PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting moose?

Lozzie
06-28-2016, 07:29 PM
So this year prior to the LEH results I was already planning to hunt mostly with the bow. I haven't shot anything outside of 60 yards in about 4 years with rifle anyways and there's no better feeling than the one you get when you see your arrow disappear through an animal. I was already planning for an Elk trip in the Kootenays but when the results came out turns out my hunting partners and I managed to score 2 shared moose hunt draws in the same area. Which means we can shoot 4 Bulls, now I don't know if there could be a better opportunity to try and get it done with the bow without having the pressure to shoot the first legal animal I see. So my question goes out to those experienced in bow hunting Bull moose, what have you learned? Anything you're willing to share to increase the odds of a successful hunt would be most appreciated. And if anyone wants to post a sweet archery moose hunting story I would not be opposed, I could hardly sleep last night I was so excited.

Cheers,
Lozzie

Squamch
06-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Scored two shared hunts? So 6+ guys have 4 bulls to share amongst themselves?

palmer
06-28-2016, 08:39 PM
What MU did you get your moose hunt in

Lozzie
06-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Yes the last time it happened to these guys was 10 years ago.

Scored two shared hunts? So 6+ guys have 4 bulls to share amongst themselves?

Lozzie
06-29-2016, 12:18 PM
Can't remember, mayb 1-2 lol

What MU did you get your moose hunt in

srupp
06-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Hmm guided several moose hunts where the hunter successfully harvested a bull moose...always during the rut and when called in came running to their demise...I always set up with hunter closer to anticipated route..called behind so bull thought he still had a few yards to his roll in the hay.

On both moose and grizzlies bows were quite capable but shots were reasonable and shooters experienced and moose preocupied..
Go for it..
Srupp

allan
06-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Never shot a bull moose with my bow yet, but had some very close calls.

Best sucess Ive had is calling them in like srupp said. Keeping the caller a way behind the shooter.
Funny story, one time had the caller about 40 yards behind the shooter, we couldn't see each other due to our inexperience there was a small gap about 10 yard beween us that was blind.
Turns out mr bull walked right between that gap when we were calling. we both could hear mr bull but thought it was the other guy moving ( and getting mad at each other for walking around) before agreed time of moving. If either one of us would have either stood up slowly or shifted two feet in either direction. We would have seen the bull!!
We knew which way the bull was headed and ran ahead of him to cut him off for second try but only caught the butt end of the bull moving thru our second choice for ambush.
It was a great learning curve!

Lozzie
06-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Thanks Srupp I'm sure we'll give that a go and thanks Allan for the story. I actually called a moose in to 20 yards during a GOS a few years back, I was sitting in my tree stand and he came in on a rope. The .270 made quick work but I've wished I had my bow that day.��

smallfry14
06-29-2016, 05:45 PM
I've snagged my first moose draw this year as well and was wondering the same thing. It would be my first bow kill and first moose. I am quite tempted to give it a try.

Caribou_lou
06-29-2016, 05:53 PM
Moose hunting with the bow... Get into the tight areas! Moose come in easy when there is no fear. The only fear a moose will have is strutting out into an open cut. I often set up in areas where I have 30 yards max to shoot. Bulls come in easy and there is lots of cover to hide yourself.

Sitkaspruce
06-29-2016, 07:11 PM
If you can, get a decoy. I have used the Montana Cow Moose decoy while guiding and had some success.

Like others have said, find an area that allows you to be tight to the bush but gives you shooting lanes. The bull will see the decoy and focus on it, allowing you to set up and possible get a shot.

You will need to be cow calling and playing the wind.

Cheers

SS

srupp
06-29-2016, 09:01 PM
Call lots..every 15 minutes by your watch..and set up some tampons with moose pee soaked they will catch a bulls attention from surprising distances and hold him in an area for a bit...at least overnight...deal with his ears. .calling...with his smell..cow pee and a decoy for his sight..and Bobs your uncle..
Cheers
Steven

Downwind
07-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Go for it! Took mine at 64 yards last year. Double lunged and passed through the opposite side 6 inches. Moose are easier than deer I think. More curious and less spooky most of the time.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/Moose%20Hunting%20Trip%202015/2015-10-06%20001%20014_zps1bmzigzj.jpg (http://s414.photobucket.com/user/Zanelike/media/Moose%20Hunting%20Trip%202015/2015-10-06%20001%20014_zps1bmzigzj.jpg.html)

Here was the exit hole

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/Moose%20Hunting%20Trip%202015/2015-10-06%20001%20018_zpskk87de1g.jpg (http://s414.photobucket.com/user/Zanelike/media/Moose%20Hunting%20Trip%202015/2015-10-06%20001%20018_zpskk87de1g.jpg.html)

BearSupreme
07-07-2016, 08:02 AM
I've snagged my first moose draw this year as well and was wondering the same thing. It would be my first bow kill and first moose. I am quite tempted to give it a try.

Im in the same boat as you! Got my first moose draw after applying for 4 years, got the draw in 7-03 and a grizz too. What region did you get?

The Hermit
07-07-2016, 08:46 AM
My partners and I have two tags for moose and I also won a grizzly tag in the same region, 7-26. If the gods favor us then ideally will take the first one with a rifle and then with full freezers, try for the second one with a bow. To me a moose represents too much meat to pass on a legal animal especially if I have a bow in hand.

calvin L
07-07-2016, 08:47 AM
The nice part was the sight window at 40 yards all the pins where in the kill zone . I found the bull expired faster than most of the deer and bears I have bow killed .

greybark
07-07-2016, 04:27 PM
[IMG]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab283/greybark111/IMG_0043.jpg (http://s872.photobucket.com/user/greybark111/media/IMG_0043.jpg.html)[/I

MG] Yuppers , call em in . Cheers

PS: Bow used Chek-mate TD2 Recurve .

Lozzie
07-10-2016, 10:36 PM
Nice one down wind and HS Greybark that's nice bull for stick and string. I've made a deal with the ol' boys that as soon as there is meat hanging in camp I'm switching to the bow. We have 4 tags to fill and I am quite serious about filling mine with the bow. It's my favourite way to hunt by far.

HarryToolips
07-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Nice bull there Greybark...what was your range in taking him with that recurve?? What's your draw weight?? I'm thinking of getting a recurve eventually..

greybark
07-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Nice one down wind and HS Greybark that's nice bull for stick and string. I've made a deal with the ol' boys that as soon as there is meat hanging in camp I'm switching to the bow. We have 4 tags to fill and I am quite serious about filling mine with the bow. It's my favourite way to hunt by far.

Hey Lozzie , I enjoyed lots of years rifle hunting then was ready for something new and picked up a Bow . It`s the Hunt and all that's associated with it that we enjoy and what we use is just what we carry .
Get involved and have fun with those "old boys " as time has a habit of moveing on . My hunts are very limited now and most occur on the 3-D trail where my fellow archers patiently feign that they listioning to the endless reruns . LOL
As for getting meat on the pole I certainly agree with that , but as one of my bud says " why kill something and ruin a good hunt". LOL .
Good luck to you and your crew , the secret to bowhunting is - commitment- plain and simple .
Cheers

greybark
07-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Nice bull there Greybark...what was your range in taking him with that recurve?? What's your draw weight?? I'm thinking of getting a recurve eventually..

Hey HarryToolips , As I recall this one was taken at a range of 35 yds , the bow used was a Chek-Mate Take Down 11 Recurve . They are still around and are amongst the finest bows on the market to-day . That particular bow`s riser was made from local Maple and highly tiger striped . As for poundage that bow was drawn to 28 in and around 55 lb . Now days am getting on , drawing 43 lbs and would not hesitate in drawing on a mature Bull with that . I believe the arrows were alum 2216 which were quite heavy compared to to-day`s arrows .
Don`t wait too long on getting a recurve , take your time get a second hand of lower poundage ( 35-40) to properly form up with lots of good archers and videos helping . Chances are in short time after a few 3-D events , you will eagerly step into a new challenge of Archery and Bowhunting adventure
The secret to Bowhunting is plain and simple - Commitment .
Good luck as this adventure will become a integral part of your being .

J_T
07-11-2016, 04:59 PM
About time you posted that pic up Greybark. I figured eventually it would come out.

greybark
07-11-2016, 05:06 PM
About time you posted that pic up Greybark. I figured eventually it would come out.

Before it faded away LOL .
Cheers J_T

HarryToolips
07-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Hey HarryToolips , As I recall this one was taken at a range of 35 yds , the bow used was a Chek-Mate Take Down 11 Recurve . They are still around and are amongst the finest bows on the market to-day . That particular bow`s riser was made from local Maple and highly tiger striped . As for poundage that bow was drawn to 28 in and around 55 lb . Now days am getting on , drawing 43 lbs and would not hesitate in drawing on a mature Bull with that . I believe the arrows were alum 2216 which were quite heavy compared to to-day`s arrows .
Don`t wait too long on getting a recurve , take your time get a second hand of lower poundage ( 35-40) to properly form up with lots of good archers and videos helping . Chances are in short time after a few 3-D events , you will eagerly step into a new challenge of Archery and Bowhunting adventure
The secret to Bowhunting is plain and simple - Commitment .
Good luck as this adventure will become a integral part of your being .
Ok thanks...ill pm ya to not derail the current thread..

fozzy
07-15-2016, 12:43 AM
Woohoo, congrats on the draw Lozzie!
Your plan sounds pretty familiar, I too will be carrying my bow for Moose this year.

Lozzie
07-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Nice Fozzy, that's great. Did you you get any other draws? Where abouts are you heading? Pm if you're keeping it on the down low.lol I'm pretty fired up, just got my mods installed on my King Cobra TF and the new draw length feels a lot better. I'm excited with the prospect of plunking a moose with it, and I'll be trying for Mulies kamloops in Nov. as well. I'm fired up.

walks with deer
07-28-2016, 11:19 PM
Most moose dad has shot has been in bow range I would say out of 20 something bulls he shot 50%where within bow range as close as 6 yards. I have been under ten yards countless times from moose just never open.. I like stalking creeks that are timbered with slash all around.

greybark
08-17-2016, 02:00 PM
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab283/greybark111/IMG_20160712_0001%20Moose.jpg
Hey Lozzie and Harry , this is proof that you do not need a high priced bow to get the job done ... Basic second hand entry level good value Chek-mate ,
Good luck this fall ... Cheers

Avalanche123
08-20-2016, 03:49 PM
Awesome pics there greyBark :)

greybark
08-20-2016, 05:25 PM
OK , can`t help it ! There is a story behind this hunt and it`s not about the Moose .
On the Alaska Hwy early in the next morning heading for home my hunting partner suggested stopping in for breakfast at a small typical Highway eatery. The new owner in his twenties put on the coffee and chatted with us , asking " did you get a Moose " ? Curtis M told him yes , he got one and with a recurve bow ! The owner all excited wanted to see the bow , so out we went to the truck and trailer . He was not interested in the Bull Moose but focused on the bow . The bow in question was a second hand basic Chek-mate with black limbs and actionwood ( fancy name for plywood) riser and very plain . With the Bow firmly in his hands he insisted that I sell it to him , which I did for what I payed for it and threw in some arrows .
Now back in the restaurant and settled in our breakfast the young owner explains he is a bit short on cash and just take our time with a free meal . As customers came and went the pile of cash beside the till grew until he rushed over required amount . LOL
I often wonder how the young man made out with his restaurant and where the "Heck" that bow is now ? LOL
Cheers

Edge
08-20-2016, 09:28 PM
OK , can`t help it ! There is a story behind this hunt and it`s not about the Moose .
On the Alaska Hwy early in the next morning heading for home my hunting partner suggested stopping in for breakfast at a small typical Highway eatery. The new owner in his twenties put on the coffee and chatted with us , asking " did you get a Moose " ? Curtis M told him yes , he got one and with a recurve bow ! The owner all excited wanted to see the bow , so out we went to the truck and trailer . He was not interested in the Bull Moose but focused on the bow . The bow in question was a second hand basic Chek-mate with black limbs and actionwood ( fancy name for plywood) riser and very plain . With the Bow firmly in his hands he insisted that I sell it to him , which I did for what I payed for it and threw in some arrows .
Now back in the restaurant and settled in our breakfast the young owner explains he is a bit short on cash and just take our time with a free meal . As customers came and went the pile of cash beside the till grew until he rushed over required amount . LOL
I often wonder how the young man made out with his restaurant and where the "Heck" that bow is now ? LOL
Cheers

Had a similar experience with a hunting knife back in the early 70's. I was on a bus heading for a summer job in United Keno Hill Mines in the Yukon. We were busing to the small town of Mayo some 30 miles short of the mining camp. A younger than I native fellow ( back then he called himself Indian) started up a conversation with me and as we had a few hours to kill we got around to hunting which he seemed to know quite a bit about..one thing led to another and us 2 young guys compared knives...I had a Puma white hunter and he fell in love with it....wouldn't put it down and begged me to sell it to him....I sold it for what it cost and he was happy...When I got back to Victoria I found the cost had doubled on this knife and was ticked that I had let it go so cheap. I have only once in a while wondered whatever happened to that kid and the knife............oh...I use a Russell now...