PDA

View Full Version : Froglegs anhyone??

bogie
06-29-2016, 11:43 AM
The lower mainland has been infested with bullfrogs that are not a native species and I would like to know it anybody knows of a good spot to harvest some. I have not had a good feed of froglegs since I was a teen and would like to find a source. As well that might play a small part in reducing the population. No, they dont taste like chicken:)
I have all the gear I need to get into swampy areas that they habituate plus I am retired so I have some time....

wideopenthrottle
06-29-2016, 11:52 AM
how do they get around without their legs..little wheel chairs or maybe mini sea-doos?:wink:

caddisguy
06-29-2016, 12:10 PM
I have always wanted to find a place in the fraser valley that holds bull frogs and is not polluted by by city drainage or farm run-off. Tough to come by though I would imagine.

adriaticum
06-29-2016, 12:13 PM
I don't know if infested is the right word.
I've only even heard them in the Semiahmoo F&G pond.
But I would love to get me some frog legs too.

gmachine19
06-29-2016, 12:49 PM
Whonnock lake has bullfrogs! Nice warm lake too. What are the legalities of harvesting them? I want some legs too.

wideopenthrottle
06-29-2016, 12:55 PM
You do not need a hunting licence to
capture, hunt or kill the following Schedule
C wildlife: American bullfrog, green frog,
snapping turtles, North American opossum,
eastern cottontail, European rabbit, nutria,
gray squirrels, fox squirrels, house sparrow,
European starling, and rock dove (domestic
pigeon).

in the reg synopsis

pg 14 left column in the middle....

warnniklz
06-29-2016, 12:56 PM
For some reason I have a vague memory of catching them on Gabriola when I was little.

Weatherby Fan
06-29-2016, 12:59 PM
I remember back about 35 years ago there were these two young fellers that used to drive around Pitt Polder shooting frogs with pellet guns as in the evening they would come out onto the road that was warm from daytime sun !!!

I can't remember there names but they had a riot !

Island Idiots
06-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Ate them all the time when I was younger. Walked the edge of lakes in the evening with a wood box with screened sides and rubber flaps for a top. Catch a frog, stick your hand in the box and release, carry on.
Had a special tool for skinning the legs and removing them from the body all in one pass.
Ate bucket loads, cause that's all there was for supper, Lol.

Mulehahn
06-29-2016, 01:08 PM
There are quite a few in langley. Both brookswood pond and brydon lagoon have populations. Easy access, though unsure of legalities with the township.

panhead
06-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Try the foot of Quebec street ...

wideopenthrottle
06-29-2016, 01:21 PM
I must have read through the regs cover to cover at least 30 times but I still find new stuff every time it seems...after I copied the blurb about schedule "C" animals I had to look up what a nutria is...it is a south American rodent with a body size closer to a beaver but a short round tail

http://skagitnutria.com/userfiles/image/BeaverNutriaGroundhogMuskrat.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVkt-gh87NAhUK2GMKHdIpBTwQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fskagitnutria.com%2Fwhat-is-nutria.cfm&psig=AFQjCNFNjfVQVyKTN3CtwV3nkquhp4WKmw&ust=1467317889472342)

l to r: beaver, nutria, ground hog, muskrat

widger
06-29-2016, 02:02 PM
I actually called the provincial government around this point back in 2007 as I lived in Steveston and found a few honey holes that I was going to harvest. I was advised I could take as many as I could carry and then some, but do not transport live and then release as that will be big trouble. I never did purchase a gig pole or one of those helmets with a spot light mounted on it but I would surely have cleaned up had I.

The spots I found that held large populations of bull frogs were at the end of No. 4 Rd in Richmond at Dyke Road at Finn Slough. This is the south end of No. 4 Road. If you walk towards the Crown Packaging plant at the end of Garden City Road along the rail bed or even the trail there are ditches that are loaded with frogs, at least 8 years ago they were. You can also walk east along the rail bed where the rail line crosses No. 4 Road towards Shell Road and eventually the BC Ferries yard in Richmond. Another spot was just near my old house and that is along the dyke at the western terminus of Steveston Highway. There is a large ditch on the landward side of the dyke that is absolutely full of bullfrogs. They like the grass edges and in the early evening they were all over that place. Good luck and I was advised by the lady at the Ministry of Environment to kill as many as I could.

Xenomorph
06-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Get together, fire pit, a few gallons of wine - for cooking as well - and we have a party.

When and where?

wideopenthrottle
06-29-2016, 03:00 PM
Try the foot of Quebec street ...

pardonnez-moi...heheheheh

newfie bullet
06-29-2016, 04:00 PM
I couldn't name a specific place but in my experience you'd have a harder time finding a place without them. Don't mean to hijack but you remind me of younger days back in NFLD when me and the brudder's would use a red devil and pole,just cast down the gully and they'd go mad for it. My middle brudder claims he also had success with the fuzzy part of velcro,a weight and fishing pole but thats his claim. Keep us updated because I think it would be great fun.

BRvalley
06-29-2016, 04:27 PM
after you find them....about 6' of mono tied to a bamboo pole (or fishing rod if you prefer) with small piece of red yarn tied on a barbless jighead, hover it a couple feet above them, works like a charm

06-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Any recipes??

MichelD
06-29-2016, 05:25 PM
There's quite a few in sloughs and ponds along the Alouette. I just got back from there an hour ago. Heard a lot but never saw a one.

Dannybuoy
06-29-2016, 05:32 PM
after you find them....about 6' of mono tied to a bamboo pole (or fishing rod if you prefer) with small piece of red yarn tied on a barbless jighead, hover it a couple feet above them, works like a charm

This method used to work very well in Mill Lake Abbotsford .... We used to catch lots of big frogs as kids .... I can remember measuring frogs over 20 inches . Not sure about the pollution levels as this was almost 50 years ago

Dannybuoy
06-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Oh and YES they do taste like chicken ...

caddisguy
06-29-2016, 05:33 PM
There's quite a few in sloughs and ponds along the Alouette. I just got back from there an hour ago. Heard a lot but never saw a one.

Hmm are they definitely bull frogs though? I know of a lot of places infested with frogs chirping all evening and throughout the night, but I haven't been able to find any bull frogs... only seen a few bullfrogs in my lifetime :(

Gotta be careful since other frogs are protected.

scoutlt1
06-29-2016, 06:06 PM
American Bullfrogs.....invasive species and kill as many as you can I say. They are nasty buggers that kill ducklings and other things that many of us like.

Just because you're awake at night from all kinds "noise" though, or think you're hearing a bunch of "bullfrogs"....the bullfrog may not be the culprit.

Pacific Chorus Frogs are very abundant in the LM, and make a ton of noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFojjllBFOk

ruger#1
06-29-2016, 06:14 PM
Oh and YES they do taste like chicken ... Mill lake used to be feed from Seven Oaks and the Ice rink and other catch basins around the lake. My father was the sewer foreman for the District of Abbotsford. Before that he worked for water works Matsqui.

MichelD
06-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Hmm are they definitely bull frogs though? I know of a lot of places infested with frogs chirping all evening and throughout the night, but I haven't been able to find any bull frogs... only seen a few bullfrogs in my lifetime :(

Gotta be careful since other frogs are protected.

Yes I clearly know the diff between the sound of a bullfrog and the pacific chorus frog.

Dannybuoy
06-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Mill lake used to be feed from Seven Oaks and the Ice rink and other catch basins around the lake. My father was the sewer foreman for the District of Abbotsford. Before that he worked for water works Matsqui.

We used to play in the fields that became the seven oaks mall and I think they built the arena when I was in jr high ... the sewer lines were installed several years prior to the mall so the lake was great for trout , catfish and bull frogs . ( crappies were also plentiful )

ruger#1
06-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Seven Oaks mall used to be a go cart track. West oaks used to be a gully. Those were the good ole days.

warnniklz
06-29-2016, 08:16 PM
I wish frogs were richer in flavour. Expected more of a scallop texture I guess. I still like them

adriaticum
06-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Any recipes??

Check out any episode of any season of Duck Dynasty. They eat them every day it seems.

mpotzold
06-29-2016, 09:38 PM
Stayed at Pine Pass Lodge surveying in the mid 60's. The Austrian chef made memorable meals & one was bull frog legs that were breaded with plenty of garlic thrown in. They tasted great sort of like sole & chicken mix-moist & very tender. :D
http://cdn.louisianatravel.com/sites/default/master/files/styles/article_slideshow_full/public/frog-legs-skillet-louisianakitchenculture.jpg?itok=RuducWni

mpotzold
06-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Check out any episode of any season of Duck Dynasty. They eat them every day it seems.

http://www.louisianatravel.com/culinary/recipes/garlic-frog-legs-recipe-willie-robertson

Bag1
07-01-2016, 11:01 AM
I use to see lots of giant bullfrogs in the evenings around 232&16th, I heard there use to be a frog farm of sorts in the area that was abandoned and there were lots of escapees

panhead
07-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Nothing wrong with frogs leg's ... they're good. Had my last set down in a Cantina in Mexico. Still remember a piece on the evening news years ago when TNT Market first opened up. A reporter was at the "meat" counter and you could hear them croaking away. He bought one and the salesperson asked if he wanted it "cleaned." He answered "yes" and it was grabbed by it's back legs and held on the chopping block. WHACK - and the front end was clawing itself along the block. Think that was the end of live frogs ...

Xenomorph
08-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Think that was the end of live frogs ...

Because it makes it so much more palatable to their "moral" compass if they don't see it. Instead of having fresh stuff, not contaminated and nutrient rich. Makes one wonder.

Edzzed
08-19-2016, 12:19 PM
this is Dominic lake which is close to Paska and Face lake. There were literally millions of them all along the beach. When we pulled up I first thought it was an oil spill and then realized what I was looking at then told my wife not to move or she'd step on frogs. They were less than an inch long and all over the place. https://youtu.be/30kAgkuaJfw

scotty30-06
08-19-2016, 01:06 PM
My rec property backs on top a swamp in Harrison.....come fill the bucket hahahha

trebreklaw
05-31-2017, 04:57 PM
We used to get them at Mill Lake in the 60s. Great eating taste somewhat like chicken.

Here is a tip if you harvest some. Cut skin around top of legs without removing from the body. Then use pliers to pull skin off legs while holding body or nailing it to a plank. Then cut legs off body.

Good eating

North Star
06-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Use a fly rod and dangle a fly a foot or so above their heads and get ready for frog on!

SPEYMAN
06-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Deer lake in Burnaby was a great place for using this method. Use to rent a boat and slowly row along lily pads.

caddisguy
06-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Anyone know any clean waters we can catch some bullfrogs? I know some areas in Langley, but only near roads with all sorts of city and farm run-off, so not really wise to eat IMHO. Would love to catch some from a clean source.