PDA

View Full Version : Critique my sheep gear

MattErickson
07-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Good morning everyone. Headed out for 14 days for stone sheep. It'll be my first stone sheep hunt so i wanted some input on things i don't need that are on my list and things i need that aren't on my list, and then just some general critique of gear. Who doesn't like talking about mountain hunting gear! Thanks in advance.

Pack: stone glacier sky 7400

Hunting Gear:
Swaro 20-60x80 spotter with tripod
Vortex razor 10x50 binos
rangefinder
fixed blade knife
havalon skinner with 5 extra blades
tikka t3 .270 with 15 rounds

Camp gear:
Tent (jack wolfskin squamish 2) heavier but bombproof tent
siltarp
sleeping bag: (sea to summit spark 3)
thermarest
Jetboil with 2 fuel canisters
small pot
tin cup
spork

Clothing:

Scarpa wrangell boots (well broken in)
gaiters
1 pair Hiking pants
1 set of merino wool bottom and top
1 T-shirt
sitka rain gear
6 pairs of hiking socks
1 kuiu superdown jacket
1 midweight sitka hoody
leather gloves
touque
hat

Misc items
gold bond
baby wipes and 2 rolls TP
video camera
topo maps
gps and compass
lens cleaning cloth
trekking poles
water filter
solar panel
water bladder+MSR reserve bladder for storage
1 large garbage bag
pack cover
extra boot laces
dental floss and toothbrush
moleskin and ducttape
salt for cape
2 game bags
100' paracord
matches and lighters
first aid kit
headlamp

Food:
Dinner: mountain house
Breakfast: Oatmeal and a granola bar
lunch: jerky, smoked salmon and some granola bars

Right now im at ~50lbs without food packed.

bighornbob
07-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Things that jumped out for me.
Solar panel? For what?
Extra laces? Change them before you go. Can always use the paracord in an emergency.
Extra pair of underwear may be needed.
I throw in some zap straps also a small roll of duct tape (it can be wrapped around a water bottle).
A small chunk of or a 3/4 ridge rest foam sleeping pad. They weigh next to nothing and are great to keep your ass off the ground while glassing.

Just a few things that stuck out for me.

BHB

bigwhiteys
07-12-2016, 12:28 PM
gold bond
baby wipes and 2 rolls TP

Key right there, lol... You could probably double up on the wipes (walmart sells minipacks - I take 2) and also go down to about a 1/2 roll of TP.

solar panel

I tried this on my hunt last August and as you probably already know, solar power is very weather dependant. If the sun's out my small panel would charge my gopro and my inreach pretty quickly (within 2 hours). When the sun is not out it's useless and you're still packing it around. If you need extra power I'd take one or two of the small rechargeable external battery packs.

Zap straps as BHB suggested are also a staple in my pack, I usually take a mixture of sizes, about a dozen total. Might be overkill but Zap straps can fix a lot of broken stuff!

khoffnbud
07-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Priorities man! Where's the underwear?

Ltbullken
07-12-2016, 01:12 PM
I know... ounces count... but - Sewing kit, compact light weight rifle cleaning kit? With FA kit, make sure you have a good compress bandage, one with clotter is even better, like an Israeli bandage. Some kind of fire starter can be a life saver. I got some wax soaked cotton swabs - very light weight but potentially useful. A couple pairs of pants maybe - one light weight, the other a bit heavier perhaps. If a set gets trashed or seriously wet, having a warm/dry pair might save you a lot of heart ache. And WTF no rum?!

nedarb2
07-12-2016, 01:54 PM
I would:
loose the tin cup, drink from your nalgene/water bottle.
Take 3-4 pairs of extra socks and liners, not 6.
No solar panel, but take extra aa and aaa lithium batteries
no floss
put new laces on or get iron laces and good for life https://www.ironlace.com
add a spot or delorme emergency messenger

MattErickson
07-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys! Yea the underwear would have been a bad one to forget! I forgot my spot on that list as well. Zap straps are goin in and I'll find a glassing pad. Solar panel has a built in battery pack for charging when the sun isn't out.

decker9
07-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Thermarest makes a nice light sit pad, z lite, I think? I just orderd a couple myself. Something I'd think about adding is a pair of crocks, nice for around camp or when your just chillin. Also a couple extra garbage bags, they have a lot of different uses. Also, sun glasses, squinting all day (especially after hours of glassing) can cause a good headache, shades help. 151!! Because then you only need 1/2 as much.

Me personsly, would leave the wipes, gold bond and moleskin behind, but iv also never had issues where iv needed them.

Good luck on your first sheep hunt!!

todbartell
07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
make sure you bring enough food, and the right type of foods

https://exomountaingear.com/food-is-fuel-sustained-energy-for-the-backcountry-hunter/

bighornbob
07-12-2016, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=MattErickson;1798027]Zap straps are goin in and I'll find a glassing pad. QUOTE]

I used to cut up one of those cheap blue foamies and I still use one for deer hunting. But a couple years ago I got one of these.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/z-lite/product#

It folds up nice and small and you can double it up for added comfort while glassing. As you always have it with you, it could be a life saver if you need to spend the night away from your tent. It also seconds as a napping pad in the sun:razz: I also used mine last year to throw under my regular sleeping pad when we were on some real rocky ground and had already punctured my regular sleeping pad. After patching I would throw this one under it for sleeping.

BHB

bighornbob
07-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Me personsly, would leave the wipes, gold bond and moleskin behind, but iv also never had issues where iv needed them.

I too thought this way. Never had an issue either till last years hunt. Forget sheep hunting when you are limping around camp and taking pain killers. Gold bond coming with me from now on.

I would second the crocs too. Buy a cheap pair at the dollar store. Weigh next to nothing and can be used for creek crossing or lounging around camp. Nothing greater then coming back from a long hike and getting out of your boots and into a pair of crocs as you are hanging around the tent, cooking dinner etc.

BHB

Ltbullken
07-12-2016, 02:56 PM
This is a minor point - having a small multi tool with pliers that you can use for repairs, etc., BUT also for removing the Havalon blades... I've heard of some really nasty lacerations on people trying to replace the blades. I have one and the thought of getting a cut from those blades while struggling to remove a blade gives me a shudder. Maybe not such a minor point...

Ltbullken
07-12-2016, 02:57 PM
I too thought this way. Never had an issue either till last years hunt. Forget sheep hunting when you are limping around camp and taking pain killers. Gold bond coming with me from now on.

I would second the crocs too. Buy a cheap pair at the dollar store. Weigh next to nothing and can be used for creek crossing or lounging around camp. Nothing greater then coming back from a long hike and getting out of your boots and into a pair of crocs as you are hanging around the tent, cooking dinner etc.

BHB

Ditto - and also add Tylenol & Advil!!

boxhitch
07-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Dollar Store has tiny tubes of crazy glue, good for repairs and wounds
Butt pad for glassing is a luxury , not a necessity, rain gear or sweater works good.
Electrical tape for bandaging, muzzle cover,
Zap straps are special purpose not multi purpose, hay wire and 1" Gorilla tape have more uses.

A few years ago I started packing a square of crazy carpet plastic, for seat/table top, for cutting board, for xl scope storm/rain cover, megaphone call, antler decoy, funnel, wind screen, sleeve for spotter and/or tripod making it easy to get in and out of a tight pack,........etc etc

boxhitch
07-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Extend the life of scalpel blades by stropping on some leather
Dispose of scalpel blades by shoving them into the ground deep.

kodiak18
07-12-2016, 03:46 PM
Do most of you guys carry a sil tarp or other type of tarp? This will be my 5th trip up north and never took one before. Yes there has been times it would be nice but we've made do. One day I'm saying I'm gonna buy one then decide I don't need it.

warnniklz
07-12-2016, 03:47 PM
I'd get a multi pack of lighters and store them in a bunch of separate spots.

kootenayslam
07-12-2016, 04:43 PM
tea is a nice treat on those rain/fog days in the tent

decker9
07-12-2016, 04:57 PM
make sure you bring enough food, and the right type of foods

https://exomountaingear.com/food-is-fuel-sustained-energy-for-the-backcountry-hunter/

This is some good info, thanks!!

noth615
07-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Wish this was my gear list dude! Those are some pretty nice items to have in the pack. I have done a dozen mountain trips so far, and never used any water filtration, can always save you some weight!

boxhitch
07-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Do most of you guys carry a sil tarp or other type of tarp? This will be my 5th trip up north and never took one before. Yes there has been times it would be nice but we've made do. One day I'm saying I'm gonna buy one then decide I don't need it.carried one lots , probably had more use for a sil-poncho

LuckyIfYouGetOne
07-12-2016, 06:08 PM
That's a sweet list, I always bring an inreach on all my hunting trips whether I go solo or with someone. I use to attach the inreach to my bag but started to make sure I had the device on my person. That way if I fell or had to ditch my bag I had the device on me. Best of luck on your hunt!

Brno22F
07-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Very good list. Similar to the one Bigwhities posted and that has been referenced several times here on HBC.
My son and I used it to put together our gear for our hunt last August and are doing the same again this year.
One thing I found useful on our trip was a small bottle of CampSuds.
Rather than 6 pairs of socks, I took 3 pairs and took a few minutes to wash a pair every day or so.
CampSuds work well in cold water. Fine for washing dishes as well.
A small synthetic (not cotton) face cloth is handy as well.

islandhunter
07-12-2016, 07:39 PM
I never bother bringing a sleeping pad. But I do love the comfort of those little ultralite chairs, Great to sit after a long day hunting. Hot chocolate powder is a must too!
I would ditch the game bags for pillow cases, they also help you separate your gear a bit. Maybe some fireball?

ydouask
07-12-2016, 07:51 PM
You could end up with hot, dry, windy conditions so I would add a tube of chap stick, sun block is optional ... depends on your complexion. Oh, I would always have tweezers, nail clippers for those precious toes, and shades. Glass, glass, and glass some more.... good luck!

Caveman
07-12-2016, 11:03 PM
Extra batteries, rather than the solar panel, small bag of hard candies for between meals, 15 rounds?, maybe leave a few behind, second on the crocs, gatorade powder, freeze dried coffee, cream and sugar packets, a couple lightweight carabiners for strapping things down or clipping the crocs to, 1/2 the socks, depending on the time, Hi-vis survey tape, pillow cases rather than game bags, use then for organizing/separating gear when not in use for meat

Bear Brawler
07-12-2016, 11:27 PM
Starbucks single serving coffee, I don't usually like Starbucks but these instant coffees are great. I ran out last time, i need 4-5 a day, I always bring my jetboil and make coffee when sitting and glassing.

howa1500
07-13-2016, 12:31 AM
Id consider pemmican and or biltong for some food. Caloric and fat dense food

SR80
07-13-2016, 06:38 AM
I would bring only one extra pair of socks instead of 6, 1 extra pair of underwear. Ditch the solar panel. Spare pot? Your jetboil has a pot, your jetboil also has a plastic cup on the bottom too. 1 pair of pants is good, if in need LJs and rain pants work as a second pair. 1/2 to 3/4 roll of TP, and two small packs of wipes. Leather gloves are nice, but once wet take awhile to dry out. Moleskin never seems to stick for more than an hour, order up some leukotape on amazon, and it'll stick to your foot for your whole trip. I like tag bags for game bags, check out the bomb bags, keeps your meat in a vertical tube rather than balling up into a round ball at the bottom of your pack like in a pillow case. Sitting pad is a must, either chop up a thermarest z pad or grab a colorfull foam pad from the gardening center. Never brought extra laces (paracord or tie the broken lace is needed) , I always just install new lithium batteries in all my electronics before a trip. Ive never packed gold bond on a trip either, never had a problem where i wished i had it. Thats all ive got. Good luck on your trip, youll be hooked!

markathome
07-13-2016, 07:18 AM
I'm SR80 - way less clothing. Wear your go-to "suit" when you're leaving the truck and the only thing in the pack is an insulation layer (LJ and puffy), rain gear and your other pair of socks/underwear. I bring Vaseline because friction is bad. Also marino wool boxer briefs... because you deserve it.

bridger
07-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Small pack of blood clotting coagulate in case your knife slips.

JAGRMEISTER
07-13-2016, 08:14 AM
Maps? you can see where you are going And should be familiar with watersheds.
Video camera? so you can record it for the shoe box? You will remember the trip.
Gold bond? what about underarm deodorant and hair curlers?
baby wipes? just wash up in cold fresh water.
compass? use a gps.
waterfilter. never been sick and been at it for 40m yrs
Solar panel? why not the TV too
T-shirt? Cotton is nothing but useless, wool is the answer.
Range finder, only if you shooting over 3-400 yds. Get out and shoot more.
Food will be lighter on return trip, the above is just dead weight in and out.

Backwoods
07-13-2016, 08:20 AM
I would:
loose the tin cup, drink from your nalgene/water bottle.
Take 3-4 pairs of extra socks and liners, not 6.
No solar panel, but take extra aa and aaa lithium batteries
no floss
put new laces on or get iron laces and good for life https://www.ironlace.com
add a spot or delorme emergency messenger
Small travel size floss is a great thing to have in your pack, for yourself and when you drop sheep you can close the mouth buy wrapping the floss gently around the Roman-nose and clean up blood with baby wipes to get some really classy clean pictures of your stone!!! Good luck! I feel it gonna be a great sheep season! Can't wait less then a month!

MadCat
07-13-2016, 08:24 AM
I would also bring a handfull of cystal light packets. They are great to get you to pound the water down and can double as a hot drink if your stuck in the tent for days.

Ltbullken
07-13-2016, 08:57 AM
I would also bring a handfull of cystal light packets. They are great to get you to pound the water down and can double as a hot drink if your stuck in the tent for days.

Electrolyte MIO - weight savings

Ltbullken
07-13-2016, 08:59 AM
I wonder how much the pack weighs now?! Lol!

barry1974w
07-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Get giardiasis once, you'll never leave your water purification stuff behind again��

JAGRMEISTER
07-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Watch your drinking source? Never owned one and have had it, from work in the bush! I know that some people will purchase every gadget made...........

MattErickson
07-13-2016, 06:22 PM
thanks to all for the advice! takin some things out and puttin other things in (double checked to make sure the sheep tag was in! lol) . After I get all my food sorted out ill post a final weight.

MattErickson
07-14-2016, 04:47 PM
84 lbs after it was all said and done

nature girl
07-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Okay I have never been on a sheep hunt but what if your stuck in your tent for a few days as the weather is crappy maybe bring a very small book to read or a small journal to write things in. You could always burn it if it is those few extra ounces that you do not want to carry or also could be used as ass wipe. If it was me going on a 14 day hunt I definitely would be taking 2 rolls of tp paper. What are you going to do if you get the runs real bad. Use your 1 pair on underwear that you brought.
I see you had a video camera what about a regular camera.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-14-2016, 07:20 PM

Now that you've added a few items, it's time to rethink your priorities and start removing some items.

Quesnel Kid
07-14-2016, 08:04 PM
You likely have your gear pretty dailed. Like others have said a set of camp shoes is a must and for me a dry shirt to put on when I get to camp. I would re consider your food though. You are going to be really sick of eating mountain house and oat meal every day, and I also question wether you will have enough calories. It is good to have a couple different breakfast options so you can switch it up. I have been on trips were I just can't bring my self to eat oatmeal even though my body needs it. Switch it up be creatative sometimes a cup of coffee and some trail mix is enough other mornings breakfast wraps using dehydrated eggs and heat and bacon with hot sauce is really nice. Bring lots of different snacks, I find I crave crunchy foods cuz most thing you eat out there are mushy (this might just be me though). There are lots of light weight meals that you can prepar using items from the grocery store, and if you live in a bigger center you likely have good access to dehydrated ingredients. Don't be limited by mountain house you can create your own healthier tastier and less salty option. My last suggestion is to bring a small bottle of olive oil. Your body will be craving fats and after a few days out there you will be putting it on everything. Also works as gun oil.

Happy hunting it it will be an awesome trip.

QK

Fred1
07-14-2016, 08:22 PM
84lbs?!! You gotta get that down... If you have anything that is a "might need" get rid of it. I carry fairly heavy gear in the bush every day. I'm fit and strong. Shit I even train a bit for a hunt. You are going to feel every step With 84lbs. It will wear you down. Try and get it down to 65 ish. I came out last year with 122 and it was heavy. I was tired. Take what you need to survive. Minimize the comfort stuff to a point (3ply asswhipe is ok). The best advice you will get is do a bit of training. Packin 60-80lbs of gear on steep uneven ground is no easy task and takes some getting used too! Good luck and giver!!!

markathome
07-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Including rifle?

Fred1
07-14-2016, 08:32 PM
You have to pack it you better include it in the weight

Fred1
07-14-2016, 08:36 PM
I don't include what I wear in my carry weight. You always have to wear something. For instance I'm 200lbs nude. Last year on the scale at the airstrip all duded up I was 277lbs. (But I had just eaten two baconaters too). ;)

Stone Sheep Steve
07-14-2016, 08:39 PM
How big are your fuel canisters?? I take 1 -450gm cannister. I've never come close to running out of fuel.
Now I only pack a Havalon and skip the knife altogether.

80mm spotter??!! I know you are not going to buy another one but there's certainly some weight and space savings dropping to a 65mm.

Salt- How much?? I fill a 650ml gatorade bottle. Leave more at the drop point.

argyle1
07-15-2016, 06:50 AM
and the crocks are great for creek crossings

Ltbullken
07-15-2016, 07:52 AM

The difference between 'might need' and 'absolutely need' starts to take hold!

BCrams
07-15-2016, 08:40 AM
84 lbs is a bit heavy. My pack weighs (with heavier Barney pack). Approx 65-68 lbs for 2 weeks. It is a very heavy load with a ram on top of that.

Most on here like SSS, BHB, SR80, bigwhiteys etc have made good suggestions.

MattErickson
07-15-2016, 09:20 AM
That weight is with everything except my boots, I had a big ziploc full of salt so I will drop that to a gatorate bottle as suggested. Food i could go down on weight a bit too (sitting at around 30lbs), have gone for a few hikes with the pack now and its not too bad, main camp will just be 5k from the lake. hopefully the pack weighs a lot more than this on the way out! Thanks for all the advice!

Eastbranch
07-15-2016, 10:13 AM
Your tent weighs twice what a 14 day sheep hunt tent should. 9 pounds is an absurd tent. You should be aiming for 3-5lb. It's an August hunt, you're not going to need a four season 'bombproof' tent.
Lose the jetboil and get a lightweight stove like a pocket rocket.
Get a Ti pot.
Lose the tin cup, drink from the pot.
Lose the gold bond and baby wipes.
Lose the video camera
Lose the water filter. Boil or tablets.
Lose the solar panel
Max 2lb of food a day, high calorie stuff. Weight it. Pack each day's worth of food into single bags.
You cut all that and you're into the 70lb range.
The article on food from bartell is good, but remember when you're picking food that most of our bodies aren't currently using fat for energy. You have to get into ketosis for your body to efficiently use fat for energy. Most people are burning carbs day to day so if you go out and start loading your body with fats when you hit the trail, it can really mess with your energy levels.

Fred1
07-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Jetboil is far mor fuel efficient than the pocket rocket.. I have both... On long trips where weight is concerned the jet boil wins hands down... Do the reading.. . Done the testing. Pocket and micro rockets do best on short trips......

Stone Sheep Steve
07-16-2016, 07:46 AM
Jetboil is far mor fuel efficient than the pocket rocket.. I have both... On long trips where weight is concerned the jet boil wins hands down... Do the reading.. . Done the testing. Pocket and micro rockets do best on short trips......

And now a lot of guys are opting for MSR Reactors over Jetboils. Haven't used either of those as my old Brunton Raptor won't die.

Fred1
07-16-2016, 10:03 AM
I have a friend with a reactor. I haven't tried it yet. Looks like a good unit

HarryToolips
07-16-2016, 10:38 AM
And now a lot of guys are opting for MSR Reactors over Jetboils. Haven't used either of those as my old Brunton Raptor won't die.
I have the MSR Reactor, works great..

HarryToolips
07-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Maps? you can see where you are going And should be familiar with watersheds.
Video camera? so you can record it for the shoe box? You will remember the trip.
Gold bond? what about underarm deodorant and hair curlers?
baby wipes? just wash up in cold fresh water.
compass? use a gps.
waterfilter. never been sick and been at it for 40m yrs
Solar panel? why not the TV too
T-shirt? Cotton is nothing but useless, wool is the answer.
Range finder, only if you shooting over 3-400 yds. Get out and shoot more.
Food will be lighter on return trip, the above is just dead weight in and out.
I personally agree with all of this, except for removing the compass, if your going to use a GPS as your primary navigation source, it's always good to have a compass as backup...and from personal experience, mullen seriously works well as ass-wipe, very soft:D....iirc, I see it whenever I'm up in the subalpine/alpine as well..

BimmerBob
07-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Some great suggestions by knowledgeable folks on here but one thing I don't see listed is a set of trekking poles (hiking poles), they will help you immeasurably on the hillsides and as supports for your siltarp.

Jrax
07-16-2016, 11:42 AM
are you going with a partner? if so, I agree as mentioned above... cut the bombproof tent if possible and take a lightweight. Either way with the bombproof tent or lightweight tent I would take only 1 tent b/w 2 guys and 1 guy can prop up and sleep under the siltarp while other guy sleeps in tent. If weather turns ugly then you can always crawl in the bomb shelter. Not ideal but it saves a lot of weight. I started to prefer just the siltarp in ok to great weather. In all of the bad weather I have encountered with rain and snow and light winds it was ok. I would venture to say in moderate to high winds combined with rain and/or snow that sleeping under sil tarp would suck unless you had a great spot to set up.

when going for day hikes from main camp chasing sheep I started packing the siltarp in pack so had option of setting up close to rams for a morning stalk/shot as opposed to hiking 6km back to camp then 6km back to sheep the next day. Sheep always pushed me to limits, never had an easy opportunity. Then again I am a late season hunter when pressure has pushed them to hidden hanging valleys.

Hunt247
08-02-2016, 01:57 PM
I use wysi wipes instead of baby wipes they are very light compact and work well and are biodegradable. A little secret for food is instant mash potatoes and gravy along with precooked bacon this makes a very tasty meal.