PDA

View Full Version : dore river goat info

lightmag
07-03-2016, 09:04 PM
got drawn for goat and grizzly for dore river :) , ive had a draw here before but didn't do enough scouting and didn't realize how rugged it was. I just came back from a weekend of scouting already and plan to go 2 or 3 times more hiking into Kristi glacier, eagle valley glacier and ozalenka to get more insight . I really want to put as much time and effort into this as its my dream to take a goat and have struck out to this point for numerous reasons , from no one to go with, not enough research into area, was a rookie and messed up year sago... so I really want to make this the year!! so if anyone has hunted goat sin dore river McBride area and has pointers, I would appreciate beyond words any help/info.

thx everyone
lightmag

Husky7mm
07-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Saw lots of goats in that area , spring and fall. Just have to go there and hunt. There are a lot if places to hide up in those rugged rocks. Thats why the tag is easy to draw. Everyone wants a goat but no one wants to climb the mountain. Scout, scout and scout some more. Good luck!

lightmag
07-03-2016, 09:17 PM
Saw lots of goats in that area , spring and fall. Just have to go there and hunt. There are a lot if places to hide up in those rugged rocks. Thats why the tag is easy to draw. Everyone wants a goat but no one wants to climb the mountain. Scout, scout and scout some more. Good luck!

oh im not afraid to work, climb, crawl ...... how are you seeing them?? I was just in there for 2 days glassing (good 10x42 bino's) and saw none.. im told they are hiding, highter, in the back having babies now???? any truth or is only way to see them with a spotting scope?? ive been told you can spot them with naked eye at times an should hav eno problem with my binos??

lightmag
07-03-2016, 09:18 PM
if I find goats in a drainage/area now... will they be in that general area in aerly sept?? or do they move lots ??

thx in advance

Husky7mm
07-03-2016, 09:37 PM
I would go for my hunt in October. If you live in PG you are close. Go multiple times. I have seen goats in the spring that are there in the fall in the same spots. The feed determines that. The snow line will push then down and their coats will be prime as the season rolls on.
My experience in those rocks is that they are here today, and not seen tomorrow. That does not mean they are still not close. Sometimes you just have to pound the area amd glass and glass and glass. Climb up on lucille and look back over. Also look north of the door.
Best part of all hunts is not knowing whats around the next bend. Repetition is key.

goatdancer
07-03-2016, 09:54 PM
I got my goat there the last year of GOS. It was in October. We drove in to the end of the road ( thru the 'forestry culverts' to the last landing and then walked a couple of km up the river. Saw a bunch of nannies and kids and a few billies. They were all on the other side of the river so you'll have to find a decent place to cross. Find them and watch where they go to bed down. Then be there early the next morning to pick them off as they come back to their feed and rest area. It's rugged country so be ready for a real grunt. I spotted mine late afternoon so we decided to wait till the next morning. It snowed that night so the hunt was a challenge, to say the least. It's steep and rocky, no trails, so be prepared for an adventure. Good luck.

Mountain Man
07-03-2016, 10:17 PM
for info pm sent

warnniklz
07-03-2016, 10:50 PM
I was scouting up there last August long. Keep an eye out for some vortex talon 10x42 binos

noth615
07-04-2016, 07:16 AM
Was on a hunt where a guy took a nice billy walking the eagle valley glacier trail, spot lots well your walking those trails you suggested, the caribou mountains are really rugged I wouldn't suggest climbing up off the valley floor unless you spot a goat from the road first!

lightmag
07-07-2016, 08:13 PM
thank for all the info :)