PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on buying used boat

mcmullmar
06-26-2016, 08:29 AM
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a used runabout type boat in the 15-17' range with a 45-70hp motor. I want it for ocean fishing around Vancouver. I am wonder what things should I be looking out for as signs that the boat and motor are in good shape, or I should be running for the door.

Any tips would be welcome.

allan
06-26-2016, 08:45 AM
with a boat that size just remember to stay closer inland. It can get rough fast out there. Safety equipment is a must.
A month ago we were headed from gambier island to sunset cove and I thought we were gonna sink. We had a 20 ft with a 175 ob.
Buy what you can afford , learn the ropes and have fun!

mcmullmar
06-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Yikes, glad you made it, thanks for the info. Would like a bigger boat but storage is an issue.

Pinewood
06-26-2016, 09:26 AM
Buy the biggest boat you can manage to either store or tow. If you think you want a 17', go with a 19' or 20'. As you get more comfortable you'll find you should have gone bigger in the first place. That being said, for fishing the Vancouver salt chuck, you can't go wrong with a 17' Hourston or Double Eagle. I would look for an older hull in good shape and then put a newer engine on it. That's what I did with my Arima. In my opinion, a 15' boat is too small to be out there in, not because it is unsafe, but it's simply not comfortable.

mcmullmar
06-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Ok, but how do I know if the hull is in good shape? What about the transom, how do I know if it is weak?

.264winmag
06-26-2016, 09:37 AM
Look for a 1990's or newer hourston or double eagle in 16.5-18' IMO. Had a 93' 15.5 hourston with a 70 four stroke, unbelievable capability for a small rig. Fished the banks off Bamfield with it no problem. Out there one day only other boat was a 30ft Grady the seas were angry!
From alberni Marina to 7 mile bank troll all day and have to hook up third 5 gal tank at China creek on way in. The 17.2 hourstan sportsman is a real beauty too. Personally I'd stay away from campions unless it's ten years old or newer.

.264winmag
06-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Ok, but how do I know if the hull is in good shape? What about the transom, how do I know if it is weak?
Can get a marine survey done, but just as easy to bring a small lead blow hammer and tap the transom from inside and outside. You'll hear the wet or rot quite easily. Look for the mounting bolts digging into the transom, sign it's getting soft. Access any other spots you can to do the same, most boats can hide a lot of sin in the stringers though. Be absolutely brutally honest with its condition, try not to fall in love with it lol. Lots of boats for sale, don't buy s project unless you like glass work...

Iron Glove
06-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Can get a marine survey done, but just as easy to bring a small lead blow hammer and tap the transom from inside and outside. You'll hear the wet or rot quite easily. Look for the mounting bolts digging into the transom, sign it's getting soft. Access any other spots you can to do the same, most boats can hide a lot of sin in the stringers though. Be absolutely brutally honest with its condition, try not to fall in love with it lol. Lots of boats for sale, don't buy s project unless you like glass work...

Beat me to it. :mrgreen:
Good surveys are not cheap and cheap surveys are not good.
Most Surveyors I deal with suggest a brass hammer used carefully to "tap tap", of course with the owner's permission.
Depending on intended use, aluminum boats might be a better choice, at least they are easier to check out.

Vladimir Poutine
06-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Wooden stringers or transom in a used glass boat? No thanks.

.264winmag
06-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Wooden stringers or transom in a used glass boat? No thanks.
Nothing wrong with it if they're full wrapped, ever look at an older wellcraft? Heavy but bulletproof...

.264winmag
06-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Beat me to it. :mrgreen:
Good surveys are not cheap and cheap surveys are not good.
Most Surveyors I deal with suggest a brass hammer used carefully to "tap tap", of course with the owner's permission.
Depending on intended use, aluminum boats might be a better choice, at least they are easier to check out.
Ya any type of small hammer will work, it should jump right back at you.
Aluminum has its issues, rivets loosen, flex points will eventually stress crack, welds pop, corrosion from chuck. If I ever have the $ I'll go big and aluminum, there's lots of nice ones on the market these days.

Iron Glove
06-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Ya any type of small hammer will work, it should jump right back at you.
Aluminum has its issues, rivets loosen, flex points will eventually stress crack, welds pop, corrosion from chuck. If I ever have the $ I'll go big and aluminum, there's lots of nice ones on the market these days.

Yup, aluminum does have it's problems but at least your not digging through a couple of inches of f.g. to find the problems. :mrgreen:
Every now and then I take a look at getting a nice, new 17 ft. Alum for the Fraser and for the kids and grandkids to use on the Lake but then I question the sanity of getting one more damn motorized toy that needs upkeep, insurance, a place to store it that basically will be mostly used by the kids. :wink:

mcmullmar
06-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the hammer tip!!!

.264winmag
06-26-2016, 02:06 PM
A far as motors go, I would favour a 4 stroke of any brand. There's very few older 2 strokes I'd look at, Yamaha 70hp were good but I'd get a compression test done. Personally not a fan of the high pressure direct injection 2 strokes but some guys say they have good luck with them. All newer outboards are excellent on fuel compared to the carbureted 2cycles. If it runs on all cylinders, doesn't smoke too bad and pisses water it'll get ya around.

andrewscag
06-27-2016, 12:05 PM
You're going to have to look a LOOOOONG time to find a fiberglass boat without a wood core transom ;-)

Depending on your timeline, Sewells Marina sells off a few of their Hourstons and motors at the end of the year. Size you're looking for and they look to be in good shape as well if you can put up with some scratches.

Glenny
06-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Get a compression tester fro Crappy tire. Might not get required reading of cylinders but if they are all the same ish compression..could e a gooder. Might want to make sure motor has tilt trim for some of these shallower launches. I got lucky last year buying my 17' glasply with 85p yamaha, power downriggers the whole nine yaards, Lowrance deepfounder, black box. etc. Great deal and nice and heavy for the chuck. Shop around for months and you will learn a lot. Good luck

.264winmag
06-27-2016, 02:15 PM
You're going to have to look a LOOOOONG time to find a fiberglass boat without a wood core transom ;-)

Depending on your timeline, Sewells Marina sells off a few of their Hourstons and motors at the end of the year. Size you're looking for and they look to be in good shape as well if you can put up with some scratches.

My old one came from pedder bay, I'm sure it's still bouncing around out there somewhere. Good boats even if the transits are plywood n glass;)