PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting in Rifle Season

BowRunner
07-05-2016, 07:14 PM
I just read the article in the current issue of BC Outdoors called "Bowhunting in Rifle Season?"

As I read the article, I considered the recent draw that I landed - Goat in 3-32F. I am a fairly new hunter and had I not got that draw, I would be thinking of heading further north to a bow only GOS for mountain goat. Now that I have the LEH authorization, I will save some gas but will be bowhunting in rifle season. Among other things, the article suggests avoiding areas with lots of rifle hunting pressure.

Does anyone know if that zone gets lots of rifle hunting pressure? One reason I chose the area...was that it is largely closed to motor vehicles but I don't know how popular it is beyond that.

Lozzie
07-05-2016, 09:08 PM
In my experience as a bow hunter and rifle hunter 95% of the time it won't be an issue. Where it does become an issue is in areas that have easy access and high concentrations of hunting pressure. For example I avoid areas in Shawnigan Lake area where I have seen up to 40 vehicles parked at locked gates in rifle season. Don't know what possesses people to hunt in such close proximity to each other but to each his own. If you can hunt mid week then do it, as there is typically less pressure but in an area that holds goats you're probably not going to be dealing with shoot at shadows type of hunters anyways. For a new hunter bow hunting goat, I have to say good luck that seems a very challenging endeavour.

monasheemountainman
07-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Not many goat areas have "lots of pressure" there might be vehicle access near it but you still gonna hike your nuts off to get one

BowRunner
07-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the comments. I don't mind hiking - so that should be a filter.

I suppose if I am really concerned when I get there, I can wear a blaze orange cap.

boxhitch
07-06-2016, 08:12 AM
I don't get BC outdoors, can I ask who penned the article ?
The comment about 'pressure' may not be referring to the activity of the day , but to genereal human activity.
Goats that have been hunted or pushed by hikers and climbers react differently
They all react to danger or predators , but some just stand and walk around the corner while others climb to the top

Itsa a good idea to spend a day and pattern movement before planning an attack, an ambush in a feeding area may be easier than climbing chasing to the crags

wideopenthrottle
07-06-2016, 08:41 AM
I have only hunted goats myself one time but as a group we used two techniques...spot and stock (glassing then figure out a way up to them, and the other way "the lets go find and shoot one of them f***ers"...this consisted of heading up the downwind side of the mountain....we went up until we had crossed several goat trails....we then stopped on the goat trail that was too scary to take and went down one to the one that was still scary but with good boots and zero ...I repeat u will need zero fear of heights..it was doable...when we had gotten around the mountain almost half way (we got into snow and spotted fresh tracks). we had started on the south facing slope where there was no snow and worked our way around to the snowy part of the trail before spotting a group of them at about 400yds.. two shots later we watched it as he tumbled down the mountain...I was surprised how awesome meat from a goat is...

this was in an area with GOS for elk and a guide outfitter within 3 or 4 km

nicktrehearne
07-06-2016, 10:59 AM
I don't get BC outdoors, can I ask who penned the article ?

Sure can - me! haha

Open to discussion on anything.

As for your goat hunt, there is not really many areas you'll have to worry about what I was referring to in the article. I was discussing hunting in pressured areas like around Urban centers or in certain areas in the Peace country - not way up in the backcountry chasing goats. Good choice on choosing an area closed to motorized vehicles too - that deters a lot of people.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to discuss anything :)

BowRunner
07-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it should be a good hunt then.

BTW. Nice photography on your site.

Ry151
07-06-2016, 11:09 PM
Sure can - me! haha

Open to discussion on anything.

As for your goat hunt, there is not really many areas you'll have to worry about what I was referring to in the article. I was discussing hunting in pressured areas like around Urban centers or in certain areas in the Peace country - not way up in the backcountry chasing goats. Good choice on choosing an area closed to motorized vehicles too - that deters a lot of people.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to discuss anything :)
The peace country is insane to hunt. There s so much traffic there between quads, sxs and industry. There are a lot of animals but I found Getting as far off the roads as possible on foot my only chance. But yet many people are still successful road hunting. Mid week hunting is my preferred time and barely go out on weekends inless I'm on a week or more trip