PDA

View Full Version : Battle Scarred Bruin

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2007, 05:18 AM
Well, with the bow needing a little work and the kids busy doing "kids stuff", I grabbed the iron and headed out yesterday late afternoon to look for another bear. Bear season has already been successful for me so anything else would be a bonus.
I had a particular clearcut in mind that I hoped would produce. Never seen any bears there but for some reason it looked like a good spot.
I came around a corner on the TW and there in the middle of the road was the ugliest bear you could imagine. His coat was almost 100% rubbed and he had a mug only a mother could love:shock:.

I finally pulled into the large cut that I had in mind and sure enough there, about 700yds away, was a sow and a boar. A quick check with the binos told me to close the gap for a better look. I quickly made my way to the tree edge and eased closer just in time to see both bears hit the timber.
I moved into position and got comfy and waited. Sure enough out pops one bear and begins feeding mostly hidden by new growth and the contour of the land. Looks like the sow. About 15 mins later the boar decides to come out and join the sow. She looked like a decent size but he towered over her pretty good. I got within 100yds a few different times but no shot was presented. That's okay as I don't really care if I connect or not. Finally, I follow them towards the road at the top of the cut and he steps up quatering away. One shot with from the .270 and the 140gn TSX does it's job!8)
Best part about it was he dropped about 20 yds from the road.

After chasing the sow away I headed back for the bike. Bullet broke both shoulders and ended up resting against the hide on the far side. A picture perfect TSX!8)
This bear was not rubbed at all but he has scars on every part of his body including a ripped tongue.
Beer Belly was an "Eater" this guy was a "Scrapper".

He ended up squaring 6'11". Skull's in the freezer in one piece. Must be tiny:-D!
As Kramer said "I'm out!!" All tagged out. I was hoping to get one with my bow but that'll have to wait for next year.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2007, 05:20 AM
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/BattleScarredBruin003.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/BattleScarredBruin005.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/BattleScarredBruin007.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/BattleScarredBruin009.jpg

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2007, 05:23 AM
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/BattleScarredBruin001.jpg

SSS

Fisher-Dude
06-13-2007, 05:34 AM
Wow! You really are the Bruin Slayer this year! Good job! Now all I wanna see is the pic of you on the TW with that guy slung on your pack, driving through downtown Region 9. :wink:

BTW, I like my pepperonis medium hot. 8)

dana
06-13-2007, 05:50 AM
SSS,
What a great bear to end your great season with. Congrats Big Time!

The Hermit
06-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Nice bear!!

hunter1947
06-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Nice bear Steve ,more peps ,and one more fawn saved ,good going.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Krico
06-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Cool! That tongue looks nasty, ouch!

pupper
06-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Nice job steve, looks like a good bear.

nice paw on him too.

let us know what the skull scores after its cleaned.

Justin

Phil
06-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Nice work on that monster bear!!

BCBear
06-13-2007, 07:46 AM
He ended up squaring 6'11".

Nice bruin Steve:-D Good pics and story too. Can someone tell me what does squaring mean???

Mr. Dean
06-13-2007, 08:12 AM
It's almost as big as my ex-girlfriend... She was a true monster.

Nice example of a blackie. Good goin!
I'm glad that you don't live in langley. :roll: I've had my fill of Bears. :mrgreen:

one-shot-wonder
06-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Good Job Steve,

Neat bear for sure! What are you're plans with it? He looks pretty enough for a head mount at least. :biggrin:

I am jealous of you and the amount of time you have been able to get out for chasing bars! I am going to have to really luck out this fall, or make a trip to a salmon "bearing" river if I am not going to eat my 2 bear tags.

Brambles
06-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Nice Bear SSS, too bad Calvin wasn't there to back you up:wink:

I too want to see how you got him home on that little dinky bike, did you bone everything out, still makes for a heavy pack, at least it did on my bear.

6'11" square, thats smokin, update us when you flesh out and measure the skull, be interesting to see if he's a meat head like beer belly. sure has a bunch of scars on his face and that tongue is a MESS.

Would you have been able to take him with the bow? or did you need then boomstick?

BCrams
06-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Good way to end the season. He's a character bear compared to your other one.

Like everyone else is wondering, any pics of you ripping through K town with that bike / pack and bear ??

srupp
06-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Well done..again...:roll:..what a character bruin..cant even remember hearing of a ripped tongue..what a scrapper indeed...

Steven:grin:

Mr. Dean
06-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Can someone tell me what does squaring mean???

I asked earlier in another Bear thread... Nose to tail + Front wing-span (toe - toe) Divided by 2 = Squared Bear.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2007, 09:16 AM
I just tied his paws together, slipped them over my head and tied his feet to the footpegs. You should have seen the looks I got while I cruised down Bernard:D:wink:!!

I was only half hour from home so I booted down to a friend's house and 4 of us headed back up. It's a helluva lot easier having 4 guys and tossing a big bear into the back of a pickup than to go it alone(only costing me a case of beer8)). I don't think I could have drug him the 20 yds to the road if I didn't have a heavy rope with me. Grabbing a paw and heaving just doesn't cut it when you've got some mass on the ground.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Brambles_ I had in mind to get within bow range and only take a shot like I had a bow in my hands(just for practice). But the bears would keep moving pretty fast and there was not a lot of cover in this particular cutblock. Plus it was pretty crunchy in places.

Pretty bagged today. Got to bed just in time to get up for work:roll:. Next one's going to have to be a booner:???:.

SSS

WoodOx
06-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Thats awesome B - Very unique with those scars...

When you guys say squared, are you measuring paw to paw, adding then dividing by two?

Cheers

WoodOx
06-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Disregard that, I jsut saw Mr Deans answer to someone else squaring it.

Thanks

steepNdeep
06-13-2007, 10:35 AM
NICE BOAR Brent!! Looks like a warrior straight outta the UFC - even got a big tatty on his chest! 8) Good thing Cal wasn't there... ;)

I've had Luna out on 6 bears now (mostly from the yard)... she loves it and holds them at bay in the forest. I had a good cinnamon boar that she bayed up in my sights at 20 yards, but it was on my neighbours acreage. I might have to chase some pussy this winter (if I can handle 2-Stroke for that long) :shock:...

ursus
06-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Nice one, he sure is scarred up! Good on you!

StoneChaser
06-13-2007, 11:31 AM
You're a bear killin' machine... awesome boar!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Steep-I had you in mind when I looked at him on the ground. I took a "OTB" measurement just for you W. Koot boyz. Now only if I can remember which knot it was:roll:.

UFC??-I think he's lacking those "crazy ears" most of those guys are sporting:grin:.

I think Calvin's been pretty busy with that puzzle that I made for him. I'm pretty sure ole Scar Face has a small noodle. ALL the big ones get smashed:icon_frow.

SSS

Nimrod
06-13-2007, 04:03 PM
looks like he was a scrapper , where those old scars or this years, did you notice any puncture wound when you skinned him.
character bear like that are great, good job.

Kirby
06-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Congrats on the wicked bear. You do know that your gonna see a 9' 1000 lb bear in the fall now right? Lets hope he has less meat than the last guy8)

Wonder how many more are gonna fall before the season closes?

Kirby

greenhorn
06-13-2007, 04:42 PM
I just tied his paws together, slipped them over my head and tied his feet to the footpegs. You should have seen the looks I got while I cruised down Bernard:D:wink:!!

Now that's a funny mental picture! :)

Any idea how old he was? Do the older ones scrap more/less?

bruin
06-13-2007, 04:50 PM
great bruin and an excellent way to end the season. Definitely alot of character in him

tracker
06-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Looks like someone shot that bear in the face with a 12 gauge shotgun !!!:mrgreen:
Good coat on him still,was he high up the hill? congrats on another fine bruin!!

BCLongshot
06-13-2007, 05:01 PM
That is bloody awesome !!!

Especially the part of driving through Kelowna.

My brother/law did that with a deer on his bike through Vernon and then home to Kelowna.

boxhitch
06-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Good on ya, SSS. Shoulder shot ? must of hit lower than POAim ?
The young bruins of the block will be glad that guy is taken out, freeing up some _oontan_ !! (not sure what is P.C. here anymore :()

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2007, 09:32 PM
I still like BHB's theory of another shooter...... from a Grassy slide. Maybe the Madtrapper heard that Calvin is good friends with 2-stroke:-D.

Bullet weighed 139.8 gns after cleaning. Close enough that I'm calling it 100% weight retention.

Thanks to all on here that turned me on to the TSX's. S/C, Gate and even Bartel:wink:. Pretty Skookum bullet!
After two shoulders and everything in between.....here's what it looked like.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/BattleScarredBruin016.jpg
You can't ask for much more than that!

Kirby-I'm not too worried about running into that 1000lb monster in the fall. I don't see much bush that time of year:cry:.
SSS

tufferthandug
06-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Nice work on the Bruin Blastin this year! Nice Bear.

alremkin
06-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Good bear and good pics. I found it hard to tell how big the bear is until it's next to the bike.

calvin L
06-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Great job again steve . I don't remember the phone call that night about going out hunting :wink:. I will clean up the skull for you PLEASE:mrgreen:. For some reason I think you may have had the bear in front of you on the TW :confused:Again good job I will call you before I leave on sunday N O .

Stone Sheep Steve
06-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Calvin- We should head out on the TW Fri night to get you a bear with your bow. You can drive!:shock:..........:D

AR-When I first walked up to the bear I thought I was having experiencing some serious ground shrinkage. He was on his side curled up. I only walked to within 10 yds and then went to get the bike. When I finally rolled him over I realized he wasn't as small as I first thought.

I set the timer on the camera and jumped in for a pic but I had no where to sit and ended up looking like a playboy model lying on my side:roll:. I tried to re-position the bear but I had a hard time moving him and he got really dirty. It definitely helps to have some sort of reference to tell a bear's size, both when he's alive and on the ground. The sow sure helped me out.
Even when the guys helped me load him they only thought he was just "a good bear". It wasn't until we had him in my garage that they realized how big he actually was(they don't bear hunt).

Most of those scars are old but he did have a few pussy bite marks on his body. It looks like he had to battle hard over the years to get to the top but I'm sure there is still another good bear in the area.

SSS

StoneChaser
06-14-2007, 08:06 AM
SSS, hold onto that TSX....you're not likely to find a ton of 'em:mrgreen:

Man that bear is beat up...most character I've ever seen on a bruin (must be a nasty old sow around that is into the "tough love") :mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
06-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to find at least one more bullet (with a little help from Calvin:roll:).

Never found the bullet that did-in BB. Only clipped the top part of the far shoulder.

SSS

Elkhound
06-14-2007, 02:43 PM
It's a meat head......it will score 15 4/16ths. LOL

Nice job......congrats on another great bear. Well done

Flinch
06-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Brutal and heartless Steve! All winter long he is dreamin about the ladies and boom Skull Smasher nails him. I mean we all know how hard it can be to get some sometimes. The only reason you could stalk up to him a few times is because he probably had some Burt Bacharach playing for her!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Brutal and heartless Steve! All winter long he is dreamin about the ladies and boom Skull Smasher nails him. I mean we all know how hard it can be to get some sometimes. The only reason you could stalk up to him a few times is because he probably had some Burt Bacharach playing for her!

Ahhh, come on! I'm sure he had some yum-yum last year so he should have nothing to complain about. That's more than I can say for myself...but I shouldn't complain. At least it looks like he was willing to fight for it. I just usually give up and go hunting:roll:.

Actually, when the boar came out of the bush about 10-15mins after the sow, he fed for a bit then plopped down in the middle of a bush and just rested. I'm pretty sure he was in "recovery" mode8). I thought I would be able to get really close but he got up when the sow fed too far ahead.

SSS