PDA

View Full Version : 3-46 moose

jbruce
06-28-2016, 03:37 AM
my son and I drew bulls in 3-46,november hunt,we wall tent and hike mostly got a few question if anyone has hunted wells grey in this unit, thanks.

Rayne
06-28-2016, 05:51 AM
I got a draw for October and didn't do my research before I put in there. So anyone set up properly to go hunt there? Split meat

Vladimir Poutine
06-28-2016, 07:41 AM
Well, the park is a tough one. There is a former resident that always puts in for the November hunt and gets it as it's almost always under subscribed. He also almost always scores. He doesn't come up from VI unless it's been snowing or about to. You have to find fresh sign and then follow it. You won't do it without snow no matter how good a tracker you think you are. The only access is the Park road, and once in it is the only road. There is a Park Ranger house just past the golf course on the right. Just past that is a rough road that will take you to a small parking lot that is the start of what is called the Stillwater Trail. It's very poorly marked, and it's not much of a trail. It's thick and unless the leaves are off you won't see much. The snow is the key. After the rut the moose tend to winter in this area. It is above a huge flat on the Clearwater River, but you cannot use that flat. It is impossible to get there.

The only other way to access 46 is from the East side through 3-40. Up Road 9 to Silence Lake and then a left and up up up. You can access the eastern park boundary from some of the logging roads in there but the elevation and potential snow may stop you. Good luck. You will need it.

jbruce
06-28-2016, 08:12 PM
sounds like a piece of " cake," thanks for the info

Rayne
06-28-2016, 08:19 PM
Lol I hope there is some access up there I would like to atleast have a chance to fill my tag

Stone Sheep Steve
06-28-2016, 08:38 PM
I seem to vaguely recall a classic post by butcher regarding a November moose draw in 3-46. IIRC- he said he would rather slam his nuts in the truck door that try to fill a November moose draw in November or something like that .....but I could be wrong.

smallfry14
06-28-2016, 08:53 PM
I seem to vaguely recall a classic post by butcher regarding a November moose draw in 3-46. IIRC- he said he would rather slam his nuts in the truck door that try to fill a November moose draw in November or something like that .....but I could be wrong.
I remember that one!! It's now a common phrase between me and my brothers/hunting partners. "I'd rather slam my nuts in the door buddy" LMAO!

butcher
06-28-2016, 08:54 PM
What I said was it would be as gratifying to slam your balls in your truck door 3 or 4 times as hunt 3-46 in October. I have since hunted several out of the way spots up there and found some moose but it is a lot of work. A float plane helps too but is optional.

butcher
06-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Green mountain, Stillwater and pyramid mtn are good places to start if you have a late draw. Be prepared to walk a lot.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-28-2016, 09:02 PM
What I said was it would be as gratifying to slam your balls in your truck door 3 or 4 times as hunt 3-46 in October. I have since hunted several out of the way spots up there and found some moose but it is a lot of work. A float plane helps too but is optional.

Oh. I get it now. You just said that to drop the odds so you could hunt there every year! I know your type(wink)

jbruce
06-29-2016, 03:47 AM
the walkn parts still easy, the packn part is starting to get a bit tougher,like six pieces instead of four,and I,ll drop a small "tender"bull instead of a hat rack,what I'd like to know about are the areas to throw up the wall tent,should we bother bringing the skiff,?.thanks guys.

XPEIer
06-29-2016, 04:57 AM
double check the regs, I think there may be a 400m no shooting along any road as well.

butcher
06-29-2016, 07:24 AM
There is a 400 m restriction off the main road. Most of the secondary roads were made exempt a while ago.