of em just gotta walk the roads and you will see em dart.

tuner
07-14-2016, 01:50 PM
Try manning park area.

AgSilver
07-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Alienation, I'll go with you - I looooove rabbit and want to start figuring out where they are. I've heard good things about Squamish FSRs for them as well.

kevan
07-14-2016, 02:18 PM
They should be plentiful, this year is the high peak of their population cycle, they're everywhere.
We have anywhere 4 to 6 daily in our yard.
Tiny in comparison to the old Prairie Jack Rabbit but nonetheless good eating.

Carrollizer
07-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Check the regs most of the lml is closed for snowshoe hare anywhere up the coq is pretty much full of em just gotta walk the roads and you will see em dart.
August 1 to April 30th they're open in MU2-5 to 2-19 - which is technically everywhere north of the Fraser...
Hell if I had them in my backyard in North Van, I'd be using my slingshot

Alienation
07-14-2016, 04:19 PM
I've been up coquitlam mountain last year but saw nothing but grouse, bear, cougar and bobcat...too many predators for rabbits I guess. AgSilver, thanks for the tip, and wouldn't mind someone tagging along that knows a bit more about the areas I don't know about. Keep the leads coming.

hoochie
07-14-2016, 05:48 PM
aren't the ones in the LML cotton tails?
we got a huge rabbit with very large back feet up the coq 2 years ago?? much larger than the little white bums running around down here.

Wentrot
07-14-2016, 05:51 PM
aren't the ones in the LML cotton tails?
we got a huge rabbit with very large back feet up the coq 2 years ago?? much larger than the little white bums running around down here.

There are snowshoe hare around here as well as the cottons, Mt woodside has em.

Alienation
07-14-2016, 07:16 PM
And as far as I can tell from the regs Mt Woodside has no shooting restrictions...sounds like a good area, looks like it's been heavily logged, not sure if that's good or bad but well worth a shot. Thanks wentrot.

ruger#1
07-14-2016, 07:19 PM
There are snowshoe hare around here as well as the cottons, Mt woodside has em.Snowshoes are high up. I was hiking up to Mckay lake and seen a few.

Alienation
07-14-2016, 07:53 PM
McKay lake as in east side of stave? I did some deer hunting up that way last year but may not have been up high enough for hare. What is everyone's thoughts on ammunition for hare? I have a cut down single shot for bush defence, would it suffice in short range (20-30 yards)?

hoochie
07-14-2016, 10:42 PM
I used a 12g on the only one I ever got

Carrollizer
07-14-2016, 11:17 PM
If you're accurate .22 or Slingshot, if not birdshot 12gauge shotgun
I usually carry a slingshot while deer hunting if I happen to come across a grouse/hare. Much quieter

ruger#1
07-15-2016, 12:42 AM
McKay lake as in east side of stave? I did some deer hunting up that way last year but may not have been up high enough for hare. What is everyone's thoughts on ammunition for hare? I have a cut down single shot for bush defence, would it suffice in short range (20-30 yards)? that's the place. I used to go back further. And then hike up. Seen a few in the early morning. See them around 800ft and higher.

Alienation
07-15-2016, 06:04 AM
I have a 22 and a slingshot for those reasons exactly, but in August I'm not really concerned about scaring deer away. Keep in mind that my shotgun also has no choke, so would that still be alright? Sorry if it's a dumb question I have just never hunted for small game with it and not sure if choke really matters over such small distance with birdshot.

Wentrot
07-15-2016, 06:14 AM
I have a 22 and a slingshot for those reasons exactly, but in August I'm not really concerned about scaring deer away. Keep in mind that my shotgun also has no choke, so would that still be alright? Sorry if it's a dumb question I have just never hunted for small game with it and not sure if choke really matters over such small distance with birdshot.

Set up some cardboard and see where the pattern is at each range. Than ya know what's what

604Stalker
07-15-2016, 07:00 AM
Your shotty will be fine just use a lighter load or aim for the head. If you use a birdshot sometimes it wont even penetrate a grouse or rabbit the mass trauma from being hit with the pellets impact knocks em down. I only mentioned the regs because of how many people I have met saying their rabbit. Hunting in the wack or abby that had no idea there was no snowshoe season.

Alienation
07-15-2016, 07:01 AM
Ya I've been meaning to do just that, but haven't got around to it yet, thought someone here might have a little experience with that as I have 0 experience when it comes to hunting rabbit. But back to the matter at hand, is where, I have a few leads and thank you guys, but the more the merrier and the bigger the stew so I can share.

Glenny
07-15-2016, 10:20 AM
No snowshoe hare in Lower rainland, just gumboot hare. (Lepus Galoshes)

ruger#1
07-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Ya I've been meaning to do just that, but haven't got around to it yet, thought someone here might have a little experience with that as I have 0 experience when it comes to hunting rabbit. But back to the matter at hand, is where, I have a few leads and thank you guys, but the more the merrier and the bigger the stew so I can share.Keep you eye open for rabbit turds. Once you find them then look for rabbits.

Iron Glove
07-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Keep you eye open for rabbit turds. Once you find them then look for rabbits.

Sure, now you tell me that.
I've been looking for Easter Eggs as a sign of rabbits. :wink:
Little far maybe for the OP but lots of wabbits up the Princeton / Tulameen way.

Alienation
07-15-2016, 05:51 PM
I'm trying to stay in region 2 just because a few rabbits really don't think is worth it for a further drive. My big game hunting I do much further out. Thanks for the info on my shotgun also, good to know it should be fine.

ruger#1
07-15-2016, 06:02 PM
October is a good time in other areas that you hunt. They are starting to turn white and are easy to spot. Snow is also good, Look for their black eye. You can find their runs and wait. I have been in areas with lots of rabbit turds. And have never found a rabbit.

shortrange
07-15-2016, 11:50 PM
Britton Creek Rest Area. Any of the trails behind the rest area and off the logging roads. Best time is around dusk. I got a 410 for this year's bunnies. Closer to Vancouver you could try Roberts Bank but you need a good slingshot. The dog walkers will go nuts if you are toting a gun...

bacon_overlord
07-16-2016, 09:58 PM
For rabbits I use a. 22, started out using a 20ga but it tended to make a mess and gut shoot a lot. I'd recommend a scoped. 22 and headshots. Bunnies is dum and will often sit still while you walk your fire in, believe it or not, but kneel or use some shooting sticks , should be bang on. As well, bring a cooler backpack, and dress them asap to avoid gaminess.
The bunny holes I've found were logging roads with grown up grass on them, and brush cover to the sides. From my experience they like to hang out and munch in the evenings, so walk some likely spurs and look for brown shapes at the side of the road.

Husky7mm
07-16-2016, 10:34 PM
Cottontails taste way better than snowshoes imo

Alienation
07-17-2016, 07:03 AM
Thanks Bacon for the tips. When at a longer distance of course I'll favor the 22, but just walking through the woods I think the shotgun would be beneficial just for the spread and better chance to bag one