PDA

View Full Version : Tuna fishing on vancouver island

drakfero
07-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Anyone knows someone who does tuna charters for a good price? Please PM me..

Rhyno
07-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Viewwest fishing adventures. Chris is crazy about catching tuna as for price not sure how he compares but it costs a lot to run boat that far off shore.

srupp
07-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Hmmm would also like that ...but scared of being that far off land in small boat..going across Atlantic ocean in cruise ship was bad enough..lol
Steven

Chopper333
07-11-2016, 06:42 PM
Ocean Rambler - Steve Yak. He does tuna out of Ukee. I believe the price is $2000 up to 4 people. His boat is beautiful. They usually run a few boats out at a time for safety and other reasons.

Bonus is Steve feeds ya venison pepperoni and jerky while fishing.

Good Luck.

Amphibious
07-11-2016, 07:15 PM
We were putting a trip together with a guy out of Tahsis, but they took tuna of the Spearfishing list. Silly.

MB_Boy
07-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Did it a few years ago out of Tofino with Ospray Charters.....got 28!

Kyuquot is great....the warm water was all of about 18 miles out last August (compared to the 50 miles we ran out of Tofino) sadly I didn't have the expertise or crew to try.

Its a tough charter to book as weather and satellite imagery weigh a lot into it. I got the call in Vancouver that all was looking good 2 days in advance and made the run to Tofino.

Patman7
07-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Went to Westport Washington last year and fished on the Rampage with Randy. 10 of us caught 105 tuna in 8 hrs, all between 20 and 30 lbs a piecce, boy, were we played out! About $600.00 US per person, plus $4.00 a fish for cleaning, and $50.00 per person tip each to the two deckhands. Would use him again, google some of his videos!
Pat

frodo
07-16-2016, 08:10 PM
Went to Westport Washington last year and fished on the Rampage with Randy. 10 of us caught 105 tuna in 8 hrs, all between 20 and 30 lbs a piecce, boy, were we played out! About $600.00 US per person, plus $4.00 a fish for cleaning, and $50.00 per person tip each to the two deckhands. Would use him again, google some of his videos!
Pat

We did the same trip only 200 Tuna

steve-r
07-16-2016, 08:18 PM
Another vote for Westport. Been 3 times.
Did the 2 night trip on the Tornado labour day weekend. $600 usd plus tip and processing.
Left the dock at 8pm, motored out 45 miles and started fishing at daybreak.
The skipper trolled until we hit a fish, then the excitement happened. If youve ever been in on a bait-stop with live anchovy you know what I mean. If not, look for a youtube on it.
10 guys all hooked up at the same time. . Lines crossed, fish circling the boat. Its a full workout.
Take a break when the Blue sharks show up with all the blood in the water. Then re-locate the school and do it again.
We sat on a school all day. 10 guys boated 270 Albacore, avg 15-25lbs, done by 4pm. Ended up 60 miles out and then headed back to port. Woke up at the dock at 6am, unloaded, and headed home.
We took 3 pickups, each carrying a commercial fish tote full of ice from a fish processor in Ladner.
We brought home the tuna in the round, took it to a processor in Richmond who flash froze it to -40 for a couple weeks, ( sushi grade!!!) then he processed the loins with a commercial band saw system, and vacuum sealed each loin. Looking forward to doing it again.

northof49
07-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a fun trip. What are licence requirements down there? Any issues coming back through customs ? How many are you allowed to bring back over border?

Brez
07-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Check out Murphy's Sportfishing when they are in Kyuquot. End of Aug - early Sept they catch them anywhere from 10 to 50 miles (or km, I can't remember) out. They usually combine with salmon, hali, ling, etc. Weather has to be nice enough to go to the far places. I'm going with them this year and hoping for good weather.

capt hook
07-18-2016, 06:17 PM
I fished commercially all my life....and i,m a senior now.
Only thing i suggest is ,
MAKE SURE who ever you choose , make sure the boat has a valid life raft and survival suits .
Enough for everyone.
Things can change and go from awesome to nightmare REALLLY FAST!
Think Safety First ... !

Moose63
07-18-2016, 06:46 PM
I fished commercially all my life....and i,m a senior now.
Only thing i suggest is ,
MAKE SURE who ever you choose , make sure the boat has a valid life raft and survival suits .
Enough for everyone.
Things can change and go from awesome to nightmare REALLLY FAST!
Think Safety First ... !

Thanks for the reminder!

Foxtail
07-18-2016, 07:41 PM
When the captain starts putting on his life jacket... Best be getting yours on.

Budman
07-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Sounds like a fun trip. What are licence requirements down there? Any issues coming back through customs ? How many are you allowed to bring back over border?

X2. I also would be interested in this also.

Patman7
07-24-2016, 02:30 PM
X2. I also would be interested in this also.

Licence was about $20.00 for two days, there is no limit on pole caught tuna, we brought about 100lbs of fillets back each, no problem coming through customs.

northof49
07-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks appreciate the tips

DeDutch
08-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Any ideas as to how best to transport the fish? If they are already cut into loins, leave them on ice in a cooler, in plastic bags on ice etc?

northof49
08-04-2016, 05:44 PM
I would put in plastic bags and pack in ice and seal up the bags well....maybe even double bag.

.264winmag
08-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Talked to a commie boat at esperanza today, they had one good day then nothing and blown off the water 70 miles out today...

.264winmag
08-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Check out Murphy's Sportfishing when they are in Kyuquot. End of Aug - early Sept they catch them anywhere from 10 to 50 miles (or km, I can't remember) out. They usually combine with salmon, hali, ling, etc. Weather has to be nice enough to go to the far places. I'm going with them this year and hoping for good weather.

I'd pick reel obsession sportfishing first, but I'm a bit biased since I'm friends with Adrian. Best guide on the westside bar none...

.264winmag
08-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Another vote for Westport. Been 3 times.
Did the 2 night trip on the Tornado labour day weekend. $600 usd plus tip and processing.
Left the dock at 8pm, motored out 45 miles and started fishing at daybreak.
The skipper trolled until we hit a fish, then the excitement happened. If youve ever been in on a bait-stop with live anchovy you know what I mean. If not, look for a youtube on it.
10 guys all hooked up at the same time. . Lines crossed, fish circling the boat. Its a full workout.
Take a break when the Blue sharks show up with all the blood in the water. Then re-locate the school and do it again.
We sat on a school all day. 10 guys boated 270 Albacore, avg 15-25lbs, done by 4pm. Ended up 60 miles out and then headed back to port. Woke up at the dock at 6am, unloaded, and headed home.
We took 3 pickups, each carrying a commercial fish tote full of ice from a fish processor in Ladner.
We brought home the tuna in the round, took it to a processor in Richmond who flash froze it to -40 for a couple weeks, ( sushi grade!!!) then he processed the loins with a commercial band saw system, and vacuum sealed each loin. Looking forward to doing it again.

Pretty much what my boys did last year, I couldn't make cause passport bs but I received 8 fish worth in loin form. Better n salmon imo. $550 iirc for 1.5 days fishin. cheep as shit really...