PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 - Fly in Goat Solo

Chopper333
07-02-2016, 11:24 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any info on a fly in by float plane into Region 1 or 2 for goat. I am leaning toward Region 2...I can get about a 5 day hunt in and rather fly than spend 2 days in a truck and ferry (located in Victoria). Does anyone know what lakes are good to fly in and use as a base camp? I plan on going solo, so nothing TOO extreme to hunt. Also, this would be my first goat hunt so any info would be great besides the usual that I can find on the interweb.

Region 1
Any feedback here would be helpful. I don't see many lakes to fly into.

Region2
I was looking at Goat Island. Its in the name...lol. Emma Lake? Barkshack Lake?

PS Please don't tell me to go to another region for goat. This is just an idea that I am exploring that might be a fun hunt for just a little more money than going by truck somewhere.

Thx

charlie_horse
07-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Clendenning lake, lake lovely water could be good choices.

jimh
07-02-2016, 03:43 PM
I believe goat island is closed to goat hunting. Emma lake has a hikers cabin but I don't know what the goat numbers are like right around it. But it's a starting point. I know it's popular with hikers.

souwester
07-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Only a couple guys in Campbell river I would consider using for flight,you will end up having to pay for a turbo beaver which probably be around 2500 bucks once the smoke clears.
They will also be "picky" on timeframe of trip.Dont like leaving people over there past the first part of October.
Populations are better in region 2 than region 1.
Be prepared to sit in the fog for days,Be prepared for bears.
Buy a sat phone.
Please don't go alone.

Beautiful but extremely unforgiving country.
If you get real serious I can give u a pilots name. Good Luck.

Corb89
07-02-2016, 05:19 PM
"nothing TOO extreme" and goat hunting dont go together

Ohwildwon
07-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Ahh, can you say, Helicopter...:wink:

Amphibious
07-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Clendenning lake, lake lovely water could be good choices.

Would not waste my time with lovely water. Spent a year flying people into the hut, saw one Nanny the entire time.

Ahh, can you say, Helicopter...:wink:

Illegal.

prconnection
07-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Goat island is definitely closed for goat hunting........ There are goats up the side of the Eldred valley accessed from goat lake. They tend to be on the opposite side of the lake from the main road. Quite easy to spot from the goat main logging Rd view point. Getting to them would be a whole other challenge. Possible accessed from the piste side of the mountain through the Powell lake side. You would definitely need to know the area in order to be successful.

Brew
07-05-2016, 07:38 AM
Not sure about goats there but phantom lake looks good and I know you can fly into it. Kinda wanted to try it out but haven't got a chance. Good luck

Andrewh
07-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Search around on clubtread.com and find out where the hikers are seeing goats...

Those hikers love to show off pics of animals they see in very specific areas;)

b.c hunter 88
07-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Powell river area Emma lake i have hear of some goats i hunted alpha betta gamma the back of betta is the best also walt lake ridge has been promising how ever you have to be careful in that valley there is a closed area. give me a call ill give you some directions to what i know. my number is 6044149502

Kevin

Chopper333
07-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone. I will definitely be getting in touch with a few of you. I think I may be doing some scouting in the next few weeks.

Cheers!

MattW
07-10-2016, 02:58 PM
If you find a likely looking lake you can check this document on pg 23, 24, and 25 to see if float ops are allowed on it before you get too far into your planning. Some of the lakes in the parks prohibit float ops and some require a special permit, the deadline for those permits has passed for this year I believe. Other lakes in the parks are open.
http://www.quickscribe.bc.ca/secure/archives/2927.pdf
I'd encourage you to rethink the solo aspect of your hunt being that you've said this is your first goat hunt. Goat hunts can get pretty rugged, very easy to get yourself into trouble on a goat hunt. Always remember, you can climb up things that you can't climb down.

Marcos
04-30-2017, 01:02 AM
you can climb up things that you can't climb down.

MattW Awsome advice to take in consideration. how many times happen this things

BCHunterTV
04-30-2017, 02:25 PM
open area for goats

http://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/42297-one-does-not-simply.html

walks with deer
05-01-2017, 08:26 PM
You must be quite young. I went region 2 solo when I was 19 shot a goat and hobbled out on a broken leg for 12hrs...almost fell in a crevases.
Say no to solo goat please.

AgSilver
05-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Or, at the very least, take an inReach, a Spot, and a Sat phone.

clutch
05-01-2017, 09:01 PM
I've flown into phantom lake and hiked to the west up to a smaller unnamed lake. did not see a goat. Three day hunt. Saw some old sign. Few deer tracks. Beautiful country though.