PDA

View Full Version : favorite slow cooker deer or bear roast recipe ?

luger
07-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Hey guys I've been trying new recipes for my deer and bear roast. The meat has turned out great and it's a great way to have fantastic dinners when the wife and I both work during the day. I'd like to try some new recipes for the slow cooker . Any ideas or favorite's?

tigrr
07-10-2016, 09:18 PM
4 -5lb bear roast, 1 large onion on bottom, 1/2tsp salt, 1/2tsp pepper, 4 cloves of garlic, 1/2 liter of beef broth. cook from frozen from 7 am till 5 pm.

Wentrot
07-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Made a deer roast two nights ago doing basically the same as the above post. Excellent.

Really just experiment with different ingredients, I don't think it's possible to be disssapointed by anything coming out of a slow cooker. Next step is getting one of those anova immersion circulators to try "sous vide" looks like a guy can really make some kick ass meals.

BiG Boar
07-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Slow cooker and game meat sucks. Haven't had one thing yet I've liked. Dry Dry Dry is all I ever get. But if you're into saw dust, fly at er. Game meat is best cooked medium rare, where it still has some moisture left in it.

Wentrot
07-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Slow cooker and game meat sucks. Haven't had one thing yet I've liked. Dry Dry Dry is all I ever get. But if you're into saw dust, fly at er. Game meat is best cooked medium rare, where it still has some moisture left in it.

My slow cooker has a hole in the lid for a meat thermometer. Easy enough to pull it at your desired temp.

AgSilver
07-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Made a deer roast two nights ago doing basically the same as the above post. Excellent.

Really just experiment with different ingredients, I don't think it's possible to be disssapointed by anything coming out of a slow cooker. Next step is getting one of those anova immersion circulators to try "sous vide" looks like a guy can really make some kick ass meals.

Sous vide is where it's at for just about everything. Did grouse that way and it was perfect (although I'd accidentally salted the crap out of it because I forgot that I brined it, too...woops).

Slow cookers can be disappointing. At least ours always left us disappointed.

Wentrot
07-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Sous vide is where it's at for just about everything. Did grouse that way and it was perfect (although I'd accidentally salted the crap out of it because I forgot that I brined it, too...woops).

Slow cookers can be disappointing. At least ours always left us disappointed.

Do you use one of the circulator/water heaters or just try and keep things regulated with a burner? The videos iv seen with people using the stove top make it appear like a pain. I'm just trying to justify buying one of the darn things. Have you made anything other than the grouse this way?

ajr5406
07-15-2016, 01:03 PM
I made a killer venison stew recently, with a large roast from a mule deer buck.

1. Diced up a whole roast into chunks, seasoned the meat and coated in flour and browned the meat in a pan to get lots of good colour.
2. Remove meat, and cook onion, garlic, leeks and carrots in the pan (with all the "fond" from the browned meat etc)
3. Add a few tablespoons of tomato paste to coat the veggies
4. Add meat back in and cover with some good stock (I used some homemade lamb bone stock) and red wine (2 cups)
5. Add a bay leaf or two and some rosemary from the garden.
6. Simmer for 6 hours or so on a very low heat, and add some more veggies in the last hour of cooking (I cooked it in a cast iron crock pot in the oven at 285 degrees).

Meat was falling apart and tender, the sauce was well thickened with the flour and very rich, and the veggies were perfectly cooked.

Honestly one of the best slow booked meals I have ever made (and I love slow cooked meals).

ajr5406
07-15-2016, 01:05 PM
Do you use one of the circulator/water heaters or just try and keep things regulated with a burner? The videos iv seen with people using the stove top make it appear like a pain. I'm just trying to justify buying one of the darn things. Have you made anything other than the grouse this way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INzdlHVewUo

winchester284
07-15-2016, 05:13 PM
I use a pressure cooker for some wild game roasts. After browning the meat I add salt, pepper, onion, garlic and a can of beer for liquid. 30 to 45 minutes is all it takes.

bridger
07-15-2016, 05:46 PM
I made a killer venison stew recently, with a large roast from a mule deer buck.

1. Diced up a whole roast into chunks, seasoned the meat and coated in flour and browned the meat in a pan to get lots of good colour.
2. Remove meat, and cook onion, garlic, leeks and carrots in the pan (with all the "fond" from the browned meat etc)
3. Add a few tablespoons of tomato paste to coat the veggies
4. Add meat back in and cover with some good stock (I used some homemade lamb bone stock) and red wine (2 cups)
5. Add a bay leaf or two and some rosemary from the garden.
6. Simmer for 6 hours or so on a very low heat, and add some more veggies in the last hour of cooking (I cooked it in a cast iron crock pot in the oven at 285 degrees).

Meat was falling apart and tender, the sauce was well thickened with the flour and very rich, and the veggies were perfectly cooked.

Honestly one of the best slow booked meals I have ever made (and I love slow cooked meals).

Not clear if you simmered on stove top in frying pan then an hour in the crock pot in the oven or all six hrs in oven

DMD
07-15-2016, 06:11 PM
I quite like this one,

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-roast-beef-or-venison-57059

randymac
07-15-2016, 09:39 PM
if your going out all day and want to put on around 8 am for dinner around 5 or 6 leave frozen
otherwise thaw and put on around 10 or 11
moose or deer roast
1 1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soya sauce
salt & pepper
1 large onion peeled and cut in half
drain and thicken juice with cornstarch
turns the toughest roast into delicious fall apart tender
enjoy

ajr5406
07-16-2016, 06:35 AM
Not clear if you simmered on stove top in frying pan then an hour in the crock pot in the oven or all six hrs in oven

Sorry, got everything started on the stove top and then once the stock etc was in and simmering I transfer to the oven on a low heat to cook for 6hrs

AgSilver
07-16-2016, 09:25 PM

I did that at first but got tired of it quickly. Got a Dorkfood DSV but found it to be not up to my standards so then got an Anova PC and it's been awesome. I've used it for everything from steaks to eggs to ice cream to creme brûlée. Short ribs for 72 hours are phenomenal.

tigrr
07-16-2016, 09:47 PM
New twist. V H Honey and garlic sauce in the crock pot and just add any meat. Slow cook from 11am till supper. Small pieces is best. Chicken today. I add extra garlic powder and extra salt. Works with browned bear meat balls too.

Treed
07-16-2016, 11:08 PM
Deer shanks in stock in a crock pot - cooked all day. Hmmmnnn, so good. Deer roast, I'd rather have medium rare. Deer stakes are best rare. Cast iron pan, super hot in oil. Just before its done, throw some red wine and watch it boil away leaving a beautiful glaze on the meat. Love cooking meat or fish the way it demands to be cooked.

huntinnewbie
07-17-2016, 08:12 AM
Deer shanks in stock in a crock pot - cooked all day. Hmmmnnn, so good. Deer roast, I'd rather have medium rare. Deer stakes are best rare. Cast iron pan, super hot in oil. Just before its done, throw some red wine and watch it boil away leaving a beautiful glaze on the meat. Love cooking meat or fish the way it demands to be cooked.

Did the same with last falls buck, had our meat cutter do the front legs same as lamb shanks, slow cooker using a lamb shank recipe. It was incredible.

Red_Mist
07-17-2016, 09:22 AM
I have the same issue as some with my game meat coming out dry in the slow cooker so generally l'll dump some bbq sauce in once done and pull it apart for pulled venison or moose etc

dougan
07-17-2016, 10:12 AM
Hit nail on head . Slow cooker is nothing more than boiled meat. Oven and meat thermometer do game meat justic

ajr5406
07-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Hit nail on head . Slow cooker is nothing more than boiled meat. Oven and meat thermometer do game meat justic

Do you find the same thing when cooking other meats, or just game meat? The lean nature of game meat makes its harder to cook, but I find getting color by searing in a hot pan before going into the slow cooker makes a real difference.

dougan
07-17-2016, 02:33 PM
Do you find the same thing when cooking other meats, or just game meat? The lean nature of game meat makes its harder to cook, but I find getting color by searing in a hot pan before going into the slow cooker makes a real difference.
Yes I'm a meat snob beef pork and whatnot are better cooked in the oven in my opinion . Just my opinion tho

luger
07-20-2016, 10:15 PM
My wife has done lots of roast in the slow cooker and they all turned out great. Never had a dry one yet. Are people forgetting the water or broth in with the roast or not put in enough in?

Brew
07-20-2016, 10:59 PM
I prefer to cook my roast and steaks on high heat and very fast. Pull them out at rare to medium rare and let them sit for 5 minutes. I find the meat is tender this way. I have never had good luck with a slow cooker. There is just not enough fat in wild game for this type of cooking.