PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear Habitat/Movement questions

JIL_24/7
06-16-2016, 05:59 PM
So I am south of Princeton hoping to get shot at a bear and I have a couple questions. Last two falls I have been in the same spot and seen a number of bears including a really big boar. Three weeks ago I took my daughter up for a night and there was a ton of fresh sign which from the looks of it was the same boar in the same area as the fall. Fast forward to yesterday and today. No fresh sign at all. Only sign is what was there three weeks ago. No bear sightings at all. Would the boar more than likely have moved on? It did snow most of the day yesterday and it was -5 last night/this morning which might add to fewer sightings. Where are bears feeding in the spring before berries? Does the rut cause a lot of movement? Sorry for all the questions, but I have never has trouble finding bears up here until now. Thanks for any advice or PM'S!

srupp
06-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Bears learn..or die..so when they find food in spring..mostly grass etc..bears are omnivores. So south facing openings..or large cutblocks or along rds where the sun can warm the earth and grass can grow.fall food consists of greens but berries are much more sought out for hjgher caloric input..better yet is salmon or carrion.
By june the rut is on and yes they can move significant distances. .they follow the sow in heat..usually going up hill in elevation.
It could be the same bear leaving scat that looks like last spring. .but chances are its not.
Black bears inhabit thesame valley but use different parts in spring..and fall..
I would try a little higher..and water this year isnt a issue..its everywhere..cover different elevations...concentrate last hour of day. .but since your there fairly early..mid day..but big boars really come out at last light .
The better quality grass , greens mature slowly moving up in elevation...
Watch for tracks. .should be plenty with all the water..boars should still be with sows..smaller boars trying to horn dog infor some action..
Before berries..its grass..dandelions. .greens.then it moves to quality than quantity. .so berries..

Rut does cause movement..yes..
The snow will cause more movement..rquires more fuel to deal with this abnormal cold..
Its really hard to determain from poop if its the same bear as last spring ..im sceptical..its hard enough to distinguish individual besrs when you see 2 black bears..unless chest patch..or extreme big off color animal .

Good luck

Steven