PDA

View Full Version : Babine Lake

Hydro
07-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Hello, was wondering if some people on the site can give me some advice. I've been hunting the Babine Lake area for 6 years now. We've done ok. 2 bulls in 6 years. I know!!!!!! We are putting in our time, and we don't mind that at all. However having said that I've been wanting to drag my boat up really bad. Is it worth it? Would it be to my advantage? We love the area, and will continue to go back every year. As my daughter is hooked!!!!! 👍 Thanks very much for your time everyone.

Brenden.

RadHimself
07-12-2016, 11:46 PM
lots of natives AND a guiding outfit or 2 on babine...

tigrr
07-13-2016, 07:59 AM
Drag the boat up to "fish with" or to "hunt with"?

Amphibious
07-13-2016, 08:02 AM
Tip 1: Easy on the exclamation marks.

Tip 2: Boats are always worth it for moose. They call them Swamp Donkey for a reason. In that country, with the pressure, I would be looking at google earth for tiny lakes and marshes away from the roads and dragging in a canoe.

decker9
07-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Babine is huge, lots of room. The outfitter hunts the lake, but not a lot. If you have a good boat, I wouldent hesitate.

Hydro
07-13-2016, 10:15 AM
Thank you for the advise everyone. The boat would be used for the "hunt" part of the trip. No doubt a little fishing as well. Boat is more than capable of the task at hand. Thanks again.

Jrax
07-13-2016, 10:49 AM
What decker9 said... lots of room, Babine is huge and I think you would have better access to moose habitat than by road. If they are not on shore they wont be far. I would consider multiple short hikes up a few of the hills straight up off the lake from boat and look for rut pits and fresh rubs and into adjoining wetlands off lake. There is a lot of thick bush in that country and in my experience in that area if you find open mix forest, open aspen forest, swampy or essf habitats away from road access you will find moose. There are also a lot of new cutblocks in last two years so you can always take a drive to change things up.

Darksith
07-13-2016, 04:39 PM
boat definitely worth it. But the canoe idea is also a steller suggestion...find an old used one and leave it hidden ;)

XPEIer
07-13-2016, 08:22 PM
I picked up a smaller bull in that area heading down to the bigger lake for a drink, and we have seen guys put boats on the larger lakes, float around and glass for bulls coming down to drink and be successful.

Go for it.

Xpeier

40incher
07-13-2016, 10:18 PM
Babine is a huge lake and the moose can be found anywhere. The guides hunt it way too hard but you can be two minutes behind them and a bull will walk out in a marsh.

It's a good hunt for a young hunter as you have time to set up once a bull is spotted.