PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic declination calculator

Brno22F
07-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Thought I would post this link again. For those of us who still use a compass, the correct declination setting for the area you are hunting/exploring can be easily found.

1 Open Google Earth on your computer
2 scroll to the area you want to hunt
3 Latitude and Longitude are displayed at the very bottom of the screen
4 enter the Lat and long numbers in the attached link

http://www.geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/calc/mdcal-en.php

noth615
07-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Thanks man, I have been looking for a way to figure this out!!

HarryToolips
07-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Thank you sir..I find it changes so little but I guess it's worth a review..

MRP
07-09-2016, 09:23 PM
-7°in the last 30 years.

Good Old Outdoors
07-10-2016, 10:30 PM
AndroiTS compass is an app for androids and it's free, it's pretty well bang on too. Apple must have one too. I'm not normally one to rely on apps or technology fir that matter but it's easy so I'll let it slide this time.

Brno22F
07-11-2016, 11:53 PM
-7°in the last 30 years.

Right you are MRP. However, someone from Vancouver (49/123) coming up to hunt the Atlin (59/133)area would want to re- set the declination on their compass. They would be out by 4 degrees. Not an issue over a short distance ( a few hundred metres) but quite significant over longer distances (think kilometres) .

AndroiTS compass is an app for androids and it's free, it's pretty well bang on too. Apple must have one too. I'm not normally one to rely on apps or technology fir that matter but it's easy so I'll let it slide this time.

The link I posted is for adjusting the declination on a magnetic compass like a Silva Ranger or Suunto.
All the new whiz bang GPS tech stuff would have declination already accounted for, I am sure. I just wont help much once the batteries die.