PDA

View Full Version : LEH Goat/Mount Edziza Park

jiboo88
07-06-2016, 06:36 AM
I got my Leh for Edziza Park (mountain goat). We don't have as much time as I would like to hunt. I was wondering if any one could help pick a lake to fly into or a trail head or direction to start on.

wideopenthrottle
07-06-2016, 06:52 AM
first post asking for xxxxxxx is generally not well received...perhaps one or two explaining a little about yourself...and the customary joke with the first post would get your foot in the door a little better

Stone Sheep Steve
07-06-2016, 07:10 AM
You'll definitely need to fly in. Loooooong ways for a goat. There are much, much easier places to hunt them that don't require draws.

jiboo88
07-06-2016, 07:10 AM
I'm just a BC resident who got lucky with the LEH draw (finally). Unfortunately I do have a "limited" time frame and "limited" budget do to work constraints. Lots of limits on this one. I was looking for some help so I wouldn't bust my bank account on a wasted flight. Edziza sure seems like a massive area, with the limited amount of tags issued, pressure on any particular area must be low?

SR80
07-06-2016, 07:12 AM
Definitely no shortage of goats in the park thats for sure , didnt see any grizzlies but saw some tracks.

180grainer
07-06-2016, 07:23 AM
I got my Leh for Edziza Park (mountain goat). We don't have as much time as I would like to hunt. I was wondering if any one could help pick a lake to fly into or a trail head or direction to start on.

I flew into the Mowdadee, (spelling?). About a day hike up to where the goats are. Flight is only about 15 minutes if I recall correctly and is relatively inexpensive. That was mid 90's. Good number of goats but you'll work for them.

jiboo88
07-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Have you ever flown to Little Ball lake?

shotgunner
07-06-2016, 07:56 AM
There was a trail from Kluachon lake along the north side of the Mtns. overlooking the Klastline that put you into Goat country but not sure of your limited entry boundaries.

jiboo88
07-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Yup, I'm sure that area is not in my LEH zone.
Nuttlude Lake?

northernhunter
07-06-2016, 05:14 PM
I was in little ball about ten years ago. Some goat on south side of lake, seen some big Grizzlies and zero sheep which we were after. There is another lake people fly into above little ball that's pretty much in the alpine, not sure the name but sure the pilots will know

hickman
07-06-2016, 05:53 PM
I have been to Edziza Park and surrounding area several times in late summer. Stunning country. Not sure exactly what your goat area is but, yes, Mowdadee Lake is an option. The other option is Buckley Lake but that it a long way to hike or by horseback into goat terrain. That's more for caribou and moose. If you are on the south edge of Edziza park you can fly into Arctic or Little Ball Lake (usually pilots don't pick people up from Little Ball because of the size of the lake). Both of those lakes are south outside of the park. If you head north you'll hit Spectrum Range, Artifact Ridge etc. which is prime, I would guess for goat. But that might be too far south anyway. I saw more sheep (ridges south of Cocoa & Coffee crater), grizzly (everywhere), wolf and caribou than goats. Admittedly, I was not hunting up there at the time...
Float plane out of Telegraph Creek or Tattogga Lake are your best options. Tattogga is closer. Telegraph adds another couple of hours at least.

steel_ram
07-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Yup, I'm sure that area is not in my LEH zone.
Nuttlude Lake?

Use to be a good place to go. Haven't heard much about it for a decade, since the great helicopter chase.

jiboo88
07-06-2016, 06:58 PM
What was the great helicopter chase?

steel_ram
07-06-2016, 08:36 PM
My friends were camped at Nuttlude when it turned into a scene from Apocalypse Now. A helicopter chase, the authorities chasing down poachers who had been using a helicopter. There was something about it in the news. it was some time ago.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Telegraph only has a beaver which will cost you ~$1500. Tatogga has a pimped out 206 which should cut the costs in half.