PDA

View Full Version : Bison hunt

JLsteel
07-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Hey Everyone

Our group won the bison draw 7-57B Nov5-19. We want to plan this out well and have been reading a lot so far. This time of year doesn't have that much previous postings so I am trying to get a feel for the weather at this time. I know we are going to need quads or sleds or both after the gate at the airstrip. At that time how likely will there be enough snow for sleds? Anyone with any experience during this time frame, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

monasheemountainman
07-06-2016, 10:15 AM
You gonna stay at sitkanini river outfitter? They have cabins to rent for like $150 per night per person meals included. I highly recommend this route. When I had the draw I would keep in contact with them and they told me there was enough snow for sleds.

JLsteel
07-06-2016, 11:22 AM
I am contemplated staying up there. Whatever increases our chances. Anyone know the difficultly in crossing the river back there?

tomahawk
07-06-2016, 11:29 AM
There is no way to know how much snow is going to be there prior to your hunt. Ive been there on 5 Bison Hunts and its iffy right up to the day we left every year but one. If your lucky they will get a lot of snow and cold weather prior to your hunt and it stays that way through your hunt so you know to bring sleds (way better option then quads). Sleds have no limits while quads will likely be frustrating for you as likely the herds will be pushed back to the mountains and across the river by your hunt. Its great meat if you score, best of all wild game imho. There are some big solo bulls but you'll find most of the good eaters with a herd. Those big burger bulls look great but can have chewy burger just so you know in advance. Get the hide off the animal asap as it doesn't cool off very fast when its left on. Know where on the chest to shoot, the vitals are not the same as other animals.