PDA

View Full Version : An opinion on Vortex from a reatailers prospective

Hammerhead
06-21-2016, 07:55 PM
Found this kind of interesting from a retailers prospective that sells the items that he is commenting on. Copied from an email I received from the retailer

Vortex makes products, IMO, designed to compete in the Asian mfg's arena (Nikon, Bushnell, Pentax, Leupold, Zen-Ray) as well as some Euro companies (Zeiss, Meopta, Minox). They, again IMO, offer a quality product priced slightly below a similar item from another mfg as well as producing some optics above the offerings of these other companies. They offer the finest warranty in the industry (full no questions asked coverage) which is not exclusive to them, however, the majority of companies do not offer the same.

Swarovski and Leica compete for the finest of the fine. They are in their own exclusive arena (Zeiss used to be there with them, however, they now offer entry level optics as well as the finest of the fine). Swaro & Leica do not offer any entry level options as this is not what their companies are about. BMW, Jaguar and Rolls Royce do not offer an entry level vehicles. It's not what they are about. GM offers entry level vehicles as well as high end Cadillacs. I would not expect GM to offer anything to compare to a Rolls, however, they make some great vehicles.

The Vortex Razor series is very high end. In a side by side with a top end Zeiss, Leica or Swaro some people will see a difference, and some will not. That depends on the eyesight of the viewer. Those that see a difference can then decide if the price difference warrants the difference they see. It is all very subjective and will always vary from person to person.

I know Vortex has put in a ton of resources the last five years to have their Very Own American Scope Factory. Coming soon you will find the new Vortex Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 - EBR-7 FFP MRAD #RZR-AMG-2 available here at Camera Land.

Vortex is moving in a direction to manufacture more of their products here in the USA. I for one am very excited about this. I think in the past decade they have made some amazing products, priced them right and stood behind all their offerings. This has made what was a barely known company a major player in the optics industry.

I don't think the Swarovski's or Leica's of the industry need to be concerned, however, the Nikon's of the industry certainly should be.

mike-juliet
06-22-2016, 08:53 PM
The Nikons, Bushnells, Burris of the industry already are concerned.

I started in this industry in 2010 when Vortex was starting to make waves. The warranty was the main selling point, and I watched the market share grow in my stores. Used to sell 10% vortex, 90% bushnell, nikon, leupold Now I sell 40% vortex, 60% everything else. Most other manufactures have revised the warranties they offer to compete. Vortex Canada takes great care of the dealers they have established, and this is crucial. I cant wait to see what else is coming down the pipe in the American produced line of optics.

Zedbra
06-29-2016, 07:45 AM
Hearing so many stories of "how awesome Vortex warranty ships a new scope" deterred me from the brand. I'd rather have a scope that never needs warranty to be used. Been more than happy with not needing to send in my Nikons.

Sunzuki
06-29-2016, 07:52 AM
Had a Diamondback and wasn't jumping for joy.
Eye relief was waning.
Love my Leupolds.

GetLethal
06-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Had a Diamondback and wasn't jumping for joy.
Eye relief was waning.
Love my Leupolds.

I also wanted more out of my diamondback, so I got a factory refurb Viper pst. Price was awesome and the scope is great.

AgSilver
06-29-2016, 10:18 AM
I really like the Razor HD LH that I looked at...so this has a real resonance with me. I need to compare similarly priced scopes, though. MeoStar, VX6, etc.

Pinewood
06-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Diamondback hp is an awesome scope for the money.

adriaticum
06-29-2016, 12:11 PM
Hey Steven Rinella uses Vortex, that's good enough for me ;)

Wentrot
06-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Zero complaints with em. Love my Viper HSLR, anyone who looks through it is pleasantly surprised.

Stormy
06-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Im not complaining my razor hd does the job nicely...

http://a68.tinypic.com/358z8zo.jpg

moosinaround
06-29-2016, 02:57 PM
I am slowly going to the Vortex side. I like how their scopes adjust, way better than my bushnell. I like the diamondback glass, way better than Bushnells glass. I will be replacing my bushnells with vortex, or Leupolds soon. Moosin

tikkahunter
06-29-2016, 03:09 PM
I am a huge vortex fan. That's all i have bought since I looked through a viper hs scope. To date, 6 viper hs scopes, 2 viper hd binos, and 1 razor hd bino. (wife and kids gear included). Really hard to beat for the price for the quality. The way I see it, the warranty shows how confident they are in the product. No business can stay in business if they are giving stuff away for free to replace broken items.
I should add that I've never had an issue with any of the vortex products I've bought.

hoochie
07-04-2016, 11:49 PM
Hearing so many stories of "how awesome Vortex warranty ships a new scope" deterred me from the brand. I'd rather have a scope that never needs warranty to be used. Been more than happy with not needing to send in my Nikons.

I had to read this a few times, and still don't understand your logic. Maybe you don't understand the warranty. Its there not because they think it will get broken, but they unconditionally repair or replace your broken scope.
For example; you hike up a rocky slide on a mountain, get to the top, then fall ass over tea kettle. When you land at the bottom hurt and bruised, you then see your scope is smashed to hell.
Limp yourself back to the truck and send your scope in for repair or replacement.

So when you buy a Nikkon, you will never have a shitty day?

Weatherby Fan
07-05-2016, 06:46 AM
I had to read this a few times, and still don't understand your logic. Maybe you don't understand the warranty. Its there not because they think it will get broken, but they unconditionally repair or replace your broken scope.
For example; you hike up a rocky slide on a mountain, get to the top, then fall ass over tea kettle. When you land at the bottom hurt and bruised, you then see your scope is smashed to hell.
Limp yourself back to the truck and send your scope in for repair or replacement.

So when you buy a Nikkon, you will never have a shitty day?

Simply what Zedbra is saying is he would rather use a scope that probably wont fail regardless of how good the warranty is.........that warranty won't do you a bit of good on your hunting trip no matter how good it is or even if it's an over the counter warranty, my family has used Leupold VX3 line of scopes for 30 years and have never lost a zero or had one warranty issue........ever, so even if Vortex's warranty is better than Leupold, Zeiss, Leica or any other company it still doesn't matter !

With that being said all optic companies have warranty issues, some just have more than others is all !

SSG-man
07-05-2016, 07:46 AM
I never buy a product based on warranty alone. The product has to suit me and perform for me the way I want it.

There are lots of good products with exceptional warranty.
Ill start with a couple examples

Hyundai is rated number one as far as warranty in the car business. People still buy Toyota and Honda.

Bryston amplifiers : best electronic warranty in the biz. Are they the best sounding amps? Cheapest?

hoochie
07-05-2016, 09:22 AM
I wasn't trying to say Vortex was the best scope due to their warranty, I was trying to say his argument against buying one struck me as odd.
"Hearing so many stories of "how awesome Vortex warranty ships a new scope" deterred me from the brand"
I can tell you there are 2 Leupold scopes in this house that have far more crisp and clear glass than my Vortex, but it is minimal. For the price point, I chose the Vortex. I have looked at other turret style scopes, and still cant get over the price point on them.