PDA

View Full Version : Summer sleeping bag help...

srupp
06-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Guys and Gals.....I need some help, please.I have 90% of my Spatsizi sheep gear sorted out.
I do need some assistance with choosing a NEW sleeping bag for this trip.

It will be AUGUST we have a tent for two...I am a BIG guy and sleep VERY warm(most moose trips I sleep with my North Face sleeping bag wide open like a blanket in Mountain Hardware tent).I also will be using a sleeping mat under me...

I was looking at a choice of two bags..

1)dualmax..primaloft and down...2 poundS 12 oz..for an extra wide extra long bag rated for 30 degrees F

2) DOWN bag..again extra long extra wide..1#11 oz and rated for 35 degrees F

I have several sleeping bags for different hunts...I didnt want to use my Mountain hardware sleeping bag as its designed to go to - 18 f /0 degrees celcius and I felt it would be too warm?? And it is almost 5 pounds....

Thank you in advance

Steven Rupp

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2007, 09:53 PM
For a synthetic bag checkout Sierra Deigns Volt-primaloft.

For a down "waterproof" checkout Marmot's Helium EQ. Bigger bucks but squeezes down to a loaf of bread8).

SSS

Krico
06-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Steve you may not sleep quite as warm as you used to with the 50lbs plus of "insulation" you have shed since you started training...Something to keep in mind...I still wouldn't take a cold weather bag though.

One Shot
06-13-2007, 10:37 PM
IMHO I would reconsider about not taking a warmer bag. Even in August it can get below freezing and snow in the mtns. Being warm and rested at night will give you a more enjoyable day. One cold night not too bad but 3 or 4 cold nights can be a b*#+h. It is always better to be warm than cold. I would suggest a 3 season bag down to about -10c or -15c. Bag ratings at best are optimum and comfort level is usually a few degrees below depending on manufacturer. Todays bags do not have to wiegh 5+ pounds. Good luck.:-D

bigwhiteys
06-13-2007, 10:45 PM
IMHO I would reconsider about not taking a warmer bag. Even in August it can get below freezing and snow in the mtns. Being warm and rested at night will give you a more enjoyable day.

Yeppers... I like to have a warmer bag that I can vent via the side zippers. Mine is a Shackleton made by Sierra Designs... 3 lbs.

Carl

kutenay
06-14-2007, 12:19 AM
After many years of mountain living and backpacking and many sleeping bags, I have six at present, there are two bag makers at the pinnacle of design/quality, IMO.

For down bags, Western Mountaineering is THE finest, with Integral Designs being as well made, but, not quite as well designed. I have owned an original Marmot Mtn. bag, have a GT Feathered Friends and so forth.

For synthetic bags, Integral Designs is the finest I have ever used, yes, I have had a Wiggy's and others, as well. I have an ID North Twin plus Andromeda overbag, this is the military model, makes into a VERY warm winter bag or into two bags for warmer temps. I carry the North Twin itself on all my hunts as it is 3.75 lbs. and WILL svae your life if caught out in bad weather, as I have been.

This is a very versatile set and what I think is best for BC hunting in the fall season; I no longer use a down bag of which I have three for hunting as Primaloft compresses so well and works better in wet conditions.

Go to www.integraldesigns.com (http://www.integraldesigns.com), buy a "broad-long" and it WILL fit, I have an 18.5"neck, 49"chest and big shoulders and their "broad-regular" gives me LOTS of room. I also have their down-Endurance XPDII Himalayan bag, with custom options, this is good to -30*F and weighs 4lbs.9oz.; it is my base camp bag inside my Kifaru tipi.....pure luxury!

MattB
06-14-2007, 05:03 AM
I have an 18.5"neck, 49"chest and big shoulders and their "broad-regular" gives me LOTS of room.

That 18.5" neck, 49" chest and big shoulders sure came in handy when packing out this grizz we got last year!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/matthew_brown69/mattandhisgfbrownbearhunting.jpg

Alpine85
06-14-2007, 05:53 AM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was not expecting ANOTHER great "photo" when I checked this tread, hahaha wow spit my coffee out...:mrgreen:

Brambles
06-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Presonally I like a synthetic bag mainly because if it gets damp or wet then it will still keep you warm but down will loose all its insulating qualities.

I have a Monte Bel and so far its a nice bag its a -9 celcius bag packs up small for a synthetic almost as small as my brothers helium, weighs 2 lbs ish and the shell is made of an semi stretchy material that allows you to move around and forms to your body, real nice feature if you don't sleep like a log or want to curl up, and its only about $160 to buy, definitly a lot cheaper then down bags.

jethrobuddy
06-14-2007, 06:51 AM
Have you looked at Taiga's "1001 nights" bag with DRYLOFT?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Presonally I like a synthetic bag mainly because if it gets damp or wet then it will still keep you warm but down will loose all its insulating qualities.

I have a Monte Bel and so far its a nice bag its a -9 celcius bag packs up small for a synthetic almost as small as my brothers helium, weighs 2 lbs ish and the shell is made of an semi stretchy material that allows you to move around and forms to your body, real nice feature if you don't sleep like a log or want to curl up, and its only about $160 to buy, definitly a lot cheaper then down bags.

Is Angry Bob's Helium the EQ model or just the regular without the waterproof cover?

If the Montbel bag fits you Brambles, Srupp should be okay in itas well.

SSS

boxhitch
06-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Srupp should be okay in itas well.

Double wide ?

boxhitch
06-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Dryloft, Hyperloft, Primaloft ........tough to know the differences.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Primaloft is supposed to be he most compactable synthetic and one of the best if it gets wet.

SSS

srupp
06-14-2007, 07:51 AM
hmmmm doublewide....

I am looking at a BIG Agnes sleeping bag...."Crystal" 30 degrees rating..dualmax =down and Primaloft combo..73 " shoulder girth and STILL just 2 pounds 12 oz...for $169

Thank you for the GREAT experinced help..I am still checking websites from the wonderful suggestions presented here and in PM'S

And to the "special " individual that suggested us "heavy " people stay out of the sheep mountains UNTILL we lose lottsa weight..thank you for those words of encouragment....

Steven

kutenay
06-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Dryloft is a shell material, used by Western Mountaineering in many of it's superb bags, Hyperloft is an MEC term and is synthetic insulation and Primaloft is a trade name for a specific insulation and it IS the best for compression while being excellent in wet conditions.

BA gear is good, no question, I have some and they are nice guys to talk to, they also have been to Nelson to ski. But, you really do get what you pay for in backpacking gear and your sleeping roll, boots and pack are where spending serious coin really pays off.

I have spent extended periods of time alone in the bush near Spatsizi and am going up north in August on some exploration work with a friend in the mining business. I honestly gotta agree with Oneshot, I would take a bag rated to no warmer than 15-20*F, I also sleep "warm", but it can be really ugly up there as it can in the Kootenays, look at opening day, 2005, snow, freezing, wind, etc.

The ID "Renaissance" is rated to 20*F, is about 3lbs. in your size and that is the lightest bag I would take hunting in BC. I am a cautious old phart and am VERY careful about my gear choices as I often o-night hunt solo.

tuchodi
06-14-2007, 08:28 AM
srupp; I agrea fully with kutenay as I also have 2 bags from Integral Designs. One is the Renaissance and my other is North Twin. I have used both in the Ketchca and Muskwa many times and they are great. I used to use Down bags but on an extended hunt they get damp and you just can't dry them out properly. The Primaloft has been exceptionaly warm and has not gotten damp after 7 nights on the mountains. Take one that is good for a little colder weather as I have been stuck in my tent for 3 days looking at it snowing on Aug 1. If you ar lucky and the weather is warm just leave the zipper open. Good luck on your hunt.

StoneChaser
06-14-2007, 08:33 AM
I had a Wiggys "Kifaru Special" made up for backpacking, and have used it since '04 w/no complaints (I use it no later than early October...it is a summer/fall bag (no more than that))

I love the design, the bag is super generous (first bag I've owned that allowed me to sleep on my back w/arms crossed...usually they are much too narrow in the shoulders).

It is super light, compacts down smaller than a volleyball, is machine washable, and has a lifetime warranty on every stitch including the zipper.

Beauty is that you pick the options (zipper length, width....) it truly is a custom bag.

I know Kutenay has not been impressed with Wiggy's, but I've spent well over 50 nights in that bag in varying temperatures with zero complaints.

I'll admit to not being a super gear weenie - when I find something that works I use it until it wears out. I'm a hunter not a gear collector.

There seem to be a ton of good bags out there, and I'd definatly not hesitate to try one the of suggested ID bags.

srupp
06-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks all great info I have decided....and I know I will be happy.

what a great group of guys...

Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
06-14-2007, 11:29 AM
For an early northern season sheephunting bag the norm is to look at something in the -7C (20 deg F)range as was mentioned. You can wake up to winter any day of the year up there:-?.

SSS

270WIN
06-14-2007, 11:49 AM
this will be the bag i will use on my backpack trips

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444209 6155&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302865703&bmUID=1173306684310

boxhitch
06-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I've used a North Face 'Bighorn' for a couple of years. Bought at Far West. Nice size, typical syn. bulk, about 4 lbs.
With 'H.O.T. Insulation'.......whatever, it works to rated -7C.
Am considering I.D. overbag, to add for October trips.

daycort
06-14-2007, 01:29 PM
have you checked out suisse sports. i bought one of there bags last year from ebay after some investigating. I found it very durable and light, and it fit me well enough. I am a little bigger guy to.

One Shot
06-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks all great info I have decided....and I know I will be happy.

So you decided on something to keep you warm. What is her name?:-D

browning
06-14-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm with Stonechaser on this one, "wiggy's" is the best sleeping bag I've ever used. Worth every penny..

srupp
06-14-2007, 06:47 PM
one -shot.....S U S A N ......