PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on the new cabelas?

xcaribooer
06-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Went today for the VIP (LOL) opening, no bad not bad. I was expecting bigger though somehow. It didn't feel a lot different than the WSS in Langley. I found the rings and scope covers I wanted , didn't find a trout net to my liking though. I did get a laugh at the fishing rod salesman , one person asked for a 6wt 10ft flyrod setup suited to chironomid fishing, well he found a 10'6wt alright but then he tried adding an 8wt arbor reel and actually said "this is the setup you want, all the pike guys love it!", I had to walk away.
all in all a good experience, some of the mounts are great, the best one is the stuffed sasquatch hiding in the tree!

RiverOtter
06-22-2016, 02:01 PM
That Samsquanch ain't stuffed, they just pay Gatehouse to stay really still during store hours......:shock::lol:

Gateholio
06-22-2016, 02:09 PM
True story.....:)

tikkahunter
06-22-2016, 02:34 PM
I was there yesterday afternoon. Tried to beat the rush based on what I heard about the Monday evening event. Not a big store by Cabelas standards, but still far better than WSS in my opinion. Was a little disappointed with the sitka display, as well as a few other brands. But was assured they will be getting more selection in the next while. There were definitely some good deals to be had. Vortex optics were very competitively priced. Add the "staff discount" that was offered last night, and the prices would be hard to beat.

Just my 2 cents

Xenomorph
06-22-2016, 02:38 PM
Add the "staff discount" that was offered last night, and the prices would be hard to beat.

Just my 2 cents

What discount :)
Got anything?

russm
06-22-2016, 02:40 PM
I noticed the vortex stuff is priced pretty decently too, and im in the market for a scope hmmm....

Wentrot
06-22-2016, 02:42 PM
I ended up going today. I like it, much better than WSS but only grabbed a few things for my kid and got out of there. Overall I think it's going to be great to have a cabelas in the area-the free shipping to store via online shopping is the cherry on top.

BgBlkDg
06-22-2016, 02:44 PM
I just came home from spending an hour there, about 10 mins. drive from our humble abode.

Decent selection, mediocre "Gun Library", one nice piece, but, priced almost twice the "market" and some older "name" shooties, pretty beat.

However, the staff I met, were all VERY polite, maybe not "experts" on every aspect of hunting-shooting-angling and so forth, but, REALLY NICE. That WORKS in retail, especially the "luxury" aspect of it.

I will certainly return, buy some gear I need there and perhaps even some flies and flylines, but, Reliable, Nechako, Italian and GR plus Prophet River, are where I will continue to shop for gun stuff.

They sure have some total BABES working there, tho', nice to see so many younger women around guns-hunting.

tikkahunter
06-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Staff discount was offered to anyone who was invited last night. I don't understand how the tier system is calculated for the discount. But I do know I saved a good chunk of change.

Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 dead hold bdc was $659, minus whatever the discount would've been. Great scope, have it on all 6 of my Tikka's.

ROY-alty33
06-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Not a bad set up....went in without a plan or looking for specific item and basically wandered for an hour....not a sale to be had...spent some cash in the bargain bin but even the current flyer sales were offered in-store during the "VIP" event.
From what I hear about crowds Monday night and the people there today will be avoiding that place for a few days/weeks, gonna be a gong show

Sale prices will up the odds of me going back, or if they get 8mm bullets, 325 brass or 325 factory ammo. Plus the smart buggers put the in store pickup at the back of the store.

ETA: Unfortunately avoided the gun counter as well, wasn't waiting in line for that!

LupieHunter
06-22-2016, 03:34 PM
Was very happy with the store. Was a lot larger than I expected but their selection of women's camo was pathetic. Tiny compared to the men's or even the kids sections. You think with women hunters being the largest growing demographic in the hunting world, they would have a decent in store selection...

panhead
06-22-2016, 03:56 PM
Cabela's went cheap again ... wait for the full sized Bass Pro coming soon ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinking about our purpose on earth.
No matter how successful you become. No matter how many people love you. No matter what great poems you wrote or songs you have sung.
In the end your purpose is maintaining a worm colonies existence.
Life eats life. A worm can’t eat a rock, nor can human find nutrition in rocks. We eat dead stuff or we die of starvation.
We live to die for another species…

tubby
06-22-2016, 04:20 PM
I will be giving all my business to them for fishing instead of Freds. Better prices and they do not oemploy poachers in the fishing community. A tackle store that has a convicted poacher plus another pending offense and court date working at it is not where i will do my business.
I love Cabellas on the island cheapest place to buy chovies and herring.
Super excited too see what the bass pro shop brings as well

RiverOtter
06-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Cabela's went cheap again ... wait for the full sized Bass Pro coming soon ...
Dunno, if the BC Bass Pro is anything like the one in Balzac Alberta, your gonna be disappointed. Big store sure, filled with cool displays and overpriced crap. I left there and headed to WSS Calgary to shop and WSS is far from 'great'.

Mtn Wonderer
06-22-2016, 05:37 PM
I went this morning and left with some new boots. My family was pretyy happy with new store.!!

xcaribooer
06-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Hornady 45-70 at abby cabelas -$60 , same stuff at wanstalls -$47 BIG store does not mean cheaper prices......

Dirty
06-22-2016, 06:13 PM
I will be giving all my business to them for fishing instead of Freds. Better prices and they do not oemploy poachers in the fishing community. A tackle store that has a convicted poacher plus another pending offense and court date working at it is not where i will do my business.

Amen Tubby you took the words out of my mouth. Your integrity shows why you are one of the top guides on the Fraser River. I can't believe a convicted poacher would be employed at a tackle store.

panhead
06-22-2016, 08:13 PM
Dunno, if the BC Bass Pro is anything like the one in Balzac Alberta, your gonna be disappointed. Big store sure, filled with cool displays and overpriced crap. I left there and headed to WSS Calgary to shop and WSS is far from 'great'.

Know what you mean ... was in there last fall ... seemed like a place you MUST visit ... maybe only once though ... wasn't impressed. The rest of the new mall in Tsawwassen is supposed to cater to "fashion" according to the local rag. Seems an odd combination. But hey ... what do I know about shopping.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if u marry for money ya end up earning it

adriaticum
06-22-2016, 08:13 PM

Sorry, what are you talking about?
Who is a convicted poacher?

Riverbc
06-22-2016, 08:32 PM
I went to Cabelas today and took my 86-year-old father in tow. He'd never heard of Cabela's before so he was really surprised and amazed to say the least at the size of the store plus all the different animal mounts. he was like a kid in a candy store! His eyes just got bigger and bigger as we got farther into the store.
The archery department customer service is going to have to take it up quite a few notches. I was not impressed with the fellow there.
I didn't buy anything but it was nice to see that they stocked my brand of ammo in the two different sizes that I use. I didn't buy anything because I didn't really need anything, but it's nice to know they keep it in stock for when I do need it.

LupieHunter
06-22-2016, 08:39 PM
I went to Cabelas today and took my 86-year-old father in tow. He'd never heard of Cabela's before so he was really surprised and amazed to say the least at the size of the store plus all the different animal mounts. he was like a kid in a candy store! His eyes just got bigger and bigger as we got farther into the store.
The archery department customer service is going to have to take it up quite a few notches. I was not impressed with the fellow there.
I didn't buy anything but it was nice to see that they stocked my brand of ammo in the two different sizes that I use. I didn't buy anything because I didn't really need anything, but it's nice to know they keep it in stock for when I do need it.

Were you there in the morning or afternoon? The fellow I dealt with in the archery department in the morning was great. Very helpful and was able to help me find the right type of arrows for my bow.

Riverbc
06-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Were you there in the morning or afternoon? The fellow I dealt with in the archery department in the morning was great. Very helpful and was able to help me find the right type of arrows for my bow.

I was there in the afternoon. The young fellow had set up a compound bow for a customer to shoot. The customer kept saying he couldn't see through the peep sight, which was twisted 90 degrees. The young fellow, said, "then don't use it." :confused: Another Cabelas fellow, came by when the customer was at full draw, and was complaining about the peep sight. He reached over and twisted the peep so the customer could see through it. The customer, stated, "that's better."
I talked to the customer, and he said he never shot a compound before, and I said, I noticed his hand all over the place for the 3 shots I watched. I mentioned finding an anchor point, with his knuckle under his ear. The younger Cabela's employee, said "just put your hand wherever it's comfortable." :? I spoke with the customer in the parking lot after. He bought a few things, but no bow. He wasn't happy with the lack of guidance for a first timer.

North Star
06-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Cabelas is typically at the higher end of the price scale. Great mounts though that are always fun to check out. I'm thinking bass pro will have better prices overall.

LupieHunter
06-22-2016, 09:23 PM
I was there in the afternoon. The young fellow had set up a compound bow for a customer to shoot. The customer kept saying he couldn't see through the peep sight, which was twisted 90 degrees. The young fellow, said, "then don't use it." :confused: Another Cabelas fellow, came by when the customer was at full draw, and was complaining about the peep sight. He reached over and twisted the peep so the customer could see through it. The customer, stated, "that's better."
I talked to the customer, and he said he never shot a compound before, and I said, I noticed his hand all over the place for the 3 shots I watched. I mentioned finding an anchor point, with his knuckle under his ear. The younger Cabela's employee, said "just put your hand wherever it's comfortable." :? I spoke with the customer in the parking lot after. He bought a few things, but no bow. He wasn't happy with the lack of guidance for a first timer.
Yeah definitely not the same guy then. The guy who helped me knew his stuff.

Wentrot
06-23-2016, 05:27 AM

He speaks the truth.

ruger#1
06-23-2016, 05:30 AM
I might go on Sunday. Been working six days a week. And yard work. It is hard to get away.

shoot to kill
06-23-2016, 07:37 AM
That Brody kid who works there has been charged before and has another pending charge not even a year from the last time

wideopenthrottle
06-23-2016, 08:00 AM
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/research-monitoring-reporting/reporting/environmental-enforcement-reporting/quarterly-environmental-enforcement-summary

here is the poachers/polluters wall of shame...I didn't look for his name yet

tubby
06-23-2016, 08:55 AM
https://justice.gov.bc.ca/cso/criminal/searchAccusedResult.do?serviceId=32863443
Brody mansell convicted for chucking bait in liliooet for steelhead when it was complety closed to fishing to protect super endangered fall steelhead. Now has another charge and court date in July. Hopefully with this charge they take his vehicle or a major fine. He obviously has zero respect for laws or species that are on the brink of extinction.
This is not the person you want representing your business.

ACB
06-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Cabelas is typically at the higher end of the price scale. Great mounts though that are always fun to check out. I'm thinking bass pro will have better prices overall.
I'v been at both store's in Calgary, you could almost hide Cabela's in the Bass Pro Shop. You are right the pricing on the Bass Pro Shop signature RED HEAD gear is cheap, made in CHINA cheap. They Don't have a lot of quality brand name gear mostly RED HEAD gear. But that said I got my new Leupold RX-1200i TBR with DNA rangefinder for about $100 less than I seen before or since on sale , right place at the right time. The BASS PRO SHOP is a lot bigger outfit than Cabela's and they sell ATV's, UTV's, BOATS, MOTOR's for the boats and never mind their clothing area and hunting area and outdoor cooking area and camping area and fishing area and is a great place to spend a morning or afternoon at but that said I still think Cabela's has more quality brand name stuff.

Iron Glove
06-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Decide to forego the mobs and headed to the cabin for a week. :smile:
Guess we'll head there in a few weeks.
Need a set of full length, light deadening curtains for the French doors in our Master Suite, damned sun keeps waking me up. They do have a ton of nice "cabin" stuff like that and I don't want a pink, frilly set from Sears.
We have a ton of Cabela's stuff both at home and the cabin, lots of casual clothing, fishing, hunting and ATV stuff. Their big attraction at least to us is the broad selection. So for us, plus side is the selection, down side is the almost 1 hour drive each way and the gas costs to do so. In the winter, maybe I can tie a drop in hockey game with a Cabela's trip.

ruger#1
06-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Can you get a catalogue from their store? Or is it all on the net?

Bugle M In
06-23-2016, 12:02 PM
Thought I read somewhere that there was a chance that Bass Pro was going to "buy out" Cabela's?
Not sure if that is happening anymore, or still in the works?

Riverbc
06-23-2016, 12:13 PM
https://justice.gov.bc.ca/cso/criminal/searchAccusedResult.do?serviceId=32863443
Brody mansell convicted for chucking bait in liliooet for steelhead when it was complety closed to fishing to protect super endangered fall steelhead. Now has another charge and court date in July. Hopefully with this charge they take his vehicle or a major fine. He obviously has zero respect for laws or species that are on the brink of extinction.
This is not the person you want representing your business.

I'm guessing this is the same fellow?

E12802-1
08-Jul-2015
SFR - 63 prohibited method/gear/bait used during close time
Commit
MANSELL, BRODY Tyler

E3219-1
04-Jun-2016
SFR - 63 prohibited method/gear/bait used during close time
Commit
MANSELL, BRODY Tyler
Penticton BC

AgSilver
06-23-2016, 12:16 PM
IG - once you know what you want, you can usually get stuff shipped free off their website (they usually have a free shipping promotion).

MichelD
06-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Just curious, has anyone done a comparison of factory ammunition prices between that Cabela's and WSS Langley?

I'm wondering if it's worth the gas or if I should just cycle over to Italian (I'm close) and get a box of Federal blue box 280.

That's all I want.

Riverbc
06-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Thought I read somewhere that there was a chance that Bass Pro was going to "buy out" Cabela's?
Not sure if that is happening anymore, or still in the works?

AS of April 2016

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/bass-pro-purchase/

News broke Tuesday that Bass Pro Shops is preparing a bid for the purchase of Cabela’s. The merger, first rumored in November (http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/bass-pro-buying-cabelas/), would transform the world of hunting and fishing like nothing else before it, as well as affecting the livelihoods of thousands of workers.
Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cabelas-m-a-basspro-goldman-sachs-exc-idUSKCN0XG1V0) reported that BPS has partnered with Goldman Sach’s private equity firm to provide the financing needed to purchase Cabela’s. While the bid amount and a potential date for the purchase are still unknown, the report said BPS is facing competition from other unnamed buyout firms and has only begun the lengthy process required to buy Cabela’s. Competition is limited because firms are hesitant to purchase brands associated with firearms in the current political and legislative atmosphere, but it still exists.
- See more at: http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/bass-pro-purchase/#sthash.l097Vhes.dpuf

curt
06-23-2016, 12:53 PM
I can explain their discounts for you as I was going to work there went through the process worked for a week on training but they wanted me there for too many hrs i just couldnt pull it off as a part time job for fun anyway discounts as follows for employees that is anniversary date -2yrs service up to a max of 25% by that they mean depending on the mark up value guns there is very little mark up so you would get less less 2yrs-7yrs up to 40% again depending on the mark up a max of 40% after 7 yrs of service your discount is cost plus 5% there are more incentive programs for staff to get discounts from what i seen in my brief experience they are a great company to work for treat their staff awesome but demand performance which I was fine with. I would think anytime there is an employee discount opportunity I would say it would be no better than the "up to 25% deal"

Staff discount was offered to anyone who was invited last night. I don't understand how the tier system is calculated for the discount. But I do know I saved a good chunk of change.

Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 dead hold bdc was $659, minus whatever the discount would've been. Great scope, have it on all 6 of my Tikka's.

Riverbc
06-23-2016, 12:59 PM
a friend was there at 10:30 this morning. Not a parking spot to be found. She'll go back another day.

Iron Glove
06-23-2016, 01:14 PM
IG - once you know what you want, you can usually get stuff shipped free off their website (they usually have a free shipping promotion).

Yup, that's a regular occurrence in our household. :lol:
I wait for the "Free Shipping on $99 and over" but now they will ship the stuff to Abby if you ask, then it's a toss up, on line or drive to Abby. Wife would probably spend more at the store than on line. :sad:
Add in the "Can we stop for lunch, can we go to the Farmer's Market in Aggasiz, and such then it kinda gets expensive.

scoutlt1
06-23-2016, 06:04 PM
a friend was there at 10:30 this morning. Not a parking spot to be found. She'll go back another day.

I heard the same thing. Apparently they had flaggers directing traffic in and out of the parking lot.

No thanks. I'll head over there in a few months maybe.. :)

Wentrot
06-23-2016, 06:56 PM
I heard the same thing. Apparently they had flaggers directing traffic in and out of the parking lot.

No thanks. I'll head over there in a few months maybe.. :)

Indeed. Flaggers yesterday when I went. It was like parking at the PNE

ruger#1
06-23-2016, 07:29 PM
Go in off of Saltren Road. It is off of Marshall.

LupieHunter
06-23-2016, 07:32 PM
I was there yesterday for a vip day and again today at 730am for the grande opening. It was very well run and went very smoothly.

Deer_Slayer
06-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Went today and thought it was great. Staff are young and will learn with experience...it's only day 1. Nice to see lots of young "Canadians" hired. I'll go back fo sho

last light
06-23-2016, 08:22 PM
Went this morning as well for the grand opening. Very nice store! Friendly staff, loads of selection, beautiful taxidermy on display. Basically everything you need for any trip under one roof on your way out of town for most people in the lml. What else could you ask for?

Only downside was the huge crowds but that's to be expected for any opening. Will definitely be going back and spending $ at this store. Glad to have them here!

Riverbc
06-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Go in off of Saltren Road. It is off of Marshall.
I believe you mean Salton Road. They put up a light at the intersection of Salton and Marshall Roads, because of Cabelas. The have a sign for the residents on Salton Road warning of heavy congestion, June 23-29.

dime
06-24-2016, 10:16 PM
Bought a pellet gun to take care of problem raccoons, paid $124 for a 1250 fps Winchester with a 3-9 scope. Pretty great deal, put that raccoon down with one through the lungs at 20 yards, spent the rest of the evening plinking with my sons in the yard. Money well spent, and a raccoon cap in the works to boot.

ruger#1
06-25-2016, 09:52 AM
I believe you mean Salton Road. They put up a light at the intersection of Salton and Marshall Roads, because of Cabelas. The have a sign for the residents on Salton Road warning of heavy congestion, June 23-29. Sorry about the spelling. I might go there today. If its a big crowd. Then NO.

russm
06-25-2016, 12:47 PM
I was in there last night, still busy, the line up system at the gun counter cost them a scope sale though.

ruger#1
06-25-2016, 01:15 PM
Nice store. Bought something for the dog. Found parking easy. Just to much of a crowd for me. So I didn't stay long. Maybe Monday after work.

Buck
06-25-2016, 05:31 PM
I was in there last night, still busy, the line up system at the gun counter cost them a scope sale though.

It was worth waiting i saved $500.00 bucks on a Zeiss HD 5 i have been saving for made my day.

plumberjustin
06-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Checked out cabelas today around noon. It wasn't that busy in the store, but zero parking in the lot, had to park down the street. Was a great experience once inside. Picked up an islander steelheader centerpin reel I've been wanting for a while. Plenty of employees in the fishing department. Was assisted right away, and the guy shook my hand as he passed me the reel. Great selection, competitive prices, lots of sales. Will be going again before the fall.

digger dogger
06-26-2016, 08:28 AM
I went in on friday, no complaints here.

4x4
06-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Went Saturday. Very busy.
Great staff. Talked to lots of friendly people. Bought my first ever Camo jacket, shirt and hat and all on sale. Best prices I've seen on this gear in Canada. Glad I went during the opening.
Some good saving to be had for a few more days.

russm
07-11-2016, 05:20 PM
The procedure to bring a rifle into the store is a little over kill, first the security guard gets upitty because he didn't see you walk in and head towards customer service, then the woman abruptly tells you to come to the counter (the place you were heading anyway), once at the counter you wait 10 minutes or so while they repeatedly call some one to the front, when he shows up finally he'll shove your barrel into a tube thats mounted in the counter and continue to jam and jerk your bolt back and forth a few times, then it gets trigger locked and you're escorted to the back once at the gun counter the kid will drop your case on the floor.

I understand the need for safety when people are bringing guns in to a store but its a bit much, if you go to wss someone checks its not loaded and lets you carry it to the back with them, i don't need an escort, I'm not a child or criminal.

RiverOtter
07-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Sounds like a good time...

Was something wrong with your rifle?

russm
07-11-2016, 07:19 PM
No, i was just bringing it in to try and match up a scope/rings/bases

Downwindtracker2
07-12-2016, 07:35 AM
I didn't ask when I was in there, just checked bullets, but do they sell Ramshot powder?

Barracuda
07-13-2016, 01:04 AM
Bought a pellet gun to take care of problem raccoons, paid $124 for a 1250 fps Winchester with a 3-9 scope. Pretty great deal, put that raccoon down with one through the lungs at 20 yards, spent the rest of the evening plinking with my sons in the yard. Money well spent, and a raccoon cap in the works to boot.

sounds like a good deal . Im looking for a reasonably priced air rifle in .22 but for that price I might consider a .177. did they have any .22 air rifles?

Cyrus
07-13-2016, 06:41 PM
I also liked the store. Better than the Langley and Kamloops Wholesale Sports. Spent $800 so guess I found some stuff to buy...

Foxtail
07-14-2016, 05:54 AM
Store is pretty cool... Bought a belt. I liked the taxidermy myself.. The bison is amazing, staring down a couple of wolves.

ruger#1
07-14-2016, 06:05 AM
Store is pretty cool... Bought a belt. I liked the taxidermy myself.. The bison is amazing, staring down a couple of wolves.

I have been there three times.It never gets boring. Their fudge is good.My wife asked if I wanted a duck call. I showed her that I can do it all from my mouth. The only call needed is an elk call.