PDA

View Full Version : Bison draw December

Islandeer
07-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Well we got drawn for this one,starting the research. Lots of great past info,welcome any recent intel. Ranches,contacts,sled rentals,etc.

thanks!!

recoil
07-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Which zone? I got drawn for B again this year Nov 20.

Islandeer
07-02-2016, 05:55 PM
its dec 6th to the 20th 7-57 and a portion of 7-42

recoil
07-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Although most of this is common knowledge, here is what I found out: there is an outfitter ranch for rent at $150 per night per person, I believe dinner and lunch is included, there is also a motel on the highway that is significantly less but is an extra hour travel round trip each day to the hunting grounds. We spoke to some guys from the island last time that stayed at the ranch and they mentioned the owners and guide are very tight lipped about where the bison are at despite the fact that they were paying $600 per night in total to stay there. They only hunted2 days anyways due to extreme cold and did not get a bison.

There are many camping areas if you are brave. Getting gas is sketchy I will be bringing my toolbox tank and then a few extra Gerry cans on top of that. There is a Russian guy in Langley that rents sleds we used last time, his prices weren't terrible and machines were mostly late model (3 years old or newer). Be prepared for temps from -10 to -30.

squamishhunter
07-03-2016, 05:55 AM
Its forecasted for us to get lots of snow up here as well, just a fyi

Islandeer
07-07-2016, 07:35 PM
Thanks, any other options on lodging other than the the 150 per person per night.

So for our dates sleds are a must, can you go any where with them?

Thanks

Rhyno
07-08-2016, 07:01 AM
Thanks, any other options on lodging other than the the 150 per person per night.

Thanks

Big Boar is the man to talk to about zone B. I will look to see still have the info but there is a place in FSJ that rents sleds, if I remember correctly it was $750ish a week.

I would really consider coughing up the dough to stay at Sikinni Ranch, not only does it include meals but I believe it gives you access to an area that you otherwise wouldn't have. Google earth all of the lakes and meadows and WALK into them glassing the edges.

tomahawk
07-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Thanks

So here's a little of what I know from being on 5 Bull Bison trips to area B in Dec.

Sleds are not a guarantee at all. You need to have access to sleds and quads and unless they get several feet of snow that stays on the ground prior to your hunt, you'll need to check in the last few days before you leave as to whether there is enough snow on the ground so you don't destroy skimmers and sleds as many guys including us have done.

In 5 Dec Bison hunts we have used sleds 3 times and quads twice.

We never stayed at Mikes place (cabins), we always brought our tent and own food, way cheaper then $450 or $600 per night for 3 or 4 guys. But were self sufficient and always set up our own lodging on every hunt in BC. Average cost for our Bison trips is about $500 for all inclusive for 7 to 10 days hunting per guy, including fuel and the works. Mike doesn't have anywhere you can hunt (other then his private property) that's not accessible to everyone else up there. He is on the river and its easier to cross where his house is but there is also crossings to the east close by his place and west further up the trail. There is a lick on the other side of the river in the bush where we took our first bull.

The bison are going to be pressured and moved off there preferred area's most likely in the valley. You most likely will need to find tracks, but there sometimes not there as Ive been there when there was no bison in the river valley, so be prepared to cross the river and head to the back country if you have sleds. Mike has a plane that he uses to find the herds when he has clients coming in, but its his bread and butter so doesn't share too much info.

If you need any other info PM me