PDA

View Full Version : calling for bears....

nuadixion
06-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Just wandering if anyone has an experience with calling for black bears?
What you use and how?
Last hunt I had encounter with a black bear and started calling....the reaction was very interesting...will definitively employ this strategy in the future.

Glenny
06-18-2016, 05:25 PM
I would assume a fawn in distress would bring just about anything in.

boxhitch
06-18-2016, 05:39 PM
Have not tried calling blind , but have had a few spotted and then come to a noise. Not sure which call, one was injured rabbit distress iirc , another was just squealing hard with a blade of grass between the thumbs, another was a cow elk call but blown with some enthusiasm . Key is to be constant , have seen them coming and then sort of get bored or distracted and wander off.

blindcast
06-18-2016, 05:39 PM
There's an article on how to call black bears in the May/June issue of Western Woods & Waters magazine. The author, Kevin Wilson, relates his experience with calling bears, what kind of call to use, how to set up, where to call. All kinds of stuff.

srupp
06-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Hmmm has worked with rabbit distress call..

If you have time google FRANK THE TANK..its a 22 minute video of the pending # 2 brown bear harvested with bow and arrow..called in to spitting distance .demonstrating just how well it works .

Imo this video is the all time best hunting video ever produced..and puts 99.9 % of the wild tv shooting bears at donut barrels..

Well worth checking out..imo.
Cheers
Steven

RiverOtter
06-18-2016, 06:36 PM
The Wayne Carleton bear call has called several bears into my lap.

On "spot and call" sets I've noticed 3 trends:

1)They totally ignore the call and feed, walk or run away
2)They go into stalk mode and start to circle around you sneaky style
3)They come to the call at a full run.

A bears mind can be hard to change once its made up, so be prepared you may need to shoot a bear you don't necessarily want to; it happens. Generally though, you need to stay on the call as bears seem to have a short attention span.

bassplayer
06-18-2016, 06:43 PM
I've called them in when cow calling for moose.

nuadixion
06-18-2016, 08:14 PM
All observations "bang on"....i used blade of grass while taking a rest in "strategic" position by the cut...next thing i see is a bb coming at me.....when I stopped he just lost interest.....
Gotta see that Frank video...
Thx all.

Glenny
06-18-2016, 09:10 PM
I've called them in when cow calling for moose.

Had that with a cougar , he got way too close. Best to call and keep moving.

Steeleco
06-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Rabbit distress call got my bear in May to close the 400yd gap to 75yds before he started to doubt his ears.

bassplayer
06-18-2016, 09:42 PM
Had that with a cougar , he got way too close. Best to call and keep moving.
True. A balling cow call can easily be mistaken for a cub in distress or for a cougar that thinks that they hear the dinner bell when they hear what he/she thinks is a moose.

kush
06-19-2016, 11:28 PM
https://www.amazon.ca/No-Bait-Just-Bears-Hunting-ebook/dp/B00U6E8IR2?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
I bought this.
Writtn by a washington huntr.
I think it's worth it for th low $$$

tigrr
06-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Bear calling works. Just be prepared for any type of bear when in grizzly country. Adrenalin rush second to none. Never again in the bush. Only in open areas.
thanks for that video Steven.

HarryToolips
06-20-2016, 07:01 PM
I've done the blade of grass thing, but hasn't worked for me yet, but heck I sound like sumpin dying so I know it'll work eventually..

adamsarich09
06-20-2016, 08:51 PM
Electric calls are illegal right?

jamesvtr
06-20-2016, 09:59 PM
Electric calls are illegal right?
electric calls can not be used for bears

wideopenthrottle
06-21-2016, 08:58 AM
I can't seem to find the one you mean..can u post a link please

skibum
06-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Anyone use a call that mimics the sound of another bear - to bring in a dominant boar?

Just hear a pod cast where this worked on a coastal grizzly, wondering if it would work on a black

Drillbit
06-21-2016, 10:26 AM
electric calls can not be used for bears

found it

34. To use recorded or electronic calls to huntwildlife except Wolf, Coyote, Cougar, Lynxor bobcat or any bird listed in Schedule C