PDA

View Full Version : muzzle break gunsmith

Borcagu
07-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Hello all,
I would like to install muzzle break on my new 9.3 x 62 CZ 550.
Is there any gunsmith in Vancouver area that can do that?
Thank you all for any info .....

shortrange
07-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Hello all,
I would like to install muzzle break on my new 9.3 x 62 CZ 550.
Is there any gunsmith in Vancouver area that can do that?
Thank you all for any info .....

Bits of Pieces in Delta, but they take forever. If you go to Reliable they send to some guy on the island. Good luck!

Borcagu
07-10-2016, 10:01 PM
Thank you .....
I will try those guys

sako79
07-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Gary flach in langley. GEF on this forum is his name

plumberjustin
07-10-2016, 10:15 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5888&stc=1
X2 on Gary Flach, does great work.

Coachman
07-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Take it apart and mail the Barrel to corlanes. It will be back in a couple weeks. I love mine on my Tikka 7mag. My 14 year old daughter shoots it now.

dracb
07-10-2016, 11:06 PM
Gary Flach (GEF on this site) custom makes muzzle brakes. Does beautiful work, with a quick turn around.

kevan
07-10-2016, 11:06 PM
Gary flach in langley. GEF on this forum is his name

Gary does muzzle brakes, but he doesn't " break " muzzles.

Borcagu
07-10-2016, 11:45 PM
Hi Kevan,
Thank you for your input and English 101 lesson .... I don't mind it ......
Lol ....
English is not my first language,as you can see, but I try to get by as much as i can and that is the reason I do not post here much.I hope you do understand that.
Thank you all for your help.....

kevan
07-10-2016, 11:56 PM
I am sorry, forgive me for giving you a bad time.
Just getting senile in my old age, don't let it happen to you.

Give Gary a call he does excellent work and quick too, Again sorry..

Jagermeister
07-11-2016, 12:00 AM
I would not do that, muzzle break that is. Not on that rifle or any others for that matter. If you are finding recoil a tad too much, it would be far more practical to have the stock adjusted to your length of trigger pull.

Borcagu
07-11-2016, 12:26 AM
No problem Kevan,
I do understand ..... been there and done that .... I am 55 so I do understand everything ....
Thank you for your help

BgBlkDg
07-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Bits of Pieces in Delta, but they take forever. If you go to Reliable they send to some guy on the island. Good luck!

My suggestion would definitely be Gary, however, Reliable, with whom I have now dealt since April, 1968, KNOW their stuff and are MOST careful about gun work....and, have worked on my very $$$$$ Dakota 76-.338WM and my Merkel drilling, also rather $$$$ as well as British guns worth so much it is scary.

The "some guy on the island" is Terry Gerness, a retired fisheries biologist and among the nicest guys I have ever known. He is an outstanding gunsmith and has done work for me that equals or excels any by anyone I have ever had work done by, including world famed US gunsmiths.

Either of the above are THE only smiths in the LM I would trust to do this, Kolenbrander in Cranbrook is another outstanding smith and my friend Terry L'Heureux, is another. Martinis, wont do this sort of work since about five years ago and so the two LM smiths are probably your best option.

I hate muzzle brakes, removed that from my Kimber Mountain Ascent, .280AI, before the first shot and would never put one on any rifle I owned, but, each to his own.

Borcagu
07-11-2016, 12:52 AM
Hi Jegermeister,
I have had few rifles in 300 Win mag and had problems with recoil, too much of it.
I can take 7 mm Remington Magnum.But having friends 300 Win mag with brake on a Browning was a pussy to shoot.
That is why I would like to install brake on my new 9.3.
I like that caliber for bears and moose.
Being dhiabethic I can't take much of recoiill and that is why I need muzzle brake.I will consider your advise.
Thank you

l

Borcagu
07-11-2016, 12:57 AM
Thank you BLDG .......

BgBlkDg
07-11-2016, 01:18 AM
Something, to be aware of is that muzzle brakes tend to work best when used with high velocity, high pressure rounds such as the .300 WM, 7 RM and .340 Weatherby, etc.

When, you go to a relatively "slow" and medium case capacity round like the superb 9.3x62, moderate pressures and without that fast, hard "snap" recoil such as the others I mention here, the brake does NOT seem to lessen felt recoil nearly as much.

I have had about 150 big game rifles over 52 years, shot many more and used brakes, Magnaporting and various recoil pads and I now have five 9.3 rifles, four x62 and my drilling, x74r......own two .300 mags, had a few 7RMs and on and on.......the above is from 58+ years of shooting and may help you to avoid an error that will cost you $$$$.

One of my 9.3x62s IS a CZ-550, highly customized and lighter, I find it easy to shoot with a good pad like Decelerator and a Limbsaver would work as well......food for thought.

leannejason
07-11-2016, 04:12 AM
I had Dlask in Vancouver install a muzzle brake on my 300 win mag X-Bolt. They did an excellent job. One important piece of advice though...... Don't shoot it with out hearing protection !
You'll quickly learn what tinnitus is....:wink:
I use a muzzle brake not primarily for recoil reduction, but to protect the Muzzle/crown/riffling. I'm quite hard on my equipment.
I've learned to hang fast access hearing protection around my neck while hunting.

BgBlkDg
07-11-2016, 04:38 AM
I had Joe do quite a lot of work for me about 25 years ago, should have thought of him as he IS a fine smith and is another option.

Jagermeister
07-11-2016, 01:26 PM
I have had 4 300WM, (only one at present) none with muzzle brake or magnaporting.
A BSA Monarch CF2, that could be harsh if one were to be into the very last half of the box;
A customhouse 300WM on a P17 that was like the BSA;
A Ruger MII that was the worst, the barrel end was too light and recoil caused the barrel to lift driving downward on the clavicle. Did not take long to move that one along.
And the current one is a CZ 550 LUX with the Bavarian stock. I can shoot this one well into the 2nd box without giving it thought.
The 9.3X62 that I own is from the RWS customhouse. At first it was very intolerable to shoot. Then I had the LOP corrected for me and I now find it a pleasure to shoot and very accurate as well. I have owned this rifle since the early '80s.
I had a Ruger #1 in 338WM once upon a time, it's recoil was far more tolerable than the 300s with the exception of the CZ.
The downside of muzzle braking a firearm is that the deflection of the blast to the rear is hard on the ears of those in close proximity to the shooter and including the shooter.
In regards to the 9.3. If recoil is harsh, then perhaps a reduction in bullet weight might be the answer. I have a preference for 232 grain offerings and will opt for something in the 250 to 260 grain in some cases. I avoid anything heavier as it is not necessary on this continent and will only reload them if nothing else is available.
I eclipse you in age by a bit Borcagu.

northof49
07-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Have them do an end cap as well so you can remove the muzzle brake for hunting bush and situations where no time to use hearing protection. Nice to have the option and the cap will protect the threads.

Tron
07-11-2016, 06:16 PM
I just had Dave Jennings install one for me. 2 week turn around and great to deal with. Check out his site at Jennings outdoor sports.

emerson
07-11-2016, 09:06 PM
I put a slip on Limbsaver on my CZ 550 to lengthen LOP and soften recoil. Worked great; I've used this on 3 rifles and a shot gun and every time it made a big difference. I have long arms though.

Borcagu
07-12-2016, 09:16 PM
Thank you all.
I think I will go with Gary

kevan
07-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Thank you all.
I think I will go with Gary

Let us know how it works out, Gary will look after you..

Borcagu
07-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Hi Kevan,
we had a nice short conversation tonight and he seems to be very nice guy.
For sure I will let everyone now how it turns out.
One more time thank you all.

REMINGTON JIM
07-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Gary does muzzle brakes, but he doesn't " break " muzzles.

Kevan is a Mean Basta*rd ! :sad: lol :smile: RJ

Weatherby Fan
07-25-2016, 09:19 PM
GEF on HBC or Gary Flach, does excellent work and in a timely manner, fair prices also,
i highly recommend Gary, has built me a cpl rifles and lots of other work besides, doesn't get any better than Gary

Cheers
WF

AgSilver
10-12-2016, 12:53 PM
How did the brake work out? I'm considering one on a lightweight 300 WSM but I'm not keen on doubling the volume of the report. Might just look at a better recoil pad.

kevan
10-12-2016, 01:00 PM
I'm curious to know how it worked out for Borcagu as well.
A couple of 9.3s that I have had were downright vicious for recoil... Or am I getting feeble ??