PDA

View Full Version : Bison in October! :) Any advice?

nicktrehearne
06-27-2016, 03:06 PM
Well, I was happy to see that I drew a bison tag on the "a" side for the second half of October. I plan to bowhunt and would like to avoid the use of ATV's. It will also likely be a solo hunt (unless I find someone interested)

Any advice on areas to check out (on foot) or where I can get a vehicle into? I have / and will continue to read all the info on here - was just hoping to maybe get some recent info (within the past couple years). I will also spend time on the ground scouting in advance...

Thanks!!

Bear Chaser
06-27-2016, 08:12 PM
It's a big area. Most of it completely inaccessible to trucks.
You should plan on having an ATV at least to get the downed animal back to your vehicle once you get it out to a legal ATV trail.

bridger
06-27-2016, 08:26 PM
It's a big area. Most of it completely inaccessible to trucks.
You should plan on having an ATV at least to get the downed animal back to your vehicle once you get it out to a legal ATV trail.

Good advice. Not an area with easy access

375shooter
06-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Good advice. Not an area with easy access

Bridger, would that hunt be doable with horses? I don't have the draw, but just wondering?

Ry151
06-27-2016, 10:15 PM
you can pay blue berry first nations to go through the pink mountain ranch. that will get you further back in the valley on the north side of the halfway but you still need a quad or sled to go the majority of the way. you may be able to access some area on the cypress creek road on the south side of the halfway river. I did hear that blue berry was making a road to some cabins they were building around rob lake so there may be a road there but i believe restrictions still apply to everyone else.

bridger
06-27-2016, 10:23 PM
Bridger, would that hunt be doable with horses? I don't have the draw, but just wondering?

absolutely. My wife got a bison draw a few years ago and we took our horses in there. She got a nice bull. Great horse country.

SaintSix
06-27-2016, 11:16 PM
Bring a battery power sawzall. made wonders of my bison. 8 manageable pieces :) but mine was a Alberta bison, so ive got no imput on where in bc to go :(

nicktrehearne
06-28-2016, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the info guys! Keep it coming :)

Buck
06-28-2016, 08:09 AM
We covered a lot of ground before getting ours.We payed the fee to pass the ranch well worth it.Bring a game cart at the very least they are huge animals and it will be many trips out.If your going by foot probably best to get some good glassing spots and not stray to far from your vehicle.Not sure if Whitetail and and mulies are open at that time but we saw some very good bucks of both species in there in December.Elk in there as well lots of wolves.

CaribooBC
06-28-2016, 04:51 PM
Bring a battery power sawzall. made wonders of my bison. 8 manageable pieces :) but mine was a Alberta bison, so ive got no imput on where in bc to go :(
+1000 on the sawzall, bring an extra battery for it as well. We killed one battery at -26C quartering our Buff a few years ago.

tuffcityhunter
06-28-2016, 08:42 PM
Was their two years ago for the 1-15 oct. Payed blueberry ranch to go through their land, camped our trailer their for free. Did take a look at the trail going around the ranch it was in good condition for a quad, mud wasnt to bad at all but also it hadn't rained in a couple days then. Dad has tried in the ice on it and sayed it was very interesting. One larger hill. Seen lots of game Legal Moose, Legal bull elk, and white tails not to mention huge grizzles. Only Bison we saw where high up on the hills once the season started. So packboards went on and got one the 2nd day. Their are most definitely vehicle restrictions their take the time to understand them and follow them even if the ranch says it doesnt matter!!! We found that people also removed signs too. So understand the rules and boundries before you go their.
Seen some guys take horses in going for sheep.
Beautiful country truly a lifetime hunt. Best of luck.

Would love to trade any more info on this for sheep info :wink::wink::wink:

375shooter
06-28-2016, 10:48 PM
absolutely. My wife got a bison draw a few years ago and we took our horses in there. She got a nice bull. Great horse country.

Wow! That's a dream hunt. Maybe some day for me too.:smile:

dudly
06-28-2016, 11:05 PM
Our group got a bison draw as well.

creekcreek
06-29-2016, 12:29 AM
Got a bison also for area A 1st to 15 oct What are the fees at the ranch last year Any other info would be great Have quads but still trying to figure out the road restrictions

44inchStone
07-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Just remember the ATV closure.
Although the FN may be building cabins back at rob lake for possible outfitting, you will be many many kms away from the lake and inaccessible for you with ATV.
Horses are a different story but remember, these are bison, not moose and are big pieces of meat to try and cool and horses to carry.
Good luck to you

fearnodeer
07-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Find someone to go with you they are a big animal and to much for 1 man to handle, you are going to need an ATV as far as I am concerned it's a big area, the prices for the ranch seem to change every year so call them to get a price and bring it with you it could change by the time you get there, you can only drive in 6k on the ranch by truck.

fearnodeer
07-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Got a bison also for area A 1st to 15 oct What are the fees at the ranch last year Any other info would be great Have quads but still trying to figure out the road restrictions

You could go as far as sulphur creek when I was there which is just past horse camp which is approximately 25-30k in.