PDA

View Full Version : Quilts vs sleeping bags

Brew
06-20-2016, 01:38 PM
I have a few different bags right now and Im in the market for a ultralight bag or quilt that is for warmer weather early season hunts. Something with a temperature rating of -1 to 5 degrees.
Doing some research i have noticed lots of hype on quilts and there are a few quilts out there with some really nice features. I have looked at the revelation brand and really like what they have to offer.
Has anyone made the switch from a bag to a quilt and has it made your sleep any better when on the mountain? The quilt I'm thinking of is 19 ounces and goes down to -1. I tend to sleep on my side or stomach and find mummy bags too constricting.
Any thoughts?

PressurePoint
06-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Best quilt there is.... Some good "true" merina wool under layer. I find to keep things super lite weight is spend the cash and get some good quality real merino wool and then then a thin blanket. I prefer a bag because then ur insulated from the bottom as well.

wideopenthrottle
06-20-2016, 02:06 PM
For base camp, in the past, I have used all sorts and combos of fir bows, wool blankets, and sleeping bags on the ground ....I now only use a high tech low weight sleeping bag on a cot with a chunk of memory foam (more for warmth than padding) under me..The memory foam rolls quite tight so it doesn't take up a tonne of space...if I need more warmth I wear more cloths (like PJ's) and even a touque to sleep in

allan
06-20-2016, 02:31 PM
I use a big Agnes sleeping bag (hogan park xl?) with a neo air all season pad.
There is no bottom layer on my sleeping bag, to save on weight . just a sleeve that fits the pad into it.
Im a restless sleeper and a big guy 6'5" and since it's not a mummy bag it's very comfortable. I'm good to about -5, after that I start to get cold.

Useyourfeet
06-20-2016, 02:39 PM
I've went to a quilt last year and love it. I was sceptical but it is great and I see no reason to go back to a bag.

Brew
06-20-2016, 02:51 PM
I use a big Agnes sleeping bag (hogan park xl?) with a neo air all season pad.
There is no bottom layer on my sleeping bag, to save on weight . just a sleeve that fits the pad into it.
Im a restless sleeper and a big guy 6'5" and since it's not a mummy bag it's very comfortable. I'm good to about -5, after that I start to get cold.
ill look up this model. makes sense to not have fill on the bottom to save weight as i have read that the bottom of your sleeping bag doesn't insulate anyway.

Brew
06-20-2016, 02:52 PM
I've went to a quilt last year and love it. I was sceptical but it is great and I see no reason to go back to a bag.
I read this from a lot of quilt users and i think for the weather i will be in it will be the way to go.

BgBlkDg
06-20-2016, 03:00 PM
The situation is a bit more complex than that, be wary of the "advice" you read on many sites as some of the "gurus" who spew their opinions actually have VERY little real bush experience.

I was in Seattle, in 1989 and had Feathered Friends, make me a type of quilt that held a pad in a sleeve under the quilt top. This was for sheep/goat/mulie/elk hunting in the alpine and I used it often with some problems. I have always been a "warm" person and have slept out at very cold temps using light bags, but, in the South Chilkcotin and up Burrell Creek north of Grand Forks, at about 20*F, I was REALLY cold and this rig was rated to 32*F, which should have worked as I also had my merino baselayer and headcover.

So, I went to wide mummy bags, original Integral Designs, original Marmot Mtn. Works, Western Mountaineering and Valandre and have not spent ONE cold night since. I suggest a WM bag rated to 15 or 20*F and weighing 2-2.5 lbs for BC sheep hunting and think this more versatile and comfortable.

JMHO-YMMV.

shottyshooter
06-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Like BBD says - people say quilts are great - if you sleep stone still all night but if you move about or toss & turn at all you can start to lose all your body heat to drafts etc. I haven't checked it out but the Big Agnes with the sleeve seems interesting...

Useyourfeet
06-20-2016, 03:33 PM
All I know is I ran sleeping bags for a long time and find the quilt to be better for all but the coldest situations. My EE quilt has a sewn in foot box, can be strapped to the pad and a draw string at the top. If it is cold and its strapped to the pad the draft concern is not a problem. The flexibility and weight savings make it a winner in my book.

Stresd
06-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Had my Z-Packs Quilt/bag on quite a few packins over the years and it has never let me down. Comfortable, and Light weight at only 16.8 oz. Yet rated for 20 Degrees F (-7C)
Along with my Thermarest Neoair Xtherm, I have always been warm, in below freezing temps. Quilt and Pad together adds up to just a hair over 2 lbs.

mwj
06-20-2016, 04:18 PM
A couple of years ago I bought a Montbell UL super spiral hugger. This bag is the most roomy mummy bag I've had, lots of room to roll over or sit up cross legged. I also use a neo-air xtherm mattress underneath. I really wish I'd found this combo before, I haven't had a cold or uncomfortable night on the mountain since.

Brew
06-20-2016, 04:30 PM
I'm thinking a quilt also because it's more for early season hunts. I have a -30 bag and a -10 bag as well. Spent a few cold nights goat hunting in the snow with bigboar and for sure will keep my minus 30 for those type of hunts.
this bag or quilt will be for early season bighorn and mule deer hunts.

SR80
06-21-2016, 06:36 AM
I also switched from a bag to a EE quilt this year. I was always sceptical of quilts. Ive only spent a couple nights in mine so far, but I really like it so far. A lot more roomy than a mummy bag, a lot lighter. Straps to your pad and doesnt move. I believe EE has a great return policy if you do not like it.

Brew
06-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to order the EE quilt. They have a really good return policy if I don't like it. 60 days to send it back for any reason.

BgBlkDg
06-21-2016, 09:14 AM
So, you are on a steep cliff, must camp there overnight and can only sleep semi-recumbent for safety......happens in the mountains more often than many realize. HOW, can you sit all night this way, stay warm and avoid hypothermia, when it is 10*F on opening day in the Kootenay sheep/goat mountains?

Quilts, are fine for some uses, mostly camping in relatively "easy" country, but, for all mountain uses, I think that a GOOD bag is superior.

Oh, have I actually done this....yes, more than once.

Brew
06-21-2016, 09:53 AM
So, you are on a steep cliff, must camp there overnight and can only sleep semi-recumbent for safety......happens in the mountains more often than many realize. HOW, can you sit all night this way, stay warm and avoid hypothermia, when it is 10*F on opening day in the Kootenay sheep/goat mountains?

Quilts, are fine for some uses, mostly camping in relatively "easy" country, but, for all mountain uses, I think that a GOOD bag is superior.

Oh, have I actually done this....yes, more than once.

I get what your saying BgBlkDg.I too have been in the problem you mentioned once. If you look up some youtube reviews on this quilt you will see it can almost become a mummy bag and i do have other bags as well. This quilt is for hunting sheep in the 3-17, 3-32 or early season region 8 if i get a draw. Can get by without a bag in these places in September. Maybe not the snakes though