PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded perch...

wideopenthrottle
07-08-2016, 12:51 PM
http://infotel.ca/newsitem/angling-to-be-closed-on-two-central-okanagan-lakes-to-stop-spread-of-invasive-perch/it32433

where I grew up (lake of the woods Kenora) there is lots...we always called them bait stealers and would always break their neck and throw them to the seagulls and later as eagles returned in big numbers they would come take them.....after leaving there and going back to visit I questioned my reasons for not eating them and decided to cook some up.....in fact, they are delicious very light textured -excellent table fair if they are big enough to make it worth filleting

Glenny
07-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Used to catch and eat those all the time in the Ontario days. Tinfoil and butter. Awesome eating. Closing off those lakes might be a sign they are going to kill the lake and restock. Maye i dunno.

wideopenthrottle
07-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Used to catch and eat those all the time in the Ontario days. Tinfoil and butter. Awesome eating. Closing off those lakes might be a sign they are going to kill the lake and restock. Maye i dunno.
yep that is the way I see it too...wonder who stocked them...

Glenny
07-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Birds, illeagal bait? ...

scoutlt1
07-10-2016, 11:50 AM
So the theory is that if there are "invasive species" in a lake, it's best to close it to all fishing??
Not sure I understand that logic. Osoyoos Lake has Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass, Perch, Whitefish, Sunfish, Carp, Suckers . All in large numbers. And a really healthy population of Rainbows, Kokanee, and more recently Sockeye. So do Vaseux and Skaha lakes, and the Okanagan river.
I agree it should be illegal for a regular Joe/Jane to move fish from one body of water to another, but I don't agree that various species of fish can't "co-exist".

If the Ministry decides to close a lake to fishing because it has decided to "kill" it and re-stock with trout so be it....but I just wish they would say so...not just close a lake to fishing altogether.

For what it's worth, Yellow Perch are a very tasty fish. I grew up in the 70's catching loads of them (yes on Osoyoos Lake). Lots of work to fillet them (20 a day limit now, used to be 25 I think), but once that was done....batter up, cast iron pan and fried in oil....probably the best tasting fish out there!

Amphibious
07-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Wood lake, and the north end of Okanagan are full of perch. I'm seeing lots of sunfish and the odd pumpkin seed too. Im doing my part to help with invasives, of course. Went for a swim a couple days ago:

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13516558_10157153927555051_2371862518715731544_n.j pg?oh=090b7ecacd81dd6abdd4652fe84bd862&oe=57F20510

Dannybuoy
07-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Um Amphibious ... those aren't perch but good to see you getting rid of a few of those too . Swan lake has good eating size perch ... easy to catch ice fishing

ruger#1
07-10-2016, 05:54 PM
Wood lake, and the north end of Okanagan are full of them. I'm seeing lots of sunfish and the odd pumpkin seed too. Im doing my part to help with invasives, of course. Went for a swim a couple days ago:

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13516558_10157153927555051_2371862518715731544_n.j pg?oh=090b7ecacd81dd6abdd4652fe84bd862&oe=57F20510
They make good garden fertilizer.

oclarkii
07-11-2016, 07:24 AM
The bottom line is, our native species here in BC can't compete with fish like bass, perch or pike. Period. The instant your favourite trout lake gets an illegal introduction of an invasive, it is no longer a trout lake, it's a perch or bass lake. If you don't think invasives are a huge problem, not just here but worldwide, you're not paying attention. And as for the perch, we're talking top to bottom effects on the ecosystems of the individual lakes - they multiply so quickly and are so aggressive they basically clean a lake out within a few years, until all you're left with is a waterbody full of stunted perch is no good for anything.

As as for the reasoning behind closing the lakes, the Province has decided that any new introductions - invasive species found in lakes that previously didn't have them - will result in immediate closure of that lake to fishing as a way to deter the irresponsible, selfish jackasses that feel the need to move fish around in attempts to create their own fishing holes.
Poisoning lakes to start over is not an easy option anymore either. It's extremely expensive, and it must be proven that there are no other sensitive species present. Turtles or salamanders around?.... Not a chance it's getting poisoned.

Tell your friends - DO NOT MOVE FISH AROUND. It is to the detriment of all.

Glenny
07-11-2016, 07:33 AM
Beaver lake chain up by Big lake, likely. Got bass introduced to them. As a result...No bass retention. Dunno if they got rid of them i know they were pulling the bass nests out of there but for a chain of lakes like that its scary indeed.