PDA

View Full Version : Access to 7-18 , your Screwed !!

Machinist
07-09-2016, 09:01 PM
We received 4 LEH bull moose tags for 7-18 so this weekend we did some scouting and guess what ?? When we reached the Suspension Bridge over the Mcgregor River that gives you access to 7-18 there is cement blocks across the road and a sign that states , ** No Vechile access ATV's ONLY ** #$@%^&* !!!! So i looked at the new Hunting regs online and sure enough on the first page for area 7A there is a Memo in a green block the states **** NOTICE to Hunters Access to Managment unit 7-18 is limited , The Mcgregor suspension bridge is restricted to ATV use only and is scheduled to be removed **
So if they remove it before hunting season the only way to access the area would be via jet boat on the river ,
Why weren't hunters informed of this in the LEH reg's ? so they could be better informed in making their LEH selections ?
Its hard enough to get a tag and now we not be able to use them !! I am sure there are others on this hunting site that have 7-18 tags and this will throw a shaft into their plans

takla1
07-09-2016, 09:13 PM
Its happened to me over the yrs,that and indian road blocks can throw a wrench into mans best made plans.You now need a boat sturdy enough to haul a quad for a quick diagonal crossing.Been there done that
adapt ,improvize and overcome comes to mind
goodluck when on the other side youll have the place to yourself

takla

Corb89
07-09-2016, 09:16 PM
ive got a grizz draw in 7-18 but looking at the maps, the walker creek FSR only crosses the Fraser am i wrong?

Buckzilla
07-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Best reason ever to buy a jet boat!

Buckmeister
07-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Time is on your side in terms of length of draw anyways. Go figure something out, like Takla1 said, you should have the place to yourself.

mooze
07-09-2016, 10:23 PM
it was common knowledge around PG last year that that bridge was going out. There is one outfitter, 1 trapper and a commercial ski touring hut on the other side. They all knew. Sorry. LML is far away.

Husky7mm
07-10-2016, 12:00 AM
Sounds like it will be awesome in a few years!

monasheemountainman
07-10-2016, 01:06 AM
Harden up! Get the boots ready.

604Stalker
07-10-2016, 06:01 AM
Not to be a dink about it but if its still accessible by foot come hunting season that may be your option. If you need a boat you can always post on here asking for help and Im sure someone will be willing to share a ride or ferry you.

islandhunter
07-10-2016, 06:32 AM
Sounds like a blessing in disguise to me. Good luck!!

squamishhunter
07-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Find who has the removal contract. They will know exactly when the bridge is coming out.

markomoose
07-10-2016, 08:08 AM
ive got a grizz draw in 7-18 but looking at the maps, the walker creek FSR only crosses the Fraser am i wrong?
Last time I was in there that is the only vehicle access.It's rough!Make sure your tires and shocks are appropriate!It's a long walk out.

Amphibious
07-10-2016, 08:31 AM
Things to research BEFORE you put in for an LEH.

tomahawk
07-10-2016, 08:53 AM
If your road hunters your hooped but if not you've got 2 months to find a way, go with quads and make it happen. Less hunters the better so its a blessing in disguise. You can modify the quads to suit the situation like we did Bison hunting. Get at it, 2 months will pass quickly. Take all your gear and food by quad and set up camp and away you go. I'll be not far from you, deep in the bush away from truck traffic trying to get our moose out too.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09008.jpg

elknut
07-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Any idea why they are removing the bridge?..Seems dumb!...No access in case of a forest fire ...Also the guide outfitter Andy Hagberg is screwed ...Are they going to redue the bridge ?...Lots of questions to be answered here..Maybe someone from Forestry could chime in ....Dennis ...Hunted for grizz in there years ago and the area is rich in wildlife..Big bull moose ..grizzly ...black bear ...elk ..mtn goat ...

nature girl
07-10-2016, 09:34 AM
4 guys all put your money together and get a little boat that can get you across the river and go hunting. Then come back and sell the boat.

swampthing
07-10-2016, 09:53 AM
I wonder about the outfitter as well. He may like it being closed and use plane access? There is the guy with the slate mine back there too? I have spent quite a bit of time back there and never really cared for it. Its a thick jungle and the alpine is a super grunt to get to.

swampthing
07-10-2016, 09:54 AM

Yes you can still get into 718 through the walker.

Corb89
07-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Yes you can still get into 718 through the walker.
ok thank you

big game chaser
07-10-2016, 11:05 AM
I got draws up there too! Headed up on quad! I think the bridge being closed makes it way better! It was posted last summer

khoffnbud
07-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Any idea why they are removing the bridge?..Seems dumb!...No access in case of a forest fire ...Also the guide outfitter Andy Hagberg is screwed ...Are they going to redue the bridge ?...Lots of questions to be answered here..Maybe someone from Forestry could chime in ....Dennis ...Hunted for grizz in there years ago and the area is rich in wildlife..Big bull moose ..grizzly ...black bear ...elk ..mtn goat ...

im probably not alone when I say I couldn't really care if the outfitter gets screwed. Two years ago I was WAY back in there on the road then a days hike into ovington and I passed two guides with two clients on their way out with two decent goats. They beat me to the punch, no biggie there I've been beat into places before but when the two non Canadian guides mentioned I shouldn't have wasted my time coming into their area....well I'll leave it at that. I beleive the reason lots of bridges are coming out on our fsrs across the province is it removes the liability if something were to happen on a shitty old bridge

kush
07-12-2016, 08:04 PM
anyone else remember that TOP GEAR episode where they built a bridge over the river?

grizzlydown
07-20-2016, 06:43 PM

There is a bridge further down the walker that crosses the MacGregor

metalface
07-20-2016, 07:01 PM
fire up the friggin general

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/14/article-2073739-0F2A7D7900000578-174_634x419.jpg

604Stalker
07-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Rivers a bit bigger than the general usually handles ..and they took the flag off so thats like 40 less horse.. People who get access are going to be pretty happy.. For the price of 4 guys to go and the chance at a few moose it may be worth it to take buddys advice and buy a small boat.

Machinist
07-20-2016, 08:24 PM
We have quads so getting across the Bridge is not a problem , the Forestry Engineer in PG assured us that the bridge will be probably left up for another year so we are good to go

604Stalker
07-20-2016, 08:25 PM
Good to hear

killman
07-20-2016, 09:03 PM
Take the Mcgregor hang a left on the Herrick. Your in..��

swampthing
07-21-2016, 05:49 PM
im probably not alone when I say I couldn't really care if the outfitter gets screwed. Two years ago I was WAY back in there on the road then a days hike into ovington and I passed two guides with two clients on their way out with two decent goats. They beat me to the punch, no biggie there I've been beat into places before but when the two non Canadian guides mentioned I shouldn't have wasted my time coming into their area....well I'll leave it at that. I beleive the reason lots of bridges are coming out on our fsrs across the province is it removes the liability if something were to happen on a shitty old bridge

Sounds like they were a bit disrespectful to you. I came off the mountain back there in past the outfitters place on the road. I got to my atv just before dark and and pitched my little tent next to it , in the rain. A woman drove by then turned around and came back. She was one of the owners of the outfit and asked what I was doing. I explained my hunt and she told me to pack up.....and go to her outfit where she offered me a hot supper and a dry place to sleep. I politely declined. She told me the offer was there and left me to be.

swampthing
07-21-2016, 05:50 PM
My avatar pic is from that goat hunt. No goat but a great adventure.

khoffnbud
07-22-2016, 05:25 AM
Right on. Yeah I wasn't the happiest with them but it sounds like it was probably just those two by the sounds of the offer she gave you. Pretty decent actually. I went back there with a sheep and a goat tag, no luck on either as well.

markomoose
07-22-2016, 10:06 PM
Hike in have fun and ya like Swampthing sez its a grunt to the Alpine but beautiful when you finish barfing!!

MRP
07-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Can it be saved as a heritage site!

Northern British Columbia Archives, University of Northern British Columbia

http://search.nbca.unbc.ca/index.php/mcgregor-river-with-t-faulkner

heybert
07-23-2016, 10:23 AM

Non Canadian guides require a work permit. Anyone ever run into one, ask if they have the proper paperwork to work in Canada. If not, both guide and outfitter will be in trouble.

tangozulu
07-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Lots of american outfitters seem to have whole crews of family members Take their pay in our game.

J_06
07-24-2016, 12:04 AM
Non Canadian guides require a work permit. Anyone ever run into one, ask if they have the proper paperwork to work in Canada. If not, both guide and outfitter will be in trouble. Why not iist worry about yourself? I'm sure that's correct but are we the ones to be worrying about that in the field?

heybert
07-24-2016, 08:44 AM
Why not iist worry about yourself? I'm sure that's correct but are we the ones to be worrying about that in the field?

Who said anything about worrying? Sends a message to those working illegally that people know and the law will eventually catch up to them. Also gives you, the local hunter, ammo if they try and muscle you out of "their" territory.
Up to you. Don't want to do anything? Then you're just part of the problem.
Good talk……
As for 7-18 access. Good thing the bridge will last another year. Hoping to get back up there for my father's 75th birthday to hunt. Hopefully he can get a tag next year. It's been 14 years since I hunted that area.

mike31154
07-24-2016, 07:47 PM
Nice area that 7-18. Never hunted there but did some back country ski touring at Dezaiko Lodge... a number of years back now... All you need is a heli ride in/out & you're set!

https://plus.google.com/+MikeSiemens88/posts/Yuhb8uVjZEQ

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/782078483-1332997347-19229/7820/

albravo2
07-24-2016, 08:35 PM
Sounds like they were a bit disrespectful to you. I came off the mountain back there in past the outfitters place on the road. I got to my atv just before dark and and pitched my little tent next to it , in the rain. A woman drove by then turned around and came back. She was one of the owners of the outfit and asked what I was doing. I explained my hunt and she told me to pack up.....and go to her outfit where she offered me a hot supper and a dry place to sleep. I politely declined. She told me the offer was there and left me to be.

Love hearing stories like that.

Folks may not get along on paper, or on an internet forum, but I have a great deal of faith in humanity and believe kind, respectful interaction is the norm, not the exception, regardless of paper differences.