PDA

View Full Version : Youth license and tags

Treed
07-10-2016, 02:17 PM
Hi I'm looking for some clarification on youth licenses and tags. My son's now 12 and has two years of youth licenses and has grouse and rabbits under his belt - just about used all my tags up for them last year. He's a good enough shot now to take a deer. My question is during the youth season, say whitetail antlerless and he shoots a doe, do I just cut my whitetail tag and indicate antlerless? Makes me nervous of meeting a CO a month later because there is no indication on the tag that he shot it not me.

I was thinking about taking him out in bow season and packing my bow while he packs my 30-06. Same issue there, pulling out a shot not arrowed deer. They should have youth tags that go on accompanying hunters licenses. Next year he'll have to do his CORE.

On another note, anyone used the core lokt reduced loads with 125 grains? Thoughts on that for mulies? He wouldn't be taking any shot over 100 yards.

Thanks

250 sav
07-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Hi I'm looking for some clarification on youth licenses and tags. My son's now 12 and has two years of youth licenses and has grouse and rabbits under his belt - just about used all my tags up for them last year. He's a good enough shot now to take a deer. My question is during the youth season, say whitetail antlerless and he shoots a doe, do I just cut my whitetail tag and indicate antlerless? Makes me nervous of meeting a CO a month later because there is no indication on the tag that he shot it not me.

I was thinking about taking him out in bow season and packing my bow while he packs my 30-06. Same issue there, pulling out a shot not arrowed deer. They should have youth tags that go on accompanying hunters licenses. Next year he'll have to do his CORE.

On another note, anyone used the core lokt reduced loads with 125 grains? Thoughts on that for mulies? He wouldn't be taking any shot over 100 yards.

Thanks

I always put in note section in the back of license the youth hunters name and youth license #

kodeman
07-10-2016, 04:50 PM
My boys have shot a few deer with reduced loads at 100yds with no issues.

Treed
07-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys. The note on the back is a good idea. Wasn't sure if they needed their residents license to hunt youth season. Sounds like they don't.

dougan
07-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Why not get his licence and own tags ???

shottyshooter
07-10-2016, 10:32 PM
" Thank you for your email dated May 3, 2013, regarding junior hunting licenses. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

All hunters under the age of 18 are permitted to hunt in the junior hunting seasons, regardless of what class of licence they possess. The Fish, Wildlife, and Habitat Management Branch is committed to recruiting young hunters into the sport and encourage youth hunters to participate in youth only opportunities. All hunters under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a licensed hunter 18 years of age or older. Junior licences do not come with species licenses. If a youth hunter harvests an animal under the authority of a junior hunting licence the harvest comes off the bag limit of the accompanying adult hunter. If this harvest occurs during the youth only season the accompanying adult cancels the appropriate species licence before handling the harvested animal. My recommendation is that the youth and adult remain in each other’s company during the duration of the hunting trip, if a Conservation Officer stops you and you have, for example, an antlerless deer in your possession during a period when only youth are permitted to harvest antlerless deer and there is no youth present you can expect to answer some questions. If the youth is with you and in possession of a junior licence, and you are in possession of your basic licence and a cancelled species licence the questions should be much easier and straight forward.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions or require clarification.

Regards,

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image001.jpg@01CE4A47.B5938340Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

Treed
07-11-2016, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the CEO approach to what to expect. Kinda what I figured. Would still be nice to have something to make it official.

He'll be hunting on his own tags next year. I'td be good to have him do the course on his own at 13. I want him to figure his own way through it.

Ben

Steeleco
07-11-2016, 06:02 AM
Even a month post hunt so long as you have his youth license in your pocket you will be fine. I was asked a few years back on the last day of does in reg 8 about the buck taken Sept 2nd in 3. Not even a issue, the CO said good for her, congrats!