PDA

View Full Version : Terrace/Skeena Help

Mulehahn
07-09-2016, 10:05 PM
I apologize for these dumb questions, but I wasn't expecting to be here and have never researched it. I was in PG on work when I got sent to Terrace. Cleaned that up, but have to head back to Langley on Monday so that leaves me with tomorrow morning to go fishing. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:

- I was told just to go to Ferry, is there a better place close? - Is it tide dependent? the Tide is out now, but will be back in by the 6?

- All I have my spin caster and an assortment of spoons and spinners. When I drove by everyone was just bar fishing? Would a casting work?

I don't really care if I catch anything as I have no way to transport it, but would still like to option to be there (even if it is 1/250 casts). I am just mostly looking to say I fished the Skeena.

Thanks for any information.

j270wsm
07-09-2016, 10:35 PM
Spent the last few days fishing different spots with the brother in law and didn't catch anything. We were fishing the same way as everyone else, 8-12oz weight, spin glows and roe. It has to the the most boring fishing I've ever done( I bet it's fun when the fishing is good)

BimmerBob
07-09-2016, 10:53 PM
There are a number of places that spoons and lures can work but they will be crowded. Lakelse Bridge at the Skeena river is a good spot, but you will need assistance landing them and the Kalum river has a number of good holes for lures fishing. The Kitimat is also a pretty good choice and I think flossing might work in a number of places however I never used that method when I was in the area. Spin and glow with a bar rig is pretty productive in the Skeena and I would suggest Remo Bar is a better spot than Ferry Island... Good luck!

meesemoot
07-10-2016, 01:13 AM
If you have never been west of Terrace, I would suggest taking a drive at least to Telegraph Point, a rest area at about mile 55 on the CN mile boards along the tracks beside the highway, and possibly continue to the railway overpass at Tyee, where the highway leaves the river and goes inland, before you turn around. It is some of the finest scenery in BC and, considering your equipment, would be more rewarding than fishing. There are several spots to stop for lunch right on the river bank.

Jrax
07-10-2016, 11:21 AM
sockeye started coming in good numbers last 3 days, steelhead trickling in as well and Chinook have been slow and steady coming in. Most people I have talked to had limited success with springs ....1 or 2 fish in a half day. I would target sockeye now. With a casting rod put a 3 or 4 inch pencil lead attached to a long leader with a tuft of wool on hook, cast out straight across from you and reel in steady. Fish in a spot with smaller rocks instead of big boulders to avoid snags and target riffly water. You should have some success at chrome sockeye and chance at springs and steelhead. I also add a small piece of roe on for a better chance of a spring or steelhead.

Mulehahn
07-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Thanks, I headed down to the Kitimat, hooked one but lost it. Still a good trip.

Jrax, wish I had read this before I headed out. I stopped at Ferry on the way out of town just to watch. As I was there a large school moved though, too small and too many to to be Springs. Pretty sure they were Sockeye as they just kept porpoising and not jumping like Pinks. All were 10 - 30 feet from shore. Made me wished my Rods weren't packed. Imagine drifting a Corkie through a school that size would be crazy. Strangely, none of the 30 or so bar fishers reeled and changed rods.