PDA

View Full Version : SAT Phone or InReach which would you choose?

44inchStone
07-14-2016, 01:53 AM
I know both of these serve a very good purpose. One is way cheaper, and a bit more portable and the other you can actually talk to someone when you're in a bind. They both have different plans but the SAT phone plans or minutes are stupid expensive. I've used plenty of Iridium SAT phones but never used an InReach before but would like to hear some advice on personal experiences or pros and cons, the dos and dont's
Where is the cheapest place to buy??
Thanks in advance
Good Hunting!!

Salix
07-14-2016, 04:55 AM
I'm interested in this thread as well. Looking at both options, but leaning towards the sat phone purchase. In my research the cheapest location I've found to purchase the inReach is MEC. Was in the Kelowna store last week, they didn't have any in stock but there was a $75 coupon for either of the inReach models that is good until July 30th.

Coachman
07-14-2016, 05:16 AM
My inreach is set up so my wife can send a locate request to the unit and it sends her back a gps dot on the map, showing her where I am. Very convenient when we go offshore fishing to Nootka or up north hunting. It even worked when I was in Nunavut for a month.

I like having no phone, which means not having to talk on it, but having family know where I am. Love my inreach.

BCHunterTV
07-14-2016, 05:55 AM
Inreach... cheaper to buy and use...and shares your location

Bear Chaser
07-14-2016, 06:31 AM
I just purchased an InReach. One of the selling features for me was that like a cell phone a text message gets sent in areas of poor service more easily than a phone call.
The two gentlemen who were attacked by a grizzly last fall while packing a sheep out in 7-42 credit their InReach with saving their lives as the first responders on the scene ended up using it to communicate as their sat phone was not getting through.
They were also told that without the texts they sent with their SOS call that their rescue would not have come till the next day. One or both of them would have passed on the trail before rescue if that had been the case.

Stresd
07-14-2016, 06:37 AM
My Sat phone died on me in middle of a call. Was able to finish pickup time confirmation with alpine aviation with my Inreach SE. Find my Inreach far more functional, durable and fool proof than my Sat phone. If I could only have one it would be the Inreach Se.

sed8ed
07-14-2016, 07:10 AM
I have a Globalstar sat phone and an Inreach. If I had to choose one, Inreach all the way. Unless it is a short trip or you are driving, you won't be leaving your sat phone on with the antenna up all the time so you will be waiting to find satellites before you can call with either phone carrier plus you won't be able to receive calls unless your phone is on and connected.

Inreach is simpler and better suited for hunting trips, plus the battery lasts longer. I use the inreach for 2 way messages and the sat phone for organizing my crew back at the worksite while i'm on the road.

LuckyIfYouGetOne
07-14-2016, 08:23 AM
I know both of these serve a very good purpose. One is way cheaper, and a bit more portable and the other you can actually talk to someone when you're in a bind. They both have different plans but the SAT phone plans or minutes are stupid expensive. I've used plenty of Iridium SAT phones but never used an InReach before but would like to hear some advice on personal experiences or pros and cons, the dos and dont's
Where is the cheapest place to buy??
Thanks in advance
Good Hunting!!

I have the inreach explorer (orange one) and absolutely love it. I do most of my hunts solo and in places that do not have cell phone reception. It's nice knowing that with a push of a button someone can see your exact location both on topographic and satellite maps. There are so many different ways this device can be used that I think outweigh a satellite phone. You can send text both to phone numbers and emails to let people know how everything is going and the message comes with a link that they can click on and see exactly where you are and they can even text or email you back. Like any electronic device there is a learning curve but there are a ton of YouTube videos the company and users of the device have made. The only time I had reception issues is when the device was inside my bag or pocket and I was in heavy timber. I usually strap the device outside my bag so it always has a view of the sky and have had no issues since even if in heavy timber. I opted for the extra 120 dollar insurance that in the event of a emergency they'll send someone to come get you, take you to hospital and stabilize you, then take you to your home of record. They are so many different ways this device can be used that simply outweigh a sat phone. Watch the videos they have online to see all the functions. Good luck

whitetailsheds
07-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Great thread 44.....I was considering starting one myself on InReach.
I WAS a SPOT user, but cannot say I ever had problems with it. It was %100 for me.
After 8+ years, I stopped my subscription when they decided to start charging for the tracking feature......of which, after all those years, never used! And secondly, after all that use, know very well I don't want or have any need for.
It was used regularily to check in with family and friends. They appreciated getting the message.
As far as two-way comm's, an Iridium works.
The consideration of an InReach has been recent....and know nothing of it's use. And hopefully....it's easy....I'm not much of an IT person!!

Backwoods
07-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Inreach, just from the storeys and experience with both, the inreach just needs one signal for a second to send and receive, sat phone needs constant signal to communicate.

07-14-2016, 09:11 AM
We bought a cabin this year which has no cell service. I just bough a Spot Global Phone because they had a 50% off mail in rebate, which made it quite affordable. I tried it out in my yard and it worked well, so hopefully is gets good service at the cabin. If it sucks, I'll get an Inreach.

Buck
07-14-2016, 03:05 PM
I have used an iridium phone and Inreach i prefer the inreach .Phone can be a pain waiting for service and calls gets lost during conversations.In reach is Smaller type a message and carry on wait for the beep message received carry on make dinner ect.

Rob Chipman
07-14-2016, 04:59 PM
I've rented a sat phone and I've bought an InReach. Sat phones are cooler, for sure, but more $$$$. InReach means you screw around more typing in texts, but if you're interested more in hunting than texting and only use it when you really need to communicate it's a good item.

RiverOtter
07-14-2016, 05:57 PM
In-Reach hands down. Aside from the fact they just plain work, they also send out your coordinates with each text/email, so if you fail to check in there's a really good starting point. They require much less signal than a sat phone as well, which adds to the appeal.

Salty
07-14-2016, 06:02 PM
What fees do you pay other than the purchase price of an in-reach?

Wentrot
07-14-2016, 06:02 PM
From my research I think I would go for the inreach. The women has been trying to talk me in to getting some sort of check in device so may take the plunge in the future. Be glad to have it if push ever came to shove.

Wentrot
07-14-2016, 06:06 PM
What fees do you pay other than the purchase price of an in-reach?

Here are the plans

http://www.inreachcanada.com/contract-free-inreach-canada-plans/

dbergen69
07-14-2016, 07:02 PM
Inreach is great. I have never used a sat phone but in an emergency the 1 button sos has to be faster than trying to make a call and the sos has gps coordinates so you don't need to explain where you are at.

Salty
07-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Here are the plans

http://www.inreachcanada.com/contract-free-inreach-canada-plans/

Thanks Matt. I like that you can suspend or reactivate your account or change plans as you like. Just 5 bucks a month while the account is suspended. I've been rockin an old SPOT and it kinda pizzes me that I pay for it all year and only use it half the year if that. Plus its very limited as to what you can do compared to inreach, thinkin this is the way to go.

Wentrot
07-14-2016, 08:17 PM
Thanks Matt. I like that you can suspend or reactivate your account or change plans as you like. Just 5 bucks a month while the account is suspended. I've been rockin an old SPOT and it kinda pizzes me that I pay for it all year and only use it half the year if that. Plus its very limited as to what you can do compared to inreach, thinkin this is the way to go.

That is certainly a huge selling point in my mind. I just need to get over the initial expense for the unit lol

Fred1
07-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Inreach work fine. I use one every day. Used it on last years sheep hunt and it was perfect. Just a bit slow to type and you are sending to an email address. (Might not get instant responses). The benefit to over a sat phone is people who check your inreach know where you are instantly. With a sat phone your going to have to relay coordinates.

Stew
07-14-2016, 09:05 PM
I've had both, I still have the Inreach.

Ry151
07-14-2016, 11:08 PM
I have had all of them, global star and iridium phone, spot and inreach and if I could only have one it would be the inreach hands down. Global star is definitely getting better but still hit and miss.