PDA

View Full Version : gun rust problem

scotty30-06
06-30-2016, 12:28 AM
Hey guys....been having trouble with rust on my barrel...its like the second water touches it the rust starts....im using Rem oil and dosnt seem to keep the rust from showing up....is there any trick to stop it (aside from toweling it every time it's wet) ....went on hike and slept under stars and just from the dew it was showing rust spot by morning....any tips would appreciated

BgBlkDg
06-30-2016, 01:49 AM
A couple of coats of good car wax thoroughly wiped and dried might help. Eezeox, rust preventative also works well on my guns, Reliable Gun, is one source for this.

scotty30-06
06-30-2016, 02:08 AM
OK great thanks....will give that a try

Wentrot
06-30-2016, 05:19 AM
Where do you store em? Mine are in a basement and that has been my main rust issue.

Ferenc
06-30-2016, 06:05 AM
Check under the barrel for any rust also if your having issues.... Factory blueing ??

wos
06-30-2016, 07:15 AM
I have never used rem oil so I can't speak for it but wouldn't think that's your issue. A properly oiled gun should easly be able to withstand the elements of a hunt for a week or longer without great amount of attention. If it's rusting that fast it's probably picking up a contaminant like salt from your hands or cleaning rag. citrus acids also are hard on steel. Not saying that this is what's happening but it's something to look at.

Weatherby Fan
06-30-2016, 07:35 AM
G96 gun spray always worked for me with blued rifles.

blacksn95
06-30-2016, 07:39 AM
Frog lube works very well for issues like that...

russm86
06-30-2016, 07:45 AM
If it's a newer matte finished Remington then good luck, the few I have had, you look at them wrong and they will basically rust before your eyes. I no longer own any Remingtons. Otherwise I use Hornady One Shot cleaner/lube/protectant. I've read a few comparison studies, mostly done by your average joe/target shooter with no affiliations to any companies or gun rags, of different products and the Hornady One Shot and Frog Lube were both in the top 3 of every one.

boxhitch
06-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Problems have been noted with the CLP 3-in-one type products
Best to use a proper cleaner then treat the cleaned surface with a protectant/ lube.

swampthing
06-30-2016, 08:43 AM
Try the wax and change oils as well. I traded a rifle online last year and oiled it up before packing it. The buyer received the Canada post box and it was wet. He pulled a rusty rifle out of the box. I used a brand new oil made by royal purple. Threw that in the garbage, sent the buyer a cheque for his rifle and had him ship me mine back collect. Felt like a real ass. The rust wiped right off but that gun oil was the problem.

goatdancer
06-30-2016, 09:10 AM
G96 gun spray always worked for me with blued rifles.

X2. The stuff really works well.

Sharpish
06-30-2016, 10:03 AM
g96 leaves a weird, slick, magnetic feeling residue. But dry to the touch. Works amazing

wos
06-30-2016, 11:33 AM
G96 is my go to as well. And it has a wonderful smell

scotty30-06
06-30-2016, 12:02 PM
It's stored in a gun safe in dry place....its a rem 770....gonna try some of the oils that suggested here....just soooo annoying dealing with it....like it was said...I look at it and it rusts....was thinking of switching to stainless steel....is that the better option?

604Stalker
06-30-2016, 12:41 PM
Go g96 go. Old lady dosent complain about the smell when I clean anymore .. But the g96 ans boresnake have almost taken the fun out of cleaning

russm86
06-30-2016, 12:44 PM
It's stored in a gun safe in dry place....its a rem 770....gonna try some of the oils that suggested here....just soooo annoying dealing with it....like it was said...I look at it and it rusts....was thinking of switching to stainless steel....is that the better option?

Stainless steel and not a Remington, lol.

Downtown
06-30-2016, 12:57 PM
After trying many fancy Gunstore Oils we eventually found and (used for the past 30+years) regular Engine Oil (10/40) keeps the rust off our guns even after days of relentless rain. Worst off all seems to be W40 which acts like Diesel and in fact attracts Moisture.

Ballistol can be good on Steel and Wood surfaces but the wachs content can eventually lead to a problem particularly in small springs like many ejector claws have. Take them out and clean at least every other year. If you dont know how then better to leave it to a competent gunsmith as these springs and plungers are hard to find a replacement but easy to loose during disasembly/reasembly, definitely not something you want to do in a hunting Camp.

scotty30-06
06-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Yea I was thinking stainless....and named the dog after it and wife loves shooting it....so guns gotta stay lol

RiverOtter
06-30-2016, 02:10 PM
If it were me I'd go a different direction. Pop it outta the stock, scrub it with acetone to strip any/all oil outta the steel, then lightly sand, prime and paint matte black or another color of your choice. Another option is Cerekote if you want a permanent fix, but that might be a bit expensive for a 770.

scotty30-06
06-30-2016, 02:16 PM
OK awesome....atleast now I have some avenues to go down instead of just shaking my head

Squamch
06-30-2016, 02:29 PM
I have used both royal purple and g96 on my guns with no issues. When I have a new matte finish gun, I oil it a LOT. And I don't wipe the excess off until the next day, right before oiling it heavily again. Several treatments like that and I haven't had any rust issues.

A friend of mine dos have a new 870 express and he refers to it as a rustington 870. I've told him to oil the hell out of it, but...leading a horse to water, etc.

RiverOtter
06-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Should add here, oiling is great and get as crazy as you want on exterior metal. When it comes to actions and anything internal though, use sparingly and clan up excess as it WILL collect dirt and grime which will lead to more serious issues.....

Weatherby Fan
06-30-2016, 03:20 PM
g96 leaves a weird, slick, magnetic feeling residue. But dry to the touch. Works amazing

G96
Cleans Your Gun: Contains solvents which will completely remove all traces of rust, gun powder, leading, and corrosion in seconds.

Lubricates Your Gun: Contains lubricants which will not freeze, oxidize, or evaporate (the result of missile research). Leaves no gummy residue. Keeps firing pin and all moving parts working as low as -50F below zero; insures perfect firing every time.

Protects Your Gun: Leaves invisible magnetic film over all metal parts which protects your gun against rust under all weather conditions, even salt water spray. Protects frequently handled guns against “fingerprint” damage. This is the single and best gun care maintenance product ever designed to solve a gun owner’s cleaning, lubricating and corrosion protection problems. A unique formulation of active lubricants will not freeze, oxidize or evaporate. Designed with a pleasant odor, this gun treatment is assured perfect firing from 50 F below zero to 350 F.

Safe for use on polymers.

RiverOtter
06-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Sounds almost as good as Kroil, ALMOST......:-P

hardnocks
06-30-2016, 06:40 PM
or send it to me and i will hot blue ithttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5862&stc=1 thats my 35 year old remington.

BgBlkDg
06-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Kroil, is outstanding, I use it, Ballistol, RustGuardit, Butch's Boreshine and Eezeox, now and these are the best I have found since 1964, when we used Naptha to clean our Lee-Enfields and Cooeys.

RiverOtter
06-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Kroil also works great inside a barrel, many rust inhibitors don't, as they have teflon and other additives that can build up on the steel surface.

kevan
06-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Kroil also works great inside a barrel, many rust inhibitors don't, as they have teflon and other additives that can build up on the steel surface.

I'm down to my last half-can of Kroil, do you know who sells it these days ?
The can I'm using came from a vendors table at the Kamloops Gun Show and he was from Alberta.

REMINGTON JIM
06-30-2016, 08:39 PM
The can I'm using came from a vendors table at the Kamloops Gun Show and he was from Alberta.

I do Kevan :wink: RJ

RiverOtter
06-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Got my last can at Grouse River, in their old location.

northof49
07-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Hola....gonna git me some!! Sounds better than a ginsu

Elkaddict
07-01-2016, 06:45 PM

Got my last can at Reliable.

Lozzie
07-01-2016, 07:28 PM
If you're gun is rusting while stored you can get humidity elimination products at places like canadian tire for your gun locker, also buying a rifle sock wouldn't be a bad idea. I have one that came with my Savage 114 and seems to work great to wick moisture away, I take it with me on all my hunts, so far so good.

Frango
07-01-2016, 10:58 PM
With any future gun purchase perhaps Stainless/Synthetic would be a better option. Dealing with rust and scratched wood should be a thing of the past. Old guns need work. To some it is an enjoyable job others have better things to do. Some believe in tradition some don't. Some like it easy some don't. Life is full of options. Some options are better.