PDA

View Full Version : dumb arse

tooty
06-14-2007, 05:24 PM
In all the excitement I pushed the 7 instead of the 3 .Region 3-40 is where we are going if we get the draw for cow moose.We always hunted in 7 around the George area and done well,but I hate a crowd so we are doing something different.God I think I'm to old to change,but the wife says change is good.But not the neighbors wife kind of change.Oh I said.. gotcha.So any helpful hints on where might be a place to start would be great.Fishing as well.I was thinking maybe McCorvie Lake area or up the Raft river east fsr.Or maybe Martin creek fsr,I see on the maps some swamps.

SUAFOYT
06-14-2007, 06:59 PM
That's a Nov hunt. Fishing is best in TFL 18, but that's in 3-39. Lots of traffic- logging as well as hunting. Very limited fishing on west side of the Raft River. Vey few side roads. At that elevation and time of year you could run into Vancouver snow and some chilly temps. McCorvie is pounded hard by the out of town muley hunters.

Jelvis
06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
tooty, If you get the draw you should be able to score on a moose in the area 3:40, it is a good moose area, plus pretty good mule deer and major black bear. Access mainly by Raft River logging roads just passed Clearwater go left (north) or keep going on hwy 5 to Avola, just passed Avola a couple k or so turn left ( west) into the Mad River. Check your BC Recreational Atlas for the roads and you will do fine. I'm not sure about fishing but Raft River has fish, check regs. Good luck in the draw tooty, Jel

dana
06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Jelvis,
Maybe you should look at a rec atlas before you post up. What kind of info is that man? Avola is quite a ways past the Mad. :roll:

tooty,
3-40 can be good and it can be bad. All depends on the weather. If there is no snow, it sucks. Sometimes even with snow it can suck. I have a buddy that had the Nov bull draw for that unit last year. He never saw a moose and he really pounded the ground week after week. The draw back of the cow/calf draw is you've only got 10 days. Alot of moose hit the timber post rut. Best bet is if you have snow, to drive looking for fresh tracks, then get out and start trackin. The Mad, Berry and Avola Mtn areas would be where I would start. Raft, Avola Mtn, Berry and the Mad all hook up but the pass can sometimes be difficult without chains.
As for fishing, that time of year isn't ideal. Silence Lake is about the only one I can think of. You don't want to spend any time up McCorvies. Like SUAFOYT said, it gets pounded by out-of-towners.

Jelvis
06-14-2007, 08:53 PM
If you go in from Avola you hit the Mad and go down check your maps I know a guy who goes in that way he says it is good area, Just stating a fact, not arguing with the local pro, it's another area that has a fork in the road down the Mad sothwest or go northwest. Page 27 in my older Atlas. Jel

dana
06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Jelvis,
Like I said, they all connect up. Your directions are still messed up. Avola Mtn road is not the Mad. It's the Avola Mtn road. Easiest way to go up the Mad is to turn Left on Martin about 10 minutes past Vavenby at the Hole In the Wall Cafe. Drive up Martin for a km and turn right on Mad. Off the top of my head the Mad connects up to Avola Mtn at 28 km (?) There is a little lake at the junction with a rec site. I have heard that the fishing in that lake can be okay. Can't remember the lake's name.

butcher
06-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Dennis Lake.

Jelvis
06-14-2007, 10:32 PM
You locals rule , no doubt, I just talk about the river, Mad River, I don't know the names of all the roads there, but I knew if you go into there by Avola you get to the area of the upper part of the river system called Mad, thats all. One guy I know in Kammy goes there all the time with guys from Clearwater. They go in at Avola instead of going in the dirt road that your talkin about lower down, they go up the hwy 5 at Avola and cut in there, no big deal theres moose in them thar hills and swamps no matter what you call it. As long as your in 3:40 your leh is good. Thanx for good local info. Call me anything you want just don't call me late for the chow line. Jelly Bean

tooty
06-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the info,the maps are spead out all over the hunting room.I have lots of maps of the area back from my 100 mile days...badda bing.

Elkhound
06-15-2007, 11:55 AM
You are still a dumb arse:tongue:

Neighbour's wife change? Too funny Mike. Besides......Your wife is hot....no need to go else where:wink:

Why if I wasn't married...........:mrgreen:

bsa30-06
06-15-2007, 12:06 PM
You are still a dumb arse:tongue:

Neighbour's wife change? Too funny Mike. Besides......Your wife is hot....no need to go else where:wink:

Why if I wasn't married...........:mrgreen:

Good thing you stopped wereyou did Dave.........Nothing like the wrath of a pregnant lady.:-D