PDA

View Full Version : Hunting pants recommendations?

ajr5406
07-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Need to get some hunting pants, any recommendations on pants that are comfortable for hikes? Don't need camo, and I would plan to use merino long underwear in the colder weather so not really after fleece...

Any suggestions?

RiverOtter
07-12-2016, 04:38 PM
I like my NF Paramount pants and they're convertible.

BiG Boar
07-12-2016, 05:21 PM
I really like my attack pants from Kuiu. Probably 150 days hunting in them now. No real issues.

dodge
07-12-2016, 05:25 PM
X2 on attack pants. Yet to take them hunting but so far I'm impressed with the quality and features

nolimits
07-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Love my Kuiu Guide pants. No issues whatsoever. They also come in non camo patterns.

Rhyno
07-12-2016, 05:28 PM
I really like my attack pants from Kuiu. Probably 150 days hunting in them now. No real issues.

I like my attack pants but have been less than impressed with their customer service. Check out Onca Gear, what I have seen of their product appears well made and durable.

Surrey Boy
07-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Pants are overrated. I've met hikers who turned around before I even got to say hello when I was wearing only boots and a rifle.

Wentrot
07-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Sitka ascent pants. Have a pair that are still going strong 3 or so years now and just got another pair that isn't camo. Super comfortable, when she's cold toss a base layer underneath and you are good to go.

The Hermit
07-12-2016, 05:46 PM
First Lite Knab 2 Merino Pants!

The KUIU attack pants pill up really bad so if you plan to wear them anywhere other than hunting they look like cheap crap.

boxhitch
07-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Any soft shell under $100 with DWR and bobs your aunt

todbartell
07-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Sitka Ascent pants are my go to

mddat
07-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Prana stretch Zion are a great pant in solid colours or the kuiu attack for camo

Iltasyuko
07-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Eddie Bauer Guide Pro are a good pant if you're looking at a lower price option.

smallfry14
07-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Kuhl renegade or Eddie Bauer Guide Pro for early season in a solid colour. Sitka Ascent or Kuiu Attack if you need camo (2x the price).

warnniklz
07-12-2016, 09:37 PM
I'll admit I haven't worn all the pants. But I do know I enjoy my sitka mountain pants. Fresh underwear to keep the swassy swalls at bay and everything is tickity boo.

HarryToolips
07-12-2016, 09:52 PM
Army pants from army surplus, cheaper I'm sure, as well as very rugged and comfortable..

kevan
07-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Pants are overrated. I've met hikers who turned around before I even got to say hello when I was wearing only boots and a rifle.

Only because they saw the gold ring in your left testicle..

cloverphil
07-12-2016, 09:54 PM
wool pants, can be very quiet and dry quickly too if they get wet

kevan
07-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Carhartt work pants..... can't beat 'em..

Wentrot
07-13-2016, 05:32 AM
Carhartt work pants..... can't beat 'em..

I must have lady skin, hiking all day in those killed my legs. Equivalent to hiking in sweaty jeans IMO.

GetLethal
07-13-2016, 05:40 AM
I have camo attack pants that are awesome. I also have a pair of sherpa pants, they are lighter but very comfortable, they stretch and their DWR is pretty good.

kevan
07-13-2016, 05:44 AM
I must have lady skin, hiking all day in those killed my legs. Equivalent to hiking in sweaty jeans IMO.

They are harsh until after a few washings, I buy the softer grade in green and they are ok.
They have a multitude of pockets which I like.

fuzzy
07-13-2016, 06:08 AM
I wear Carhartt pants and various other durable work pants on a daily basis. If I am wearing pants for hiking I am sure not wearing any of them. I wear the Eddie Bauer guide pants, wool or a soft shell pant depending on weather. Horses for courses.

fuzzy

kevan
07-13-2016, 06:37 AM
I wear Carhartt pants and various other durable work pants on a daily basis. If I am wearing pants for hiking I am sure not wearing any of them. I wear the Eddie Bauer guide pants, wool or a soft shell pant depending on weather. Horses for courses.

fuzzy

Where can you buy the Eddie Bauer product ?

Wentrot
07-13-2016, 06:48 AM
You can order direct from their website but it's in US funds. I am not sure if you live near one of the Canadian stores, they may have them?

BgBlkDg
07-13-2016, 06:52 AM
Light, cheap, very good, Cabela's Microtex. For colder weather, I prefer Filson's Whipcords over silk or merino longjohns, but, they are not "cheap".

I am not impressed by most of the recent trendy hunting clothing, seems more intended to catch hunters, IMO.

For warm weather, Cabela's or REI synthetic hiking pants as they are light and dry instantly. I wear only merino gonch under these and change mine frequently as I do my merino socks.

shottyshooter
07-13-2016, 07:53 AM
BBD - what merino underwear? I've gone through several pair of the Saxx and love them but the merino ones get holes and come apart at the seems way too fast.

Filson no longer makes the Whipcords! I emailed them and they stopped several years ago and have no plans to start again. I think llbean still makes a whipcord but I think it was a dress pant - no pockets.

JAGRMEISTER
07-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Marks work wearhouse or other "mens" store, and buy a pair of wool "loggers" pants! They last for years, warm when wet, blood is rinsed off before you back in camp!
Unless like most of the others you are fashion/brand conscious and need to be trendy! quieter than any other type of material which is important unless you hunt from the road.............

Backwoods
07-13-2016, 08:04 AM
I really like my Sitka timberline pants, the duty fees of purchasing kuiu

jacksondog
07-13-2016, 08:42 AM
I wear prAna pants in September they are super comfortable with lots of flex to them, somewhat similar to my Attack pants just a littler thinner material, and cheaper that Kuiu. Picked mine up from Valhalla Pure in Nelson.

ajr5406
07-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Marks work wearhouse or other "mens" store, and buy a pair of wool "loggers" pants! They last for years, warm when wet, blood is rinsed off before you back in camp!
Unless like most of the others you are fashion/brand conscious and need to be trendy! quieter than any other type of material which is important unless you hunt from the road.............

Thanks - will check them out. Are they too hot for early season?

skibum
07-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Wool pants, customized with a little re-reinforcement around the knees - I hike all day in these and they are very quiet

boxhitch
07-13-2016, 11:14 AM
Good luck finding any outlets with wool work pants.
Robertsons has?had them , though limited
Fishers , no longer

AgSilver
07-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Prana stretch Zion are a great pant in solid colours or the kuiu attack for camo

You don't find the Prana's too noisy? I have a few pairs and like them but wouldn't qualify them as quiet.

I wear the Kuiu Attacks quite a bit...wore them all winter and, on cooler days in the summer around town. Very comfortable, quiet, and the side zips are tops.

604redneck
07-13-2016, 03:14 PM
I have a pair of Lowe alpine pants in charcoal that have probably 200+ days on them over 3 years of hiking and hunting. They are great for mountain hunting I also have Sitka timberline pants that are great and am now looking at either the first lite or the new badlands gear both look amazing

ajr5406
08-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Thanks all for the recommendations - I just picked up a pair of the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants on sale (30% off). They fit well and are very comfortable, so should do the trick nicely. I got them a little big so I can wear some merino longs under them.

russm
08-11-2016, 02:52 PM
You dont need $400 pants, buy something comfy and afordable and put what you save into gas money or other gear.

skibum
08-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks all for the recommendation - I just picked up a pair of the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants on sale (30% off). They fit well and are very comfortable, so should do the trick nicely. I got them a little big so I can wear some merino longs under them.

did you order them online or in the store? I was watching them online but did not pull the trigger.

ajr5406
08-11-2016, 04:21 PM
did you order them online or in the store? I was watching them online but did not pull the trigger.

Funny I was looking online and almost bought some last night. However I'm in Victoria for work right now so stopped by the Eddie Bauer store here and got a pair. They have 30% off everything .

In the guide pro pants they had brown, charcoal and black. I grabbed a charcoal pair

milarm_cody
08-12-2016, 09:42 AM
First Lite Corrugate Guide Pant until mid-late October. First Lite Kanab 2.0 after that. Nothing fits better and I don't think you'll find a nylon/synthetic pant that is as tough as the Corrugate. I've put mine through hell and back and there is very little pilling of any kind. Super abrasion resistant!

Sportster
08-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Check out the 511 pants and outdoor clothes line. I have a couple of pares and I really like them. Really high quality stuff IMO. DS tatical carries the full line out in New Westminister.Go online and check them out.

skibum
08-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Check out the 511 pants and outdoor clothes line. I have a couple of pares and I really like them. Really high quality stuff IMO. DS tatical carries the full line out in New Westminister.Go online and check them out.

how quiet are they? ----- Flex-TacŪ ripstop fabric, but no clue what that means

Sinperama
08-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Go naked. I can promise you it's lightweight.

Brew
08-12-2016, 09:35 PM
The kuiu attack pants have been good.
Another bombproof pant is the fjallraven g1000 pants. A little bit noisy but not really bad at all. About 170$ canadian. Come in a few colours as well. Not camo though but a well designed pant with articulated knees and lots of pockets. The pants can be waxed as well to be totally water resistant

shortrange
08-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Eddie Bauer pants. I have some Travex pants I take hunting and when I go on trips, and a pair of Adventure Pants that I put on over fleece pants on those chilly winter mornings. Keeps my legs dry when walking in long grass. Sure you can spend a fortune but why? That's beer money going to waste...

Sportster
08-12-2016, 09:52 PM
how quiet are they? ----- Flex-TacŪ ripstop fabric, but no clue what that means

Their quiet, what can I say. They have solid colors and camo, you can tell their a quality product as soon as you pick them up and try them on. they come in solid colors and camo. I always buy a size up to allow for base layer when it's cold. Check them out under tactical 511.

Ron.C
08-13-2016, 07:35 AM
like any other gear topic, it really depends on what you expect and how you will use them.
If you are only day hunting, then most anything will do as you can change into something dry at the end of the day.
If you are backpack hunting, you really need something that is a little more durable and that dries fast.

I've tried a couple different pairs of hiking pants from Khul, and North Face. Both are comfortable and dry fast but got tears and holes and didn't seem to hold up well. I got my hands on a used pair of First lite Kanab pants for a bargin price. Wore them on a spring weekend bear hunt and put three holes in them. Washed them and gave them to my son.

I also have pair of Sitka pants I grabbed on a carzy bargin price form wholesale two years back. In my opinion hands down the best hunting pants I ever had. Having said that, there is no way in hell I can justify the regular price on these pants, but they do go on sale or you can get them used.

malahatmike
08-16-2016, 08:43 PM
Sitka timberlines and your done.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-05-2016, 07:36 PM
I Have Gander Mountain Guide series waterproof breathable .Tech20 The price was right ... Nice and Quite ..But i do need some other pants . sounds like Sitka gear Timberline are worth getting . the price seems reasonable too .

604ksmith
10-05-2016, 07:45 PM
My Fjallraven Vidda Pro pants (or Fjallraven Keb), have become a favourite over my Kuiu. They're made out of a super durable G-1000 material that is waxable (and re-waxable) for extra waterproofness.

They're not wool quiet, but I've never felt they're a disadvantage. They also have awesome pockets, durability, and in general are a more multipurpose outdoorsman pant.

SR80
10-06-2016, 06:45 AM
My Fjallraven Vidda Pro pants (or Fjallraven Keb), have become a favourite over my Kuiu. They're made out of a super durable G-1000 material that is waxable (and re-waxable) for extra waterproofness.

They're not wool quiet, but I've never felt they're a disadvantage. They also have awesome pockets, durability, and in general are a more multipurpose outdoorsman pant.

Are hot are those pants while hiking? Do they breath pretty good?

Backwoods
10-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Sitka timberline

charlie_horse
10-07-2016, 07:48 AM
Just finished two weeks of hard hunting for elk with my First lite Kanabs that I bought right before the hunt. I was really impressed, they wicked, kept me warm but we're breathable. I was worried about merino outer layer but we were in thick country and no rips. Was really impressed with them might buy another pair in camo. I bought and wore these in lieu of my sitka ascent pants.

Tenacious Billy
10-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Kuiu attacks get my vote. Breath nicely, super tough, dry quickly, comfortable and don't cost a huge amount of money.

You guys that wear Carhartts for mountain hunting are a special breed - to each their own I suppose, but nothing could be worse, IMO, than hiking up in wet, heavy denim. Nevermind the fact that they would never dry out......