PDA

View Full Version : Good sign

tadpole
06-20-2016, 05:46 AM
Yesterday, coming from fishing I witnessed 2 huge elks(big antlers in a velvet) in a 3-12 connector Penask area. Never had seen them before in a this area and it is my hunting home grounds. It is a good sign for the future.:). And a week ago 4 moose by the fence. Indeed thing are changing in area.

Ltbullken
06-20-2016, 09:04 AM
Elk in 3-12? cool!

gmachine19
06-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Saw lots of elk tracks up in Harrison last week. It really is a good sign.

Fisher-Dude
06-20-2016, 10:28 AM
No elk season in R3.

I've seen them by the Aspen Grove turnoff. Must be coming up from Princeton area.

cbarclay
06-20-2016, 10:42 AM
I've heard Elk bugling while camping on the Pennask Plateau. Let's hope this trend continues :)

BigfishCanada
06-20-2016, 10:50 AM
As long as anyone that takes one without a Gov tag is prosecuted. I have seen a herd get taken out in region 3-28.

But very good sign, im hearing that in various spots

hardnocks
06-20-2016, 10:59 AM
As long as anyone that takes one without a Gov tag is prosecuted. I have seen a herd get taken out in region 3-28.

But very good sign, im hearing that in various spots
a herd got taken out in 3-27 as well .

wideopenthrottle
06-20-2016, 11:04 AM
it is kinda sad to see how fearless elk are when not hunted...it almost seems like there should be some sort of special "scare hunt" prior to opening an elk herd up to full hunting...it should be a year of chasing them with bear bangers and dogs on a leash or something of that sort to give a chance to fear us

RiverOtter
06-20-2016, 11:12 AM
On a 6pt only season, there shouldn't be a concern. Elk wise up fast.

Spy
06-20-2016, 11:39 AM
it is kinda sad to see how fearless elk are when not hunted...it almost seems like there should be some sort of special "scare hunt" prior to opening an elk herd up to full hunting...it should be a year of chasing them with bear bangers and dogs on a leash or something of that sort to give a chance to fear us
Archery season educates them pretty quick ;-)

wideopenthrottle
06-20-2016, 11:49 AM
well quick might not be quick enough if the whole herd all get shot in a couple of ceremonial hunts

srupp
06-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Hmm starting to sound like Suffield Alberta .....
Srupp

Spy
06-20-2016, 11:54 AM
well quick might not be quick enough if the whole herd all get shot in a couple of ceremonial hunts
Could not agree more with you, especially when the killing happens at night.

Glenny
06-20-2016, 12:25 PM
And when its found out where they are here. :roll:

butthead
06-20-2016, 08:12 PM
i know were ill be opening day now.
hope to see all of you up there.

walks with deer
06-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Yes I saw a elk 20min test out of kamloops in a area I haven't seen them before last week..seems there's more and more..

Jagermeister
06-20-2016, 11:19 PM
You guys dream the impossible dream.
It will never happen.
The "Nightshooters'" harvest will preclude any chance of an opening and even if the animals are so wary to escape decimation you will not be able to get off the blacktop to gain access to what little "Crown" land that is left.
That is if you don't get involved.

250 sav
06-20-2016, 11:27 PM
a herd got taken out in 3-27 as well .

I've been told you can see remnants of that herd on a shed roof near the little river.

250 sav
06-20-2016, 11:36 PM
On a 6pt only season, there shouldn't be a concern. Elk wise up fast.

Region 3,5.6 should have the same six point season as the Prince George area

Fisher-Dude
06-21-2016, 02:01 PM
i know were ill be opening day now.
hope to see all of you up there.

Better take your camera, 'cause that's the only thing you can shoot them with.

HarryToolips
06-21-2016, 11:03 PM
And this is why a 6 pt season would be good in Region 3, it'll smarten em up before the supposed 'stewards of the land' get to them..

BTF
06-22-2016, 09:02 PM
interesting article, sounds like elk existed in Peachland long ago.http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a477/fodeyb/Peachland%20elk_zpsf6kk4iiw.jpg~original

HarryToolips
06-22-2016, 09:17 PM
^^^^interesting....

HarryToolips
06-22-2016, 09:34 PM
You guys dream the impossible dream.
It will never happen.
The "Nightshooters'" harvest will preclude any chance of an opening and even if the animals are so wary to escape decimation you will not be able to get off the blacktop to gain access to what little "Crown" land that is left.
That is if you don't get involved.
There's lots of crown land in that area..Douglas Lake Ranch owns a lot of land to the North of that area, but still plenty of crown land....I think if region 8 has a 6 pt season, with a lot of FN hunting pressure in the area, it's shown that these animals adapt..sure, they take small herds here and there, but over the last bunch of years the elk numbers have increased, according to the regional bios..enough in fact that compulsory inspection of elk in R8 has been removed..Ive not hunted nor been around long enough to know first hand when the season started in region 8 and what the herd(s) strength was, but I have talked to several who say the elk numbers were not very high in region 8 when they first opened the 6 pt season..so, why not open a 6 pt elk season up in region 3, put it on compulsory inspection, and maybe these herds in region 3 will adapt to the pressure accordingly, just like in region 8..and as conservationists, we can do our part and scare em off the roads etc when we see em to infuse caution into them to keep them from the 'night-shooters'? Ok fire away at my proposal folks..

wideopenthrottle
06-23-2016, 07:01 AM
There's lots of crown land in that area..Douglas Lake Ranch owns a lot of land to the North of that area, but still plenty of crown land....I think if region 8 has a 6 pt season, with a lot of FN hunting pressure in the area, it's shown that these animals adapt..sure, they take small herds here and there, but over the last bunch of years the elk numbers have increased, according to the regional bios..enough in fact that compulsory inspection of elk in R8 has been removed..Ive not hunted nor been around long enough to know first hand when the season started in region 8 and what the herd(s) strength was, but I have talked to several who say the elk numbers were not very high in region 8 when they first opened the 6 pt season..so, why not open a 6 pt elk season up in region 3, put it on compulsory inspection, and maybe these herds in region 3 will adapt to the pressure accordingly, just like in region 8..and as conservationists, we can do our part and scare em off the roads etc when we see em to infuse caution into them to keep them from the 'night-shooters'? Ok fire away at my proposal folks..

like like double like..