PDA

View Full Version : Campbell River fishing

CraigOC
07-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Hey all,

The wife and I just moved to Campbell River a few months ago and I was looking for a few decent river fishing spots. I've got waders etc. I don't fly fish so it's just casting. Most of my fishing has been done by boat so I'm looking to vary it up. What bait and tackle are guys using around here for Salmon, lake trout etc? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Pacemaker
07-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Hi Craig,
As far as fishing for salmon in the rivers go, by the end of this month both the Campbell River and it's tributary the Quinsam River will be full of fish. There is a huge run of Pink Salmon that return mainly to the Quinsam fish hatchery each year, often numbering upwards of a million or so fish. They are relatively easy to catch from the shore by simply casting a small pink coloured jig or spinner. DFO usually opens the river for retention of up to 4 Pinks after the run size has been established. It will be easy to determine the prime spots as there will be lots of other shore-based anglers out there too when the fish are in.
As for the lake trout, there aren't any. There are lots of lakes around, virtually all of them, that hold reasonably good numbers of mainly Cutthroat Trout. Fishing for them from shore can be tough though as the vegetation can be really thick around most of the lakes. Echo Lake, just a few miles West of town towards Gold River, is a stocked lake that is easily fished from shore.
Good luck at it.

CraigOC
07-07-2016, 09:35 PM
Hi Craig,
As far as fishing for salmon in the rivers go, by the end of this month both the Campbell River and it's tributary the Quinsam River will be full of fish. There is a huge run of Pink Salmon that return mainly to the Quinsam fish hatchery each year, often numbering upwards of a million or so fish. They are relatively easy to catch from the shore by simply casting a small pink coloured jig or spinner. DFO usually opens the river for retention of up to 4 Pinks after the run size has been established. It will be easy to determine the prime spots as there will be lots of other shore-based anglers out there too when the fish are in.
As for the lake trout, there aren't any. There are lots of lakes around, virtually all of them, that hold reasonably good numbers of mainly Cutthroat Trout. Fishing for them from shore can be tough though as the vegetation can be really thick around most of the lakes. Echo Lake, just a few miles West of town towards Gold River, is a stocked lake that is easily fished from shore.
Good luck at it.

Really appreciate the info, thank you very much. Drove past Echo today and it looked like a nice spot. Cheers.